The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just seen a reverb ad for a $600k pedal and it got me pondering what the most I've every spent on a pedal was. I mean I have nothing against cost effective pedals or anything but sometimes you just have to splurge to get what you're looking for IMO . Personally the two that top my list are a Foxrox captain coconut that I spent $700 on and a silver Klon that I had about $1500 into. Were they worth it? Well yes and no, they both sounded great but after having them for a while I realized stepping on something that expensive gave me anxiety! So off they went. Now most of what I have are in the $100-300 range with a few that are worth more but were gifted to me. What's your comfort zone?

Reactions: JHall55

·
Registered
24,384 Posts
I'm trying to think about all the pedals I've ever owned over the last 40 years or so, and I don't think I've ever spent more than $100, or even that much. Of course, if one translates a $70 MXR pedal in the late 1970's into today's dollars, that probably equates to more than $100. But nominally, no, never $100 or more. These days, usually $60 or less. People have given me stuff, out of appreciation, that's worth more than $100, but I've never spent, of my own accord, what those pedals would go for retail, let alone stupid E-bay prices.

That certainly doesn't shut me out of having plenty of nice boxes, but I don't hunt for things I want, or am persuaded I ought to want. I simply end up enjoying the things I stumble onto for good prices, and build stuff I won't likely stumble onto.

Here's a scan of a 1981 Electro-Harmonix pricelist.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Most of what’s on my board ranges between $50-$150, but a few pieces jump out as more expensive. My Harben Audio Octave Fuzz was about $180 CAD all in at the time, that’s probably the most I’ve spent on a new pedal.

I tend to buy my pedals used, because I’m not looking for anything too specific at the moment. Last pedal I bought was a Boss blues driver.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Peterson strobstomp tuner was 280. That’s the most expensive pedal that I have and I mainly got it bcs it’s big and I can see it w/0ut wearing glasses.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
$100 on my Box of Rock, OD/distortion used pedal.

Great pedal with lots of spunk.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I generally float between $100-200. But you already know this.
However I did spend somewhere around 1200-1300 on pedals that one month.

·
Registered
371 Posts
1999 I spent 499.00 for my Digitech RP7...... i think the Keeley D and M pedal was 312.00 with taxes

Edit...... I did pay 800.00 for an EP3 Echoplex

·
Premium Member
16,835 Posts
Single-effect pedals (not single button, single effect) - $500 used on my big sky. Multi's would easily be my Fractal FX8 (over $1k).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I probably average between $200 and $300 per pedal...but have spent much more on some as they come and go. The most expensive ones were a Silver Klon, H9 Max, and the big box Strymons. The Origin Effects Revival Drive will likely be my next ridiculously expensive pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I think over $400 on a big box POG. I kind of regretted it and tried to flip it, then really got into it for a long time. I still have it even though I don't really use it anymore, but it looks cool, especially with it not being made anymore.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
$600k for a pedal. Sheeee - ite!

The most I've paid is about $200. I think that's what my TC SCF cost me in the early 80's, which was a lot back then. Since then I've been able to keep it under that, the most expensive in the last decade probably being the Timmy I bought new.

$600k for a guitar pedal, though. Why? I could see it if they were attached to this. Even with 3 pedals, @ $1.8M, it would be a huge bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Only new pedal I ever purchases was HoF Mini -- I think it was an Amazon.ca sale that made it cheaper new than anyone on Kijiji was asking on used at the time; pretty effective -- put it into the effects loop and forget it. All others were/are used. Most expensive is Van Weelden Royal Overdrive (under a grand, but more expensive than most used tube amps; you can pay over a grand on Reverb for it, if you like); didn't fully dig it at first, but have seemed to have gotten the hang of it now, pretty awesome, don't regret. Next most expensive was a KoT, I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I don't recall paying over $400 on any pedal that I've owned. I could say the most expensive ones are the Strymon Flint and El Capistan, followed by my Klon KTR which are all on my board right now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts