The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a teen in the mid sixties when many various styles of pop music were really exploding.

Doo wap, country, folk, pop, comedy, rock, lounge, instrumental and psychedelic simultaneously bombarded the radio waves. Something new every month.

I don't know what it was like for those who were teens past that golden era. But there were a couple of songs that produced extremely powerful reactions from me in the VERY FIRST BAR!

Two of those were: "Do You Want To Know A Secret" by the Beatles (wow, jazzy minor chords); and "She's Not There" by the Zombies (wow, bass guitar).

They might not seem like much now, but the feeling was very similar to a love-at-first-sight teen crush.

Know what I'm sayin'?

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Around the same time, I think it may have been a Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton Yardbird song. I'm not totally sure which. But form the guitar tone that stands out most in the back of my mind, it may have Beck. I would call that my first WTF moment though.

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Premium Member
25,918 Posts
My first three 45s were, in order:
Tell Her No - The Zombies
Dance, Dance, Dance - The Beach Boys
She's Not There - The Zombies

I listened to my 45s on one of those crappy little $20 mono fold-up record players. When I brought my records next door to a neighbour's who had one of those big Clairtone or Electrohome console stereos with the big 8" speakers and finally heard the bass on She's Not There, it was life-changing.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
U2's album War threw me. I think maybe because it was opposite of everything else at the time. Spare, skeletal guitars and drums interplay and subject matter that wasn't pop based at all.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Spirit In The Sky, by Norman Greenbaum, blew my mind up.

Aerial Boundaries (the entire album), by Michael Hedges, changed my approach to acoustic guitar forever. If he was still alive when I discovered that I likely would have quit my job and stalked him until he acquiesced and allowed me to lick his boots (in the hopes I learned a few of his tunings and studio tricks).

·
Premium Member
17,047 Posts
Around the same time, I think it may have been a Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton Yardbird song. I'm not totally sure which. But form the guitar tone that stands out most in the back of my mind, it may have Beck. I would call that my first WTF moment though.
"Heart Full of Soul" ?

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This foreshadowed so many great intros from these guys.

[video]

Also, my head popped up the first time I heard Satisfaction kick in.

[video]

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I was too young for the bar, but in grade school Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey came out and really made an impact on me. Probably different than for those who had grown up with the Beatles which I hadn't, really.
A couple years later Band On The Run came out and that was it for me. I still get goosebumps and take a deep breath when I hear those opening notes. My favourite guitar tone bar none.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I've mentioned this in another thread but before fm radio hit, growing up in Windsor the big 8 CKLW was the spot to tune in. Every week they counted down the big thirty I believe? This intro is still memorable...

[video]
video]

Another intro that perked my ears and made me keep listening to find out who it was...

[video]

After fm took over, and I was a little older I always wanted to be able to play this...I mean who didn't as confirmed in This Might get Loud.

[video]

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was too young for the bar, but in grade school Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey came out and really made an impact on me. Probably different than for those who had grown up with the Beatles which I hadn't, really.
A couple years later Band On The Run came out and that was it for me. I still get goosebumps and take a deep breath when I hear those opening notes. My favourite guitar tone bar none.

Funny, I was just listening to a couple of hours of McCartney on Saturday night from solo to Wings and beyond. I found out something I didn't know about the guitar solo on No More Lonely Nights. Listen carefully and you can probably figure it out if you don't already know. The tone is unmistakeable.

·
Registered
18,585 Posts
You made me remember this song which is likely my favourite Beatles song.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was in my buddy's basement listening to his older brothers collection. I chose this version for the spinning green, red and white Atlantic label but I didn't hear it on a Pioneer system the first time I heard it. Probably a Sears modular system instead.
Being the first song on side one with the first 20 second beginning as that wind blown woodwind effect, the first listen made you wonder ...but then the riff hits and its unforgettable.

[video]

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I was in my buddy's basement listening to his older brothers collection. I chose this version for the spinning green, red and white Atlantic label but I didn't hear it on a Pioneer system the first time I heard it. Probably a Sears modular system instead.
Being the first song on side one with the first 20 second beginning as that wind blown woodwind effect, the first listen made you wonder ...but then the riff hits and its unforgettable.

[video]

·
Premium Member
12,962 Posts
This one hooked me pretty good the first time I saw it ........... and every time since.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts