The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a house with some decent amount of land around it and convert part of it to a music studio that can be used for recording or rehearsals. I'd like to have lounge area, an impromptu jam area, some small stuff for sale like strings, straps, etc. Memorabilia, books, magazines. A place where musicians can come, get comfortable and make music.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Have had similar thoughts myself, except it would be by invitation only. I want a camping component as well.

However...

A friend tried to organize a musician's club and the purchase of a clubhouse but never got it off the ground. We tossed ideas around for a couple of years but always fell short in the money area unless he simply paid for everything outright (which he was able to do) and then slowly made his money back through rental, dues, fundraising, etc. Life has a way of interrupting good ideas.

·
Premium Member
17,370 Posts
Do you plan to make any profit from the house?

·
Premium Member
12,572 Posts
The problem, as I see it, is the farther you go to get away from it all (the required isolation), the harder it is to get a group of people to make the trek.

I have a house in the suburbs - not much isolation - that I practice and jam at and we are limited by the nearness of the neighbors. But I usually don't have a problem getting people to attend, because I'm not a long ways away for most of them.

As far as selling stuff? Yea, I really should do that. LOL

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think @High/Deaf has it. Watched a good archery store wither and die when they moved it to their own property. Great store, nice and big, room for a full outdoor range but too far out the way for meaningful volume in a sort of niche product anyways. It was a great spot but just too inconvenient As long as your plans are for you and not costing you, or you can afford to do so then that's all good.

P

·
0 Posts
I think @High/Deaf has it. Watched a good archery store wither and die when they moved it to their own property. Great store, nice and big, room for a full outdoor range but too far out the way for meaningful volume in a sort of niche product anyways.
Maybe it should be guitars and archery.

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think @High/Deaf has it. Watched a good archery store wither and die when they moved it to their own property. Great store, nice and big, room for a full outdoor range but too far out the way for meaningful volume in a sort of niche product anyways. It was a great spot but just too inconvenient As long as your plans are for you and not costing you, or you can afford to do so then that's all good.
Yeah. I have some idea that a Hedley Grange is what I’d like but maybe not what is needed.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
May I suggest the A.E.S. Standard:

Interior dimensions: 10' high x 16' wide x 26' long

You will defeat most potential acoustic problems without special treatments. Absorb reverb to half a second or less, and everybody will hear everything clearly. Record off-the-floor with comfortable set-ups. Etc.

The size should be large enough to accommodate all the amenities you mentioned.

--------------------------------

Sorry to be a PITA, but yet once again: don't even start dreaming without studying this text:

http://www.roletech.net/books/HandbookAcoustics.pdf

Download now and start studying applicable chapters. The alternative is throwing money around and endless half-baked discussions. Sounds harsh, but you will thank the author countless times.

And BTW, I am a "new-comer" in an underpopulated corner of the prairies and yes it took awhile (about a year) to find other available musicians. Retired from the local bar band and just forming a second band with singer-songwriter -- the first in my little garage studio.

Here's my build thread, a modest DIY project, with a budget of about $20,000:

https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/studio-from-scratch-progress-the-final-product.136585/

Check it out for yourself. I am no expert and may very well be one of those guys that has just learned enough to be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Maybe it should be guitars and archery.
Got my vote!

The last rented place we lived in was over a huge (for in town) double garage. I could shoot diagonally across it or into it from outside (it had a back overhead door).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Got my vote!

The last rented place we lived in was over a huge (for in town) double garage. I could shoot diagonally across it or into it from outside (it had a back overhead door).
My bow has been sitting for quite a while now without any convenient place to shoot. I have an average size garage so it doesn't really have enough distance.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I had the same thought. The reality would be all Dads and retirees which is fine. Music is music. Would be fun to add a bar and operate as a booze can on weekends. But that would be illegal...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts