The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
I think the most accurate and appropriate answer is: "Since the economy recovered from the crash of 2008." Many authorities on instrument value will tell you that prices plunged following 2008, and have only slowly crept their way back up.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the most accurate and appropriate answer is: "Since the economy recovered from the crash of 2008." Many authorities on instrument value will tell you that prices plunged following 2008, and have only slowly crept their way back up.
Yes, but I never realized a PRS could be worth as much as a vintage Gibson.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
That is the asking price, so we'll see what it actually sells for. It's a pretty rare piece of guitar history and PRS does have a pretty decent record as a company now. There is some collectible value there.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
I wouldn't call it "worth $100k" unless someone pays that for it.

Reactions: soldierscry

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
For $100k, for me a guitar has to come with a tax credit, perpetual catering, perpetual coaching, fully insured. and a limousine service.
Don't forget birthday sex!

Reactions: 1SweetRide

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
As a longtime subscriber to Vintage Guitar magazine, I can say that some items you see advertised for outrageous prices keep showing up in the same vintage shop's ad, month after month, year after year.

·
Registered
12,306 Posts
As a longtime subscriber to Vintage Guitar magazine, I can say that some items you see advertised for outrageous prices keep showing up in the same vintage shop's ad, month after month, year after year.

are they trying to artificially inflate the market?

·
Premium Member
17,157 Posts
I love prs, but an '85 isnt worth 6 figures.

Reactions: Kenmac

·
Premium Member
8,685 Posts
Agreed but at least one person thinks it`s worth that. I`ll add it to my watch list too.
I highly doubt it. Just put a random 'way high' number on it for the attention, but in reality looking for offers. Pretty common, both in the guitar world and the auto world, I'm sure in other areas also.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I assume this guitar is one of the "NAMM 20" built for the 1985 NAMM show before PRS even went into production. These were used as demo guitars in an effort to build up orders before actual production began. I can't remember the exact numbers but the plan worked as PRS went into production with s healthy backlog of orders. Is it a $100,000 guitar? I don't think so but it is highly collectable in my opinion since only 20 were made and they were the start of a very great success story.
Edit: I just looked at all the pictures. It's just a custom ordered 24. The guy is off his rocker.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts