The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went browsing on a bunch of guitar forums, and almost everybody said that basswood is very weak and does'nt hold screws well. It is supposed to dent easily and sound poor. However!, I do know that a LOT of Ibanez guitars and even a lot of schecters are made of basswood, and I hear that their quality is great. Is there more than one type of basswood? a cheaper type and a better quality type? What does basswood compare to in regards to tone? Is it toneless? Would I be better off with a different bodywood for a guitar?

All help is much appreciated!!! :rockon:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a MIJ strat that is basswood and I don't really see a tone problem. It is much like alder. As far as screws in the wood , well I have never had that problem and I have changed all the hardware over to the Callaham vintage kit.
It seems that a lot of Ibanez are made out of basswood even the Via Jem and the Satch sig model come in basswood.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think basswood sounds great, never had a problem with screws holding either... denting, well, depends how hard you smack it. Same applies to every type of wood, lol. But denting easy? I doubt it, none of mine have dents and I smack them all the time!

In fact, I'm going to pick up an Ibanez made of basswood tomorrow!

I HAVE heard people bitch about not being able to get harmonics to scream... that's a load of crap, all you need is decent pickups. I can record clips to prove it! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
John Suhr once said his favorite combo was basswood with maple cap. I own two high end Ymahas with Warmoth basswood and maple cap bodies that I like a lot. Supposedly it is softer thasn some other woods but I can`t hear I difference.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Hmm, if basswood was a problem you'd think I would not be experiencing what I am.

My basswood Ibanez doesn't really have any problems with screws but my mahogany guitar does.

EDIT: Apparently it is too late in the evening to spell mahogany.

·
Registered
526 Posts
my mij tele is basswood. best sounding tele I've ever heard. in 18 years the screws have held tight.
yeah it's softer than some other woods, but I don't care, my guitars are pretty banged up anyway.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Anything that is different from what Fender and Gibson originally used seems to be immediately considered suspect (or bad). Couple this xenophobia with the fact that basswood originally showed up on less expensive import models and you have a recipe for a "basswood sucks" mentality.

TG

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
My MIJ Tele 62 Reissue is basswood too. Great sounding guitar and was my number one for at least 10 years. I had some issues with the strap screws for a bit but that was easy to fix.

·
Registered
272 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
Anything that is different from what Fender and Gibson originally used seems to be immediately considered suspect (or bad). Couple this xenophobia with the fact that basswood originally showed up on less expensive import models and you have a recipe for a "basswood sucks" mentality.

TG
+1

Aside form that, any type of wood can be made into a lousy guitar and there are lousy planks of basswood just like there are lousy planks of mahogany or alder or ash . . . .

but fer chissakes, stay away from that poplar!!! None

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am having problems with my Fender 50th Anniversary Strat which is made of Swamp Ash so you can have screw issues with any wood. Tonewise though it depends on what kind of music you are into . If you have a Floyd on the guitar with high gain pickups and you will play with gobs of distortion and gain, you won't notice the difference any descent quality piece of wood would make in this case.

On the other hand, if you are a vintage type of player that spends most of the time using clean or slightly edgy tones and you are really looking for that vintage vibe, I would stick with more traditional woods.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I dont like to use a really large amount of gain...though I do use some. Clean sounds are very important to me also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts