The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for the electric and acoustic guitarists and bass players here. When you break a string do you just replace the string that you broke or do you start fresh with a new set of strings?

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
New set or just an hour or so I would take a new string from another pack bcs I buy them bulk.

At some point once they have not a lot more time but no longer newish I would change the set.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I would change the whole set...
If the first string breaks, the others are probably done...

But, I never play on stage and so have much time to change strings.

P.S. I cannot remember breaking a string since I change strings when they age
(color change with sustain lost and musdier tone).

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
I simply don't break strings, but if I did I would subscribe to Wardo's post above.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
New set. Chances are I broke the string because I waited too long to change them.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I usually change them all. Eventually.
I also usually yell at the guitar and give it a time out in a case for an undetermined amount of time.

·
Registered
24,719 Posts
If you have nine kids, when one of them gets a hole in their sock, you don't buy them a new pair of socks; you darn that sock.

I don't break strings often, but there are a lot of guitars leaning against the stand.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I don’t remember the last time I broke a string playing although I busted one awhile ago when I was stretching it after installing a new set.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Lance tagged it.
If a string breaks that guitar is bad luck and should be sold immediately.
I don't tolerate incompetence, even from a guitar.
;)

Reactions: mhammer

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I change the whole set.
I also take a spare guitar with me for just in case that happens.
Not that it does.
I almost always change strings the day before a gig.
Play them for an hour or so to give them a chance to stretch out before playing in public.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
I have a very complex matrix of conditions and situations that dictates how many strings I will change. It takes a Cray to come up with the solution in most cases, but if I'm gigging, yea, I just replace the broken one. Then, I wait till I'm back home before I fire up the supercomputer and go from there.

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Speaking about breaking strings, my first string (.10 E string D'addarios 10-46) keeps breaking. It seems to break down in the bridge block. Checked for rough spots in the block, but nothing found. Have ordered some Ernie Ball RPS strings, I'll see how they work out.

P

·
0 Posts
I was breaking high e strings awhile back so I bought packs of just the high e strings. I use 9-42 Ernie Ball Super Slinky's and they sell packs of 6 just e strings. But I have not had that problem for some time.

P

·
0 Posts
Speaking about breaking strings, my first string (.10 E string D'addarios 10-46) keeps breaking. It seems to break down in the bridge block. Checked for rough spots in the block, but nothing found. Have ordered some Ernie Ball RPS strings, I'll see how they work out.
Get a set of magnifying glasses or a USB microscope. You might find a small burr or sharp edge on the saddle.

·
Registered
14,942 Posts
I haven't broken a string in years--last time was while I was changing strings--had a defective one--so in a sense I did change the whole set--but in another sense I didn't replace all the others I'd already changed.

Back when I broke them more often I would normally just change the one that broke--unless the others were going dead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts