The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Grammys thread, I mentioned that Bruno Mars' tune "Locked out of heaven" could be one of the best tunes that the Police never did in the last 30 years.

It's not the first time that somebody has got inside the mind and groove of an established artist and written a song that is almost exactly like what their inspiration would have done and could have done. It's not copying per se, but more like channeling the artist at their best.

Here's a few more (and you're cordially invited to offer up your own examples). For instance, the terrific little Irish movie "Sing Street" is a kind of complement to The Commitments, but taking place in the mid-80's, and the band is a bunch of high-school kids. It features a great little fantasy video sequence, where the main character sings an original tune (great soundtrack) that could have been the best thing Phil Collins ever did at his peak.
Here's another one from Paul Westerberg that could have easily been done by Keith Richards, either with or without **** singing. When I first heard it, my immediate thought was "Best Stones tune in years!".

G

·
'Sing Street' may be a little too poppy for Phil. Maybe some diva with autotune? lol.
I could picture the Stones doing 'Gun Shy' for sure though.

Cool thread concept. I'll be back over the next few days.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Now we get into that fine line between 'inspired' and 'rip-off'. :D
Seeing as you started out with The Police, I heard this one on the radio and wondered whether the guy came out of a Police cover band or just likes them a lot, or what?

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gun Shy reminds me more of Costello and Petty than Stones....if you don't count the intro :)

But writing in the style of is good practice
It's the rhythm guitar and the lazy beat. I can almost see Charlie Watts playing that loose high hat that he does. It's got the same feel as "Get Off My Cloud", but with a chord structure that comes from much later in the Stones' evolution. That's what made the association for me. Understandably other aspects may elicit dfferent associations for other people.

"Writing in the style of" is perhaps more complex than one might think. These days, it also involves imagining the production style as well. One needs to almost entirely deconstruct multiple tunes to be able to decipher the "essence" of what one wishes to emulate. In the early days of the Beatles, they were encouraged to start off tunes with harmonica (e.g., Love Me Do), largely to emulate hits of the time like "Hey Baby" by Bruce Chanel (with Delbert McClinton on harmonica) and "I Remember You" by Frank Ifield. But those were more gimmicks than any sort of attempt to capture the style of songwriting or song construction.

·
Premium Member
27,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now we get into that fine line between 'inspired' and 'rip-off'. :D
Seeing as you started out with The Police, I heard this one on the radio and wondered whether the guy came out of a Police cover band or just likes them a lot, or what?

Andy Summers called. He wants his bridge pickup back. Definitely Police-influenced. Mind you, Bedouin Soundclash are probably closer to that than this band. I guess for me there's a bit of a difference between being merely influenced by someone, and generating a tune that one thinks the "influence" should have probably done themselves. I dunno. Maybe I'm grasping at straws here.

·
Registered
12,873 Posts
I remember when the Cult Electric album first came out,
the drummer in the band had mentioned that "It was the best album AC/DC put out in years!".

Personally, at the end of Love Removal Machine, I always thought of Led Zepplins Communication Breakdown.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts