The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to get away from using a Keurig and go back to using a regular old drip coffee maker.

So what's your preferred every day use grocery store coffee?

I use to drink PC coffee all the time, but I was thinking I'd start with Folgers?

What do you like?

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
If you're a Costco member, their house brand Espresso roast is reasonable. The Sumatran they offer is nicer. Kick Ass Coffee is my go to otherwise.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
I have a shop I go to in town. It's in the same plaza as big bone. Ask for the strong French blend.

Fvuck the grocery store

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you're a Costco member, their house brand Espresso roast is reasonable. The Sumatran they offer is nicer. Kick Ass Coffee is my go to otherwise.
You can buy Kick Ass pre-ground, right? I've been hearing good things about Kicking Horse coffee.

I don't mind getting a coffee grinder anyway if you can't.

·
Premium Member
8,464 Posts
I've never heard of big bone.
Hmm, well...we probably shouldn't be talking then. Actually, Barrie doesnt have the best big bone (BBQ joint), but it's still pretty damn good.

190 Minet's Point Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 4C3

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I don't mind getting a coffee grinder anyway if you can't.
+1000 Get a grinder!

The biggest improvement to home-made coffee is to grind the beans immediately before you use them, IMHO. The beans themselves will not oxidize much but once they are ground, the grounds oxidize quite quickly. Vacuum packed grounds are OK, but start to oxidize immediately after you break the seal. I can never use a pack up before they get bitter.

I will sometimes grind the night before, if I use the timer, but prefer to grind and brew in the AM. I will never buy ground coffee except for camping or small packages of specialty coffee for immediate use.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a shop I go to in town. It's in the same plaza as big bone. Ask for the strong French blend.

Fvuck the grocery store

H
Hmm, well...we probably shouldn't be talking then. Actually, Barrie doesnt have the best big bone (BBQ joint), but it's still pretty damn good.

190 Minet's Point Rd, Barrie, ON L4N 4C3

:(

·
Registered
24,160 Posts
I have a 1-cup coffee press at work, and defer to Eight O'Clock coffee beans (red bag), that I get from whoever has them cheapest. Once in a while I see one-kg bags for nine bucks at Freshco, Food Basics, or Metro, and snag a few. I grind up about a week's worth of beans at a time, and put the rest of the bag in the freezer.

I won't tout it as "best", because I realize everyone's taste buds and preferred strength differs. But it's what was asked and is what I use. Tastes good enough for me, and the price is right. My 30-cent cuppa is as good for me as the $2.50 cup at Second Cup downstairs. And when I consider what some folks around me spend on coffee in the space of a week, it's like getting a second paycheck.

I only have 2 cups a day: once before 7:00 at breakfast, primarily to swallow pills with, and one around 9:45-10:00AM...for pleasure. I would understand that someone who drinks more than that on a regular basis would likely have different standards or taste requirements. And certainly, as taste buds and preferences change over the course of a day, those who imbibe at night probably have different preferences as well. Thankfully, there is lots of variety out there to select from.

P.S.' I like Sumatra too, but I never see it on sale.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Why are you not wanting to use your Keurig anymore?

We have both going in our household. Everyone loves their coffee! I the drip coffee maker is usually Tim's dark roast. When that's gone we use our Tasimo if we need a top up!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts