The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
24,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I increasingly see the presence of gold-tops when I flip through guitar mags. Not that '59 bursts and replicas have lost any of their cachet, but gold-tops seem to be catching up.

The relationship between paint and wood/quality is a muddy one. Paint is sometimes used to "hide" lesser quality wood. I imagine I'm not the only person here to strip the paint off a body, only to find it was layers of plywood underneath. .But then, those are budget instruments. On the other hand, people can like top-notch wood AND a given painted appearance at the same time. So paint can simply be paint, and not a disguise for anything about what's underneath the paint. Moreover, what is cosmetically appealing with respect to grain and how it takes stain, can be entirely separate from the sonic impact of a given piece of wood. I.e., the wood might not be pretty, but the sound is fine and exactly what you'd get with a prettier piece of that exact same wood. And in the case of gold-tops, no paint whatsoever hides the mahogany that forms the brunt of the body, just the maple cap.

So is there anything about gold-tops that is in any way different from other Les Pauls with the same pickup complement? Or is this purely a matter of cosmetics?

I'm not interested in buying one, but I am interested in what people may know about these things.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
I just know they look good. Most GT's, doesnt even need to be an LP.

Reactions: DavidP

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
IMG_0360 (1).JPG
I recall seeing a band named Copper Penny back in the ….late 70s?

The guitarist had a beautifully aged (before phony relic'ing was a thing) Gold top that was starting to turn a bit green and had fabulous nitro checking.

I can't explain why but that look (not to mention the freaking tone) had a lasting enough impression on me that many years later I bought a 2013 R7 VOS Gold top.

It's a thing of beauty.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
View attachment 225814 I recall Seeing a band named Copper Penny back in the ….late 70s?

The guitarist had a beautifully aged (before phony relic'ing was a thing) Gold top that was starting to turn a bit green and had fabulous nitro checking.

I can't explain why but that look (not to mention the freaking tone) had a lasting enough impression on me that many years later I bought a 2013 R7 VOS Gold top.

It's a thing of beauty.
Like this one :) This is my bandmate's '69 Deluxe that I've been babysitting

https://flic.kr/p/42207046024

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
I've had both an R8 plain top and the R7 gold top, they were pretty much identical. And yet I preferred the Goldtop and kept it. I liked the colour better and it had just a bit more texture to the top finish.

Mine is a 2007 so it will be a few years before it turns green, but that's what I'm going for.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I just like the color. But if I compared a Gold Top to another color of same model, specs, etc...I'd go for the best tone.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
If anyone wants to let me babysit their GT for a little while, I have space!

Reactions: Lola

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Disagree sir. Suits and les paul customs are classy.
They were until you opened yer big mouth right there ;P

I mean, my Paula may have started life as a classy dame, but a few years on the Montreal bar scene before they banned smoking sure aged her; started life Alpine White, but is now a Gold-All-Over.

Reactions: Budda

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
Our guitarist back in the early 70's had a beautiful gold top. I remember him rockin it hard and it brings me back to those days. To me its such an iconic guitar and paired with P90's, well what else is there to say.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
They were until you opened yer big mouth right there ;P

I mean, my Paula may have started life as a classy dame, but a few years on the Montreal bar scene before they banned smoking sure aged her; started life Alpine White, but is now a Gold-All-Over.
SO...... she's even classier!! Fanfuckintastic!!!

·
Registered
24,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So am I to understand that the only difference between a GT and a stained top is simply how it looks, with no other distinction in terms of the materials used? I mean, I'm satisfied with that answer, if it IS the answer. I just want to know.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
The 2018 P90 GT has been sorta on my mind for awhile but then I have this Firebird V that I really like and two LPJs which kick ass ... so

1 - 20 of 66 Posts