The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have read my other threads about looking for a Bandit it will make sense, lol ! Last weekend bought a Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 because I can't find a Bandit, this weekend a made in USA red stripe Bandit .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
A music store owner told me that the Bandit was "the best amplifier ever made". Yes, he did have all the other snobby stuff in the store. I think he meant bang-for-buck. He was that kind of guy. Playing first. Gear second. He was also a big fan of the Classic 30.

My opinion: the old Bandit sounds good, lasts forever, no repairs, easy to carry, low cost. Do I want one? Don't need it, but if I lost everything, it would be a good re-starting point. Don't know about the new ones...

I would really like to try the new(er) Nashville 112. Nothing wrong with solid state, if done well.

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey sambonee

For me it is kind of a combination of nostalgia and enjoyment. The Bandit is just an all around good sounding amp. Plug straight in , use pedals, doesn't matter. Within seconds you can get good tones. It doesn't do Marshall tone as well as a real Marshall, or Fender as well as a real tube Fender, but it just sounds good.
When I was a teenager, it was a big deal to get my parents to drive me the 45 minutes to Bud Monahans House of Guitars in Peterborough, where I would wander around checking out the Peaveys (they were Peavey dealers). Until my mid 30s Peavey is what I played. Since I have been on the endless journey of Marshall, Fender, Badcat, Mesa, etc. But the Bandit just feels comfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
In the early 80s, as I embarked on post-secondary education, I sold off a lot of the stuff I had (pedals and things) and traded my big 212 120 watt Peavey tube amp for a 12o Special (same amp with more power). A few years later, I modified it to operate the 'Pull Thick' function instead of reverb with the footswitch. Not a primo amp, but I jammed with it a lot. Never let me down, although a buddy cooked the speaker one night.

I still have it, but in a world of Mesa, Fender, Trinity and Traynor tube amps, it doesn't get used. I can't bare to part with it - as long as I have the space, I will keep it. You just never know.

·
Premium Member
16,826 Posts
I just want that USA raptor in white that was for sale (Peavey Strat) but alas, money has elsewhere to go.

·
Registered
662 Posts
@hedzup I was wondering if you have any experience with the mid 80's "audition chorus"? The tiny amp with two 6" speakers and built in chorus? I have a chance to buy one today for $50 in good condition. I also have a soft spot for the old peavey amps, but I'm still on the fence about the deal.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I love Peavey TransTube amps.

Great overdriven sound, They react very nicely to volume knob changes on guitars, meaning they clean up when turned down, similar to a tube amp.
The 2 best choices from that lineup are the 10 inch Envoy model, and the 12 inch Bandit.

They have everything a guitarist could need.
Great sound plugged straight in.
Effects loop for time based and modulation effects
External speaker outputs
Depending on the year, they have a line out or more recently a Cabinet simulated line out.

I have an Envoy model from 1999, It's my bar jam amp
40 watts is actually loud enough to hang with a drummer on a bar stage. I'm looking for a HK redbox for the line out to run DI to mixing consoles

Having said all that; I can still hear a slight difference in sound quality between my TransTube Envoy and All Tube ValveKing

The all Tube does sound better, but not by a huge margin. Just enough to use tge ValveKing when gigging, and the Envoy when Jamming

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
@hedzup I was wondering if you have any experience with the mid 80's "audition chorus"? The tiny amp with two 6" speakers and built in chorus? I have a chance to buy one today for $50 in good condition. I also have a soft spot for the old peavey amps, but I'm still on the fence about the deal.
Thats a great price and i would go for it. Just bought a Backstage Chorus two eight in.speakers and i love it. They are built like tanks and can take years of abuse. I paid 150.00 for mine. Also have the Backstage 50 one ten in.that gig with all the time.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I went ahead and bought the peavey audition chorus. I figured for $50, it's not a bad price.

I'm liking it so far. The cleans are nice, the chorus is definitely better than expected. The dirt isn't amazing, since it's the old supersat circuit.

I'll probably open it up at some point and have a crack at making the dirt less brittle. The amp sounds great with my sg. I think it's a contender for a rehouse and a 2x12 cab.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts