The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, it's starting to get on my nerves. I feel so bad for the suckers that end up buying guitars like this one:

Fakey fake fake fake

Like, if "The seller makes no respresentations that it is a Gibson Les Paul.", then why call it a damn "Gibson" in the auction title? Oh, that's right, because the seller is a ripoff artist. Actually, not much of an artist. More of a ripoff.......... uh.............. loser (I've got nothing this morning).

Anyway, it seems like I see a couple of these a week now. And every one of them has some cheeky way of kind of, almost, maybe admitting that they know it's a fake, but leaving it vague enough that a possible buyer thinks they're getting a real Gibson for cheap.

China = fake stuff capital of the world.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
It's clearly a big problem. There are more and more auctions with obvious fakes, well, obvious to someone who know a thing or two about Gibsons.

The sad thing is that the guys making these guitars will get more and more skillful at fooling people as time goes by. Most of the obvious ones have cosmetic features that are instantly distinguishable from the real deal. Sometimes it's as simple as three screws holding the truss rod cover on instead of two.

E-bay needs to clamp down HARD on sellers who try to pass these pieces of crap off as high end guitars.

Yes, if you get a Gibson Les Paul for $200 you should know instantly that something's amiss, but the person who doesn't know guitars doesn't deserve to be ripped off any more than the experienced player/collector.

In the auction posted in this thread the seller clearly states that he is NOT saying it's a real Les Paul. He's also not saying it's a fake.

I've seen lots of auctions where no such disclosure is made.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
You make a good point Milkman, I suppose there are many people out there that see it and think, hey what a deal. They may not know what to look for or question it. So it is a big problem for sure. eBay does do a fair amount of tracking on items. The way they get most of that stuff off the site is from people reporting it as fake, then they jump on it fairly quick. I have seen a lot of auctions get canceled like that. One way therse guys get around it is by doing a 2-3 day auction in hopes that it sells right away before the eBay police get them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Milkman said:
I've seen lots of auctions where no such disclosure is made.
Same here. The one I posted was downright generous in tipping off the person that it's a fake.

The problem is that not all of them have a BIN for 500 bucks. I see them all the time trying to sell for 1500 or so.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
nine said:
Same here. The one I posted was downright generous in tipping off the person that it's a fake.

This guy is from Richmond Hill though. He either got ripped off himself and is now trying to find a sucker to take the POS off of his hands, or he's doing it as a business and buying and selling them.

By the way, I reported the auction. The title is misrepresentation in itslef.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw one the other day where someone who got ripped off posted an auction with "do not bid!" in the description just to get the word out there that there's lots of fakes around. Felt bad for the guy, but thought it was good of him to let people see how easy it can be to get burnt on eBay.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just looked through my history and found the page where the guy shared his experience of getting ripped off.

eBay removed it. Why does that not surprise me? Haha. :mad: :eek:

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
Interesting, I checked his feedback and he sold the same guitar to someone else and advertised it as made in the USA. Buyer left positive feedback.

Positive feedback?

Sounds like a shill to me.

Made in the USA my a$$. Try China or maybe Thailand.

Hell if I want a fake Gibson I'll buy an Epiphone (Kidding, sorry guys).

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indeed. That feedback was shilltastic. Probably just another account the guy opened up himself.

Usually, I've noticed that the person selling these fakes will have 15 or so feedbacks, all from the last two months and nearly every one of them will be for 15 cent items like advertisements cut out of magazines and stuff. Heh heh.

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
gtrguy said:
People are falling for this scam...we had aguy try to trade in his "Gibson" Les Paul that he bought from Ebay...telling him it was a Chinese made fake was no fun at all...

gtrguy

Yeah one of the problems with this sort of thing is that there are likely to be multiple victims from each guitar.

Anyone who knows guitars at all will know this is NO Les Paul and the unscrupulous will try to pass it on to the next sucker.

If the guitar has the name Gibson on it and it's a fake, it should be burned.

If the guy thought he could trade it in at a store, he probably didn't know he had been scammed until you told him, but it's also conceiveable he knew and hoped you wouldn't.

·
Premium Member
3,906 Posts
Milkman said:

QUOTE]

Sure these guitars may be crap, but would you really do that to a Max or Keebler?

I hope I don't have to burn my Trainwreck or my Broadcaster. :eek: :tongue:

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Sneaky said:
Milkman said:

QUOTE]

Sure these guitars may be crap, but would you really do that to a Max or Keebler?

I hope I don't have to burn my Trainwreck or my Broadcaster. :eek: :tongue:

If Keebler, Max or Trainwreck is unethical enough to put the name Gibson or Marshall on their products, they are no better than the Chinese crooks doing the same. How good the guitar or amp may be is beside the point in my opinion.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gtrguy said:
Hehehe...awesome...yeah, I tend to use the same username wherever I go...what forum and who?

gtrguy
"ninepound" on the MB forums. Like I said- nerdville. Hahaha.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why would the Trainwreck guys put Marshall on their stuff. That's like putting Ibanez on a Gibson:smile:

Speaking of which how's the Lester Mike?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts