The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The provocative title is for an article I cam across recently.
The author is a maker of electronic instruments--so like us all has a bias--and it's probably different than the ones here.
But still an interesting read, even though I would disagree with some of it.
What's Wrong with Current Musical Instruments?
Any thoughts?

I have some I will share--but want to see what others here think.

Reactions: bw66 and Blind Dog

·
Registered
498 Posts
If I wanted easy perfection, I would stick to Tommy Emanuel/Joe Pass on Youtube. I like the guitar's quirks, and the influence on sound those quirks have. As far as limitations? A limited palette can be a good thing.

And I'm too addle minded to switch horses now.

Cool thread too btw.

Reactions: zontar

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
And so, he recommends LinnStrument.

Reactions: Alex and greco

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
This is SO COOL!
However, at about $2,100.00 (taxes in ...for Ontario) it is a bit pricey.
It's only $999.00 at Sweetwater so that would be about $1300.00 which is still not cheap.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
That thing is way cool. Great instrument for someone with a disability, one hand etc. I think we all know someone or a story of someone who lost fingers or had a disabling accident rendering them unable to play guitar.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
That thing is way cool. Great instrument for someone with a disability, one hand etc. I think we all know someone or a story of someone who lost fingers or had a disabling accident rendering them unable to play guitar.
That is a great idea there Scotty.

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
17,140 Posts
I applaud your thinking here.

In addition, rehabilitation centres could get very creative with one of these from a therapeutic perspective.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I applaud your thinking here.

In addition, rehabilitation centres could get very creative with one of these from a therapeutic perspective.
Thanks Dave, I don't think my thinking is anything special...it's just the first thing I thought of when I saw how much the player could not only do with one hand, but with much expression. Because the keys are lit up with notes, it could help those with affected cognitive skills to play also (say people with brain injuries, dementia or even those with disabilities from birth). In essence, it allows people with many variations of abilities to express musical creativity

·
Registered
14,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey--nothing against what Roger Linn is doing, and as pointed out i could have its uses.
It's not my thing though.
As with others I like the limitations as they bring about the character of the instrument--and people find ways to work around them & to embrace them all the time.

he also doesn't list limitations of the Linnstrument.
Price has already been mentioned.
As well--if the power goes out or the power supply is damaged, or if the power cord is damaged--you can't play it.

I can always pick up my guitar & play (Just like yesterday)
Even my electrics--ok, I can't use effects and amps.

Unless you have ways of doing either with battery supply--but then again if that is damaged or batteries are dead.

But mostly I love the sound of the guitar, and no imitation of it quite matches that--even ones that I like.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts