The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now, it's three : the Bill Lawrence XL500, Dragonfire Modbucker or the Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon.

Organism Font Electronic device Technology Photo caption

·
Registered
521 Posts
I like the Seymour Duncan '59 and the Gibson '57 Classic in my Les Pauls. Although not a humbucker, the Gibson P90 I have in my 2011 Goldtop Tribute Les Paul sounds fantastic as well (as does the bridge).

Sometimes I think I could put just about any pickup in some of my guitars and they would all sound great. Other guitars, not so - they really need that special pickup.

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Seymour Duncan Jazz SH2N or Gibson Custombucker

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For me, neck humbuckers either sound like mud or they sound fine. (I'm fussier when it comes to bridge pickups.) But a couple stand out:

SD Hyperion neck HB on my Ibanez AZ is pretty cool because it makes a 24 fret guitar sound as fat as a 22.

DiMarzio "Humbucker from Hell" is quite bright and has a single coil vibe (5.89k output).

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
Weir Blueprint. Not sold separately. I have never played a more clear sounding pickup, clean, crunch, high gain, it can handle anything.

“The pickup is wired directly to the end pin output jack. There is no volume or tone control. For me, these things were always somewhere between a distraction and an annoyance. Once I started building my own guitars, they were the first thing to go.

The pickups we are currently offering are my own design, called the Blueprint. Electrically, they are a mini humbucker. Instead of traditional heavy Backplate and cover, they are shielded with copper foil using the principles developed by Ray Butts for the Filtertron. With the much thinner foil, and a very particular overlapping pattern, they are bright and articulate with no capacitance issues or eddy currents. They are packed into an ABS shell and encapsulated in urethane. They are dead quiet even with lots of gain and hands off the strings. String grounds are not needed.

The pickups are pressed into the body route with a fair amount of force and are extremely solid. This way the pickup senses the movement of the strings, and the vibration of the body relative to the strings. It’s one part of the rock-solid design and a big part of our signature sound. There are a couple of set screws installed from the back which sit under the pickup and allow you to set and change the closeness to the strings.”

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Lollar El Rayo. I put a pair in a Gibson 3399 (339 with a 59' neck profile. Sounds between a p90 and humbucker to my ears. I am also more a single coil guy so that's why I like the more open sound.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
The Brandonwound T Top replica in my PRS Starla is my favourite neck humbucker right now, but any T Top will do. I've bought a few of Vineham's 6070s and they're a great option too.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
2022 vintage wire Re-wind Low output A2, or 2008 vintage wire ThroBak SLE-101 + UO A5.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
+1 for Re-Wind PAF’s (although a fairly pricy option) …I just installed a set of the 1958 PAF’s in a Heritage H535 and the neck pup is wonderful! As @silvertonebetty said, the Seth Lover neck pup is nice too, as is the Sheptone Tribute.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
How about none?
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory

J/K.

But I do tend to agree w/ Grab, most neck humbuckers are sorta muddy to me as well unless I perform a really fast scale which sounds kinda cool w/ a neck pickup - otherwise I prefer a single coil there.

This Jackson pickup on my Monarkh. actually sounds very close to a bridge pickup in tone and output (16K). It's like putting the tone down to 7 on the bridge pickup except w/ more bottom end, so I like it.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Plucked string instruments

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
I've been really digging the Fralin wide range humbucker in a tele I just put together. It's kind of everything you want in a tele neck pickup but so seldom ever receive.
Other than that, I am, and have always been, a big fan of 60's T-Top pickups.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
It was a toss-up for me between the Lollar Imperial and the JS Moore '59, but the Vineham Vivid I installed in my 535 last night is pretty impressive - more clarity and bloom to it than the Seth Lover, although they're a great set. I'm going to hold off on a firm stance until I get my 50's wiring harness come.

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,525 Posts
A filtertron technically is a humbucker I guess, so it's TV Jones Classic (or a higher output model if needed) for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts