The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...whenever i play a "G" note on my guitar, my amp makes a loud wheezing noise. a friend says its worn tubes or worn speaker. i suspect tubes - its been a couple of years, at least, since i re-tubed. i have spares. how do i check? replace each tube, one at a time? is there an easier way, without searching for a tube tester?

-dh

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
david henman said:
...whenever i play a "G" note on my guitar, my amp makes a loud wheezing noise. a friend says its worn tubes or worn speaker. i suspect tubes - its been a couple of years, at least, since i re-tubed. i have spares. how do i check? replace each tube, one at a time? is there an easier way, without searching for a tube tester?

-dh
A tube tester will only tell you how strong a tube is, it may not even point out the bad tube, could still be strong but faulty.

So unfortunately you have to go the one at a time route with preamp tubes. Power tubes you want to make sure they are somewhat matched. Rectifier shouldn't cause the problem, so don't worry about trying it.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
david henman said:

-dh
It's not 100% that it's tube or speaker, David. Most likely, but it could still be an internal problem.

If it's a tube it must be that the tube is vibrating inside and that a "G" is resonating to make the noise louder. I'd take a few layers of paper towel so I don't burn my fingers and press and hold each tube while someone plays a "G" note. If gripping the tube changes the noise (it may not totally stop it) then that tube is suspect. It can also be more than one, which makes things tricky.

Jeff is right in that a tube tester can't tell microphonics or tone/taste. Those have to do with our taste in what we hear and not if the tube is amplifying properly.

If you've got at least one extra 12AX7 you can "Easter EGG" the problem. Change out each old tube one at a time with the known good one.

If you can plug in a different speaker cab (don't worry about the speaker ohms for just a short test) that will tell you if the speaker is the problem. You can also have a problem with the glue and bracing of an old cabinet. Pushing on things while someone plays the guitar can often tell you if it's a corner letting go or whatever.

The other solution is just to never play any "G" notes... None

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wild Bill said:
If you can plug in a different speaker cab (don't worry about the speaker ohms for just a short test) that will tell you if the speaker is the problem.

The other solution is just to never play any "G" notes... None
...:tongue:!!!

...actually, i do have a speaker cabinet i can switch to. good suggestion, bro'!

-dh

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yeah - I have exactly the same problem in my Laney, except on "E". Kind of hard not to play any E's when your a rock fan though... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
I have the same issue now with my Peavey Classic 30. A tube or tubes are rattling when I play the low G note. So annoying considering I just got a Weber Blue Dog. As soon as I put the speaker in, it started rattling. Havent had the time to find out which one of the tubes is giving me the problem. :mad:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Chito said:
I have the same issue now with my Peavey Classic 30. A tube or tubes are rattling when I play the low G note. So annoying considering I just got a Weber Blue Dog. As soon as I put the speaker in, it started rattling. Havent had the time to find out which one of the tubes is giving me the problem. :mad:
I have the same issue with mine, but it's sorta a non issue since I only use the thing cranked to the max:tongue:

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
Funny you say that. I had to lend out my C30 to someone last rehearsal and didn't or I should say couldn't hear the rattling (my hearing has deteriorated really bad the last 2-3 years, might have something to do with age). But then it was cranked the whole time. So that must be it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts