The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It can look like this:

We've had this trailer less than 3 weeks and after crossing a bridge 10 minutes from the border, the beams going from the front of the trailer to the hitch point buckled. We dragged it probably 150 feet or so before we could pull over.

10 minutes or so from the border at Niagara Falls.

Fortunately our bass player has a bandmate in Buffalo who is very gracious, very helpful and allowed us to leave our POS trailer in his driveway (after storing Jaret's car for two weeks).

We had to flatbed the trailer back to buffalo, and get a Uhaul rental to get to our St. Catharines gig.

Fortunately the room we played was pretty awesome and there was an audience to watch it.

Gonna be sorting all this out later. We're not impressed.

L

·
0 Posts
That sucks big time.
Hopefully, just getting it welded up will do the trick.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks big time.
Hopefully, just getting it welded up will do the trick.
Fortunately our singer's dad knows a few people in the area who can help out. The fact that the metal just buckled makes us wonder how good the current material really is.

What looked like a decent deal, wasn't.

P

·
0 Posts
I got a Yorkville mp6 from a lady who had a bar. Didn't test it. I was such a ding dong. Got home. Every single pot crackled without remedy. $300. Gonner.
open it up and spray each pot with Deoxit and turn each one back and forth 30 times.

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
That's the problem with Kijiji. Buyer beware,... unfortunately

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
That sucks but don't dispair, it's a easy repair for any decent welding shop. Before you do anything, determine what caused it (overloading, damage or corrosion or all of the above)

I suspect it was lightly manufactured like some/most trailers are and the wall thickness was light to begin with.
Corrosion though is killer in trailers with tube frames. Tubing rusts out from the inside out because of condensation and uncoated steel. Channel frames last much longer

But as I say, it can be repaired

P

·
0 Posts
What's the maximum weight capacity of the trailer?

How much weight is your load?

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What's the maximum weight capacity of the trailer?

How much weight is your load?
I think the max weight for the trailer is 1200+ pounds, but I didn't look at the capacity plate. That said, our gear is roughly 600 pounds. I think corrosion was the cause of the problem.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. Did you not bend down and look at the metal structure and integrity before buying.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. Did you not bend down and look at 1stthe metal structure and integrity before buying.
Sometimes hard to determine without hitting it with a hammer. Frames always rot on the bottom of the tube 1st (inside mostly)

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can put lipstick on a pig but it is still a pig. Did you not bend down and look at the metal structure and integrity before buying.
Given only one of us was there and its not his first trailer, Im going to say yes it was looked over ;)

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
That is really too bad. I remember the problem you had finding a trailer and getting it to where you needed it. I am sure some of my friends in the area could recommend someone for you if you need some help that way.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Sometimes hard to determine without hitting it with a hammer. Frames always rot on the bottom of the tube 1st (inside mostly)
Hard to tell from picture if it is boxed tubing or open channel. I agree with you if it is boxed tubing. If it is open channel you will see the rot.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
Yeah, that really sucks. Happened to me about 30 years ago on our way to a gig. The tongue just broke in half. Makes really nice fireworks at night.LOL. Hope you get it sorted out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts