The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is lots of debate on whether a modified guitar is still desirable. Here is a perfect example. There were about 1500 original LP Customs from 1958 -1960. Of course more than that exist today because of conterfeit clones being made. Is this guitar still desirable? I think so, but I dont think there are many people who are going to pay huge bucks for this guitar due to the modification............

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960-Gibson-Les-Paul-Standard-Sunburst-blistertop_W0QQitemZ7391080938QQcategoryZ38086QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
The only real mod is the re-neck. And I think it is arguable that a re-neck is a mod. The neck was broken in the 60's and had a large headstock custom neck put on. It was re-necked again in the 90's by Gibson. It's still a pretty desirable guitar, but maybe not at that price. It's a standard, BTW and has been discussed a lot on the LP forum. I think the price of original 1960 Les Paul's is verging on $200k US, so half price for this one with that top seems fair. Probably in a year and a half, you'll have to pay twice that.

If I only had the money.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Even the late 60's early 70's Deluxes are starting to take off even if they have been broken or routed. They are going from 8-10k. Since the Deluxe was re-issued a couple of years ago, the original re-issues are now being considered "vintage". Especially the 68' and 69' standards which are hitting 20k.

It kind of irks me that some of the real vintage guitars which are cherished for their sound are in the hands of people who can't or will never play them.

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
Yeah, ticks me off too. Instruments are meant to be played. If they can't be played they may as well not exist.

I can see a point where there may be a foundation for vintage guitars, similar to what there is for Stradivarius instruments. The foundation buys them and then lends them out to musicians. Their philosophy is similar to mine. They're instruments that were created to be played, no matter what they are valued at.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I pretty much hold the same values as stated. If i came across a 60's LP that my dad owned, i would much rather see it played, then sold to some rich dude who knows what to invest in.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Rgearding the original question, the guitar is probably very desireable. But there is a collectors market and a 'players' market now as others have mentioned. I personally don't see the point in spending the money on a guitar you are afraid to even play. Also just because a guitar is older, it doesn't mean it's a fantastic guitars. There were inconcistencies in building back then just like there are not.

When it comes to vintage amps, I can see more what the fuss is about because in most cases they just plain are made better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts