The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking in to all sorts of different seven string guitars lately, mainly brands like ibanez, Jackson, schetcher, etc. After all my work looking for a seven string I still haven't got a clue what to consider buying. The main reason I want to buy a seven string under $500 is so I can have some left over money to buy a new amp and pedal and still have a little money left over so I could upgrade the guitar. So what are your thoughts of what the best seven string guitar is for under 500$?

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
I wouldn't go new for $500 when you can get used C7's (I'm a fan of the original blackjack with 5-way selector and passive pickups), or an RG7420/7421 if you want a thinner neck profile.

Pretty much any 7 built in the last 10 years is going to be a decent guitar. Decide what body style and what type of bridge you want and narrow it down from there.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd also go used. Esp, Ibanez and schecter all have great options in that price range, but used will net you a guitar far above that price range. $1k Ibanez guitars sell in the $500-$600 range all the time, so just keep your eyes peeled and maybe an instrument will pop up.

I like to post a wtb Kijiji ad and then wait for someone to respond with what they have. I've picked up some premium gear for cheap just by putting up a basic ad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought a JS22-7, swapped the pickups and its a beast. For made in China, it doesn't feel that way. I've also heard good things about the Ibanez RGA models.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
This looks something for you:
Long McQuade Local store special:
IBANEZ RGIF7 BLACK STAIN
Ibanez RGIF7 Black Stain usagée en super état.
Sale Price: $695.00Original Price: $1299.00
Model: RGIF7 Black StainSku: 450310Quantity Available: 1Condition: Used
Email: [email protected]de.comPhone: 418-522-3877

Hope this helps

yours Bojan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This looks something for you:
Long McQuade Local store special:
IBANEZ RGIF7 BLACK STAIN
Ibanez RGIF7 Black Stain usagée en super état.
Sale Price: $695.00Original Price: $1299.00
Model: RGIF7 Black StainSku: 450310Quantity Available: 1Condition: Used
Email: [email protected]: 418-522-3877

Hope this helps

yours Bojan
Thank you very much I'll have a think about this one, cheers

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Let us know a little bit more what you are looking for (shape, neck type - thin / metal type or thicker more classic) and we would be able to help you more

yours truly
Bojan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let us know a little bit more what you are looking for (shape, neck type - thin / metal type or thicker more classic) and we would be able to help you more

yours truly
Bojan
I'm not looking for anything to particular at this point regarding the neck, as for the shape I'm open to anything as long as the body is double cut-away. I would prefer to have emgs or Seymour Duncan pickups (or at least for the bridge pickup). I would be amazed to find any brand new seven string guitar with emgs or Seymour Duncan pickups for around $500 so it's probably gonna have to be a used guitar.

Thank you very much for helping out!

·
Premium Member
16,621 Posts
pickup swaps are pretty easy to get sorted out, so don't worry about what pickups come with the guitar.

You need to go try out some guitars, because a 26.5 scale schecter C7 is going to feel pretty different from a 25.5 scale Ibanez RG7, etc. Neck preference is already important, but when you add a string it's the difference between being able to actually use that low string or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pickup swaps are pretty easy to get sorted out, so don't worry about what pickups come with the guitar.

You need to go try out some guitars, because a 26.5 scale schecter C7 is going to feel pretty different from a 25.5 scale Ibanez RG7, etc. Neck preference is already important, but when you add a string it's the difference between being able to actually use that low string or not.
Ok thanks I'll have a look at some guitars at local stores. I really appreciate the help:D

·
Registered
754 Posts
RGA series is usually good from Ibanez. Usually need some small fret work to make them 100 percent though. Great guitar's otherwise. Find one with a Gibraltar bridge.
Are you looking for a Floyd equipped guitar? I'd recommend staying away from them, as the cheaper floyds won't stay in tune.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts