The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does Guitar.Aquisition.Syndrom. start?
In your opinion, at what number of guitars?

I have a LesPaul type of guitar, A Strat type, A 12 string, An Acoustic and a Beater ( see EXP1 in another thread ). Five guitars, well six but the old acoustic just hasn't been sold yet, I'm not keeping it.

I say that's NOT G.A.S. My wife says IT IS.

Of course I accuse her of S.A.S. ( Shoes. A. S. )

What do you think is the break-over point for Not GAS/Yes GAS?

·
Registered
698 Posts
When you own one guitar or amp and you walk into a shop, GAS begins. The disease is the uncontrollable need. The axe count is just a yardstick for the severity!

At 5 axes, you're in about the same stage as myself (4 guitars, 2 amps, several effects). For some examples of chronic cases, check out the "post your gear" thread. Some of our friends here are in dire need of a 12-stepper!!!

P.S. If I had the cash, I would be just as bad.

·
Premium Member
16,653 Posts
Actually G.A.S. is Gear Acquisition Syndrome and if you think it's a problem with guitar, try owning a PA.

You want to talk about a money pit.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Emohawk said:
When you own one guitar or amp and you walk into a shop, GAS begins. The disease is the uncontrollable need.
That about sums it up. I'm not too bad, I have two electrics, two acoustics, a bass, two amps and a bunch of pedals and other misc stuff. But I am shopping for a 12 string, and possible another electric. :DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm up to 3 electrics, one accoustic, 2 amps and a hole bunch of other crap, most of this was purchased in the last 8 months, i have been avoiding music stores like the plague. the only fear i have now is the big musical instrument show here in montreal in july. who knows wat GAS inspired lunacy this may bring? It's righ around vacation/bonus pay time....sigh!!!

·
Premium Member
2,033 Posts
For me it was when I had two. I always had a Strat and then came the first Tele. It was all over...LP Jr. 335, another Strat, etc. etc. etc.
I was up to 60-70 at one point. Now I have a much more sensible 20-30.
My name is Peter and I'm a guitaroholic. :D For like afflicted souls, we meet every Thurs. at the Chauteau du Faracaster. By the beautiful Scarborough Bluffs.

cheers
Pete

·
Registered
793 Posts
SCREEM said:
I'm up to 3 electrics, one accoustic, 2 amps and a hole bunch of other crap, most of this was purchased in the last 8 months, i have been avoiding music stores like the plague. the only fear i have now is the big musical instrument show here in montreal in july. who knows wat GAS inspired lunacy this may bring? It's righ around vacation/bonus pay time....sigh!!!
Nice I'll be there too! So excited...:D

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Gear Acquisition, yes it's a sickness.

As far as I'm concerned it's no worse than golf. I'd rather have a guitar than some carbon-fibre-graphite-whatchamacallit driver. At least that's how I convince my girlfriend it could be worse :)

I don't acquire for the sake of acquiring though. I try to stick with what IMO is the quality piece that will fill that void. Rather than buying (IMO wasting) 8-$500 guitars, I bought the LPR-9 I wanted (needed?). I don't want to be in the position that's it's almost good enough and maybe someday I'll get the right one. I'd rather wait till I can afford the right one first. It's cheaper and smarter in the long run.

And I always try to find what I want used to save a buck when I can.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Two weeks ago I would have been prepared to argue this point, having seemingly tamed my GAS.

Then I came home with another bass... and that Bergantino IP310 is coming home with me shortly!

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
After having a Les Paul through a Marshall half stack for breakfast. Then a Strat through a Rivera for Lunch. And then a PRS through a booteek amp for dinner. Then you have incurable G.A.S. :D

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
Imagine G.A.S without any $$$ to deal with it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

1 - 20 of 32 Posts