The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 406 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Pickguard waiting to be filed down a bit here.
Shield the pups in my Jazz bass.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I completely rewired this little piece with some Novak Gold Foils. New bridge but still waiting on a pickguard and then she gets loaded with 12's and tuned down a whole step.

I just picked up one of these a few days ago off Kijiji. What a wicked guitar, crazy Birdseye maple neck and the neck itself is massive, well feels massive. A pickup upgrade is definitely in the works.

So that upgrade and a 60’s telecaster reissue, waiting on the body to come back from being refinished. Those are what I’m working on.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
In the process of making a set of templates for a copy of a Burns Steer.

I'm not copying the typical Steer headstock though... I've come up with something a bit less ugly.

IMG_20190223_150628_165.jpg

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Have my Nephews GWL Costco special on mine. Basic setup of a Strat style. Truss rod didn't break surprisingly. Thing's a twig. Goes out of tune playing 1 - 3 chords, so suggested a trem block. Wants Trem functional for now so I'm just going to deck it. Till later when he brings it back cuz it'll still be going out I'm certain. Gives me more setup chops though, so it's OK.

·
Registered
24,348 Posts
I completely rewired this little piece with some Novak Gold Foils. New bridge but still waiting on a pickguard and then she gets loaded with 12's and tuned down a whole step.

Interesting. Given the shorter scale of the Mustang, maybe you only need to tune down a half step to make a set of 12s bendy enough. OTOH, I don't know what your desired degree of bendyness is.

One thing I will put in a plug for is that the 3-position pickup switches on the Mustang allow you to do the Jerry Donahue Tele thing. If the bass is shaved off the neck pickup, and the neck and bridge are put out of phase, it sounds remarkably like the neck+middle "cluck" setting on a Strat. If you want the standard thin nasal out-of-phase tone, then just leave the neck pickup on without phase-reverse, and flip the phase on the bridge pickup. But I understand that some folks prefer to use the switches for series-parallel.

But I look forward to your take on the gold foils.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Will try to post up some pics- planning on switching my hardtail Strat from a set of Fralin Real '54s back to the original setup of a SD Pearly Gates Plus and SD '59. I have complete pickguard setups for the two configurations so it's a quick and easy swap.

On a related note- it doesn't look like Fender do any hardtails in the American strat lineup any more.

·
Premium Member
1,350 Posts
This one has been going back and forth to the bench for the last couple of days. I have salvaged as much as I can. I managed to get the electronics to work, and get three of six bridge saddles unseized, replaced the adjusters on those. The other three, only one adjuster came out on each, the others are messed up. I actually believe that the Allen heads were pooched on those long ago before seizing up.

Still have fret work to do. I just threw on some crappy used strings to see how things adjust out, and hear how it sounds so far.

I will see if I can get a machine shop friend, to EDM out the seized adjusters, then chase the threads, install new adjusters.

The guitar shows promise.
image.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Aw sheeeeeeeeeet.

1) Champ/Herzog + fuzz scratch build - troubleshooting some noise issues
2) New (to me) Garnet Sessionman FTR needs a once over - maybe the fuzz is wonky, maybe not
3) my bud's jam man looper - think it's good now but need an XLR cable to test it and I have none at home for some stupid reason
4) another bud's synth module - suspected bad jack
5) mostly finished Mutron III (Lovetone Meatball) copy
6 thru 100) a bunch of pedal projects PCBs - Electric Mistress, Gristleizer, Rat, an octave down + up + harmonic thing, like a EHX microsynth minus the filters but diff circuit, ValveWizaerd UBoat (sub octave), OCD, 5 band EQ, and a SSOD v2 (Stupid Simple Overdrive - no PCB for that, cuz so stupid simple)...

And cuz this seems like a pic based thread - graphics for the the enclosure for the Mutron (which I have already acid etched onto the box):

Meat Sphere graphix.png

·
Registered
662 Posts
I’ve got some short term and some long term lol. It takes me a while to get projects finished, unfortunately.

Short term, I just finished installing a new bridge on my Squier strat, now I have the parts to make a better wiring harness for the same strat. I’m also making a fuzz face clone.

Long term, I need to recap and otherwise overhaul my Peavey Standard 260h. Then I have my acoustic guitar that will likely remain a work in progress for a long time; it’s truly a turd, and I like it as a never ending challenge.

·
Registered
11,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That sure is a funny looking tele if I've ever seen one. ;)
I want to try it but eventually it will go to someone else. Experiments are good but I know what I am and I don't want to ruin the balance in the jam room.

A good bench always has an 'opener at the ready'.
A pro bench has backup.
:D
this comment made me feel like a pro,. I am far from it though

At first glance I thought it was a strat and I was about to faint. But then I saw it was a Mustang. That was a close one.
you won't be needing to faint anytime soon, I've been passing on Strat deals left and right,. even really good deals on really nice guitars. last time I played a strat I got cooties and hep C, lesson learned

·
Premium Member
5,153 Posts
tell me more, that looks awesome!
Well thank you!
Body wood is Espave (wild Cashew) and it's very light. I did it all in one piece (like your stepped Tele) rather than center & wings like I've done in the past. Antique cherry dye with a black burst. Bolt on Maple neck, Rosewood board, Pickups are hand wound from Mr Fabulous Guitars in Australia. Neck & bridge are humbuckers, center is P90 wind called a Phoenix. Australia has a good exchange rate, ($200AU = $188CA ) and the shipping cost is comparable.

1 - 20 of 406 Posts