The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I order a set of bare knuckle pickups and theyve been sitting at canadian customs for a week today!!! It's just killing me they're so close!!!

What's the longest you've waited for something to clear customs?

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I order a set of bare knuckle pickups and theyve been sitting at canadian customs for a week today!!! It's just killing me they're so close!!! What's the longest you've waited for something to clear customs?
A lot depends on how you / the supplier shipped them.

Via some carriers the shipment can stall for a week or more waiting for someone to get around to figuring out how to contact you, and then contacting you and getting your instructions for brokerage and clearing. (So make sure they can contact you!) Others cost more, but typically manage the process better and get shipments through in a day or two.

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
It can also depend on the contents. E.g. for a while every speaker I ordered from The States was sent for 'additional screening' I assume to the scanners detecting the large magnet and high metal content. Usually added a month extra to the travel time. The good news is now (not so back then) they will say that the item is off for additional screening in the tracking (USPS/CanPost anyway). Lately magnetic things are getting through quicker, especially if properly identified on customs forms (e.g. 'speaker' vs 'amp parts').... pickups also have strong magnets so that's probably what it is.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My words are based on my eBay past purchases and may stand only for Quebec as I was once kindly explained, as I requested an explanation, some US sellers excluded shipping to Quebec because they had bad marks on shipping delay.
Now, as I understand, USPS/Canada Post is slower (six week for a cd !) than importation brokers like UPS or eBay's GSP...
Note : Brokers charge taxes and a broker fee.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pickups are coming straight from bareknucle in the UK. I hope all the paperwork is in order!

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
My words are based on my eBay past purchases and may stand only for Quebec as I was once kindly explained, as I requested an explanation, some US sellers excluded shipping to Quebec because they had bad marks on shipping delay. Now, as I understand, USPS/Canada Post is slower (six week for a cd !) than importation brokers like UPS or eBay's GSP... Note : Brokers charge taxes and a broker fee.
Curious... my experience has been generally very good with USPS/Canada Post. On low-value shipments (below $100, roughly) they have fairly often not charged anything for brokerage or taxes, just zipped it through, total shipping time well under two weeks and occasionally under a week. Higher-value shipments seem to get processed more-attentively, but they've still delivered fairly quickly with a reasonable clearing fee plus taxes.

UPS on the other hand has slapped on brokerage fees of about $50 on most/all shipments (a couple of times on items that didn't cost that much to buy!) and has sometimes taken about a week just to clear through Customs. I now refuse to buy from suppliers if UPS is the only choice they offer for shipping... I buy somewhere else.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
when i moved to canada i shipped 2 boxes usps from niagra falls ny to toronto. i did this on sept 4th 2006. the first box (books) arrived nov 1. the 2nd box (extension cords and power strips) arrived a few days before xmas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts