The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new gig (bass). In the past I've always relied on word of mouth but the last couple of leads have been dead ends. I'm not from Edmonton so my word of mouth reach is relatively limited, and beyond going old school and posting ads in the music store (does anyone even read those?) I'm not sure what people use these days.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
Its tuff bro. When I moved to Sask I lucked into the local classic rock band thru a guy I worked with.

Other than that, its always been "we-are-buddies-we-play-together".

So I recommend personal contact wherever you can find it.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
You know that bassists are the most in demand pretty much around the world. Also because it’s the hardest instrument to play really well.

Kijiji ads are good. Just don’t commit to anything without sleeping on it and getting goals In writing / email.

Finally once you’re with a group, pick a project, goal or deadline and tell them up front that you’ll re-evaluate your situation then. Give it at least 6 months or until you’ve played 2-10 shows (depending on your desired gig frequency. )

And do a cover of mustang Sally and sweet home Alabama. (Just kidding).

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know that bassists are the most in demand pretty much around the world. Also because it’s the hardest instrument to play really well.

Kijiji ads are good. Just don’t commit to anything without sleeping on it and getting goals In writing / email.
In demand, yes... but people have to know I'm available. Does Kijiji actually work? I always figured a decent band would rely on word of mouth and wouldn't need to advertise.

I spent about a year and a half with my last band before we went separate ways. Word of mouth got me a couple of references, but neither panned out.

I put out a call via Facebook to all my scene contacts, but I'm not a big social media guy so if this doesn't get me anything I'm not sure where else to go.

Finally once you’re with a group, pick a project, goal or deadline and tell them up front that you’ll re-evaluate your situation then. Give it at least 6 months or until you’ve played 2-10 shows (depending on your desired gig frequency. )
This is how the last project fizzled out. All talk, no action, zero organization.

·
Premium Member
18,816 Posts
Like I said, use everything. Dont decide kijiji doesnt work - post, and if nothing comes from it *then* it didnt work *that time*. Use facebook use twitter, put an ad in your local paper and the music store. Ask the music store staff if they know anyone who needs a bassist. Network the crap out of your area by going to shows and talking to people - even if you dont like the genre. If your name is everywhere AND they see you everywhere, someone will find you.

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Two of my more successful bands were found by hanging out at a music store and networking with the customers and hangers out. That said, I fully agree with Budda (above), use everything.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I never leave my gear at someone else's place.
What I mean is that the end is a point in time or a completed achievement. This way no one has to cause a break-up. It’s aleeady in the plan.

If y’all wanna continue then you make a new plan (gigs, new singer, management, add to set list and set 5 more gigs, etc.... )

G

·
Open stage jams are a great way because there is no expectations and you can see who is what without all the work. How many band tryouts have you been to where there is no fit? Open stage you see them, they see you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You'll be "employed" in no time.
Didn't take long. Seems word of mouth wins again. Got a referral off this forum that's turned into a potential gig. Did the meet 'n greet tonight and jammed through 5 or 6 songs.

It'll be an interesting project. R&B/Soul (both current and classic). Not really in my wheelhouse since I normally play rock/metal, but an exciting chance to develop as a bass player.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts