The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
881 - 900 of 929 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does look fun. I'll have to do some investigating on kits, I have a computer in my shop already, it could probably handle doing more than just playing music haha.

For starters I need to get off my wallet and buy a mill.

I'm going to try to get one that's newer than my lathe...by maybe a century or so.
Wood Machine tool Shotgun Hardwood Toolroom

Canadian made Bertram. Newer than 1901, but not by much, and that's all the info I have.

And yes, I've used that monster to build guitar parts haha.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Does look fun. I'll have to do some investigating on kits, I have a computer in my shop already, it could probably handle doing more than just playing music haha.

For starters I need to get off my wallet and buy a mill.

I'm going to try to get one that's newer than my lathe...by maybe a century or so. View attachment 416455
Canadian made Bertram. Newer than 1901, but not by much, and that's all the info I have.

And yes, I've used that monster to build guitar parts haha.
That is awesome!
I have an older (60s) general and an 80s standard modern…. But they aren’t nearly as cool as yours!!

Nathan

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is awesome!
I have an older (60s) general and an 80s standard modern…. But they aren’t nearly as cool as yours!!

Nathan
Haha it's cool for sure. Still blows my mind a little when it think it's old enough to have made parts for the Titanic.

I rescued it from under a tarp on one of the islands from some weird old guy who wouldn't give me his address. Wanted me to follow him.

I asked if he wanted me to wear a blindfold too...There was a loong awkward silence, and I was probably pretty close to not getting the lathe 🤣🤣

Probably not as accurate as yours, but it's close enough for someone like me who eyeballs everything anyways.

·
Premium Member
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,158 Posts
Haha it's cool for sure. Still blows my mind a little when it think it's old enough to have made parts for the Titanic.

I rescued it from under a tarp on one of the islands from some weird old guy who wouldn't give me his address. Wanted me to follow him.

I asked if he wanted me to wear a blindfold too...There was a loong awkward silence, and I was probably pretty close to not getting the lathe 🤣🤣

Probably not as accurate as yours, but it's close enough for someone like me who eyeballs everything anyways.
Ahhh the intrigue of the islands of the island. First day on the island i picked up a fellow who was going to Cortez so I figured what the heck, guess ill go there. I was living in my car at the time having driven from Nova Scotia to Vancouver Island. Well he offered me a shower which I thought was pretty choice.... then he pointed me to his wood shed? Well, there it was a plumbed shower with a pallet as a floor and surrounded by mud. Best 5 minutes of my life lol and a good introduction to the new place I had moved.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
It was a rigmarole, but it’s finally here and assembled.
Bought this Craftex 212 at a Busy Bee Tools (not all that) near me. Saw it online and did some digging. It wasn’t cheap, but not nearly in the class (ahem, price range) of the “big saws”. But, huge, cast iron top, 2hp belt driven motor. Everything I need. I shouldn’t outgrow this one. But I’ve thought that twice before.

I went on a reconnaissance to see the one set up in the store. It checked all the boxes.
I arranged for one of my Bros to come up, make a pit stop, and carry one to my place. I drove and paid and the rather disengaged young man used a forklift to get it on the pickup. I asked “that it” to which he said “uh-huh”. We drove away. An hour away.
Didn’t put it together that day (see the D&V post in the Random thread). Started assembling Sunday and then realized I was missing a pretty important piece. Called them Monday and (I think) I got the sloth-like shipper/receiver. I called back later and got someone who gave a crap. Went back yesterday to pick it up, and spend my “we’re sorry, here’s a generous in store credit”. Did final assembly today and….drum roll…. Nothing. It was plugged in… looked for a mini-breaker. Nothing. Got my tester and realized the power blip was the switch. Took it apart and got the buttons working. Super stiff! Put it back together, and viola. A beautiful whirl.
Made sure everything was square and started cutting! What a great saw! So precise, so powerful, so good!
The missing parts were not the saws fault, the stiff button was an easy fix. No regrets.

Bumper Wood Line Automotive exterior Composite material

·
Premium Member
'97 Strat Plus, 70's Northern Strat Copy
2,158 Posts
I suck at computers, that milling machine ,however I think I could make work. I do have a machinist son that produced parts with a CNC?
CNC programming is not really as complex as one might believe and as soon as you realize what it is you can get out of it the effort to learn is worth it.

·
Registered
DIY HH Cherywood Strat, DIY Acousti-Tele, DIY Amps. DIY Violin
214 Posts
We where playing on Halo Guitar website, trying to design my youngest son’s next build. They didn’t have the correct trem or pickups, so I had to clone some into the photo.

Kinda grainy, but should give you an idea.
A14DA505-43C7-4906-8FD9-B2B2F3C2759D.jpeg

Here are his specs, & the wood we have.

Thin-line Tele
Gold hardware
Cherrywood body, flamed walnut cap
Flamed maple binding & F-hole binding
Jazzmaster trem
Tune-O-matic roller bridge
Jazzmaster bridge pickup
Filtertron neck pickup
Roasted flamed maple neck
1/4” brass pipe marker dots

Should be an interesting beast.

Reactions: Mark Brown

·
Registered
DIY HH Cherywood Strat, DIY Acousti-Tele, DIY Amps. DIY Violin
214 Posts
Here is the start of my youngest son’s Thinline Tele.

Routed the cherrywood body on the CNC this evening.
CE31618F-FDEF-4FEB-A38F-B68EE5510ADB.jpeg

9E492F33-B779-4D12-AB0D-569BF77499D8.jpeg

EAA25C26-99B4-42BB-B77C-279EA77889A1.jpeg

077D92B7-116B-4F94-9044-15B71D59CB29.jpeg

2285AC1D-DC17-4EAD-866B-81A550696BEF.jpeg

Got the flamed walnut top thinned down to proper thickness, and glued up.
D7BEEE65-441F-47F7-9B35-6FBD03BFB3DD.jpeg

5839DFA3-B9B8-4193-859A-55566E0AE556.jpeg

I seem to be helping everyone else do their build, and mine gets put aside. :rolleyes:

Oh well.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
My buddies first guitar. It’s an MIJ “Diastone” (guessing a Gibson Hummingbird knockoff).
His parents bought it used in the early 90’s. Not sure where they got it. It’s seen some abuse over the years. Now his kids play it (probably) more than he does. The tuners have always been really hard to turn. Fine tuning is next to impossible. Probably add some Grover’s. Jade would match the guitar, but not sure how much he wants to spend. I think he’s looking for TLC more than upgrades. Although I will push hard to change the tuners. To ANYTHING better.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument
White Table Black Guitar accessory Sleeve

EDIT- There is absolutely no information on these. The only thing I found were people on various forums saying, "I have a Diastone and can't find any info. Anybody know anything about them?".

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Something isn't right here but I just cannot put my finger on it....

That isn't good buddy.
The rest of it is solid. Can’t get even a partial piece to slip under. Have to research fixes for that.
In the meantime… I de-gunked the fretboard and oiled it up purdy! And in the parts drawer I found some (long thought lost) “jade” Grover knock-offs. Had these on a parts LP. They were pretty good.
Light Musical instrument Guitar accessory Bumper Handheld power drill

881 - 900 of 929 Posts