The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am a violin player but I like guitar and i want to improve my basic skills.
I am trying to get a new guitar after my first one,last year I bought one i dont remember its brand becuase i left it in my country. Now I am in canada searching for a new guitar that is NOT completly advanced guitar, but an intermediate one that has a good tone and closer to advance guitars.
I want something that satisfies me when I play some evanescence music (distortion) which has an affordable price.
I have from 200 to 450 Dollars in my pocket so what do you advise me?

by the way I wanna ask about about yamaha guitars
what do you think about the following guitars?

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricguitars/EG112 BL/keyfeatures.jsp

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/guitarpackages/ERGKIT/keyfeatures.jsp

I like Yamaha brand, so please do you recommend any yamaha guitar ?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would STRONGLY recommend a Godin LG. Right in your price range, and can't be beat. :D

But, if you are just interested in smashing some drop D chords to evanescence...

get an ibanez or schecter type guitar with EMG pickups. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would STRONGLY recommend a Godin LG. Right in your price range, and can't be beat. :D

But, if you are just interested in smashing some drop D chords to evanescence...

get an ibanez or schecter type guitar with EMG pickups. :D
I checked the Godin LG in the company website and I found it so intresting and I put in in my wish list.

but why do you STRONGLY recommend this guitar?

I'll be more demanding and tell you that I want a guitar that lets me play some natural tones,for example, bach guitar interpretations and some acoustic songs. so the perfect guitar for me the one that comes in the middle which lets me play evanescence(distortion), avril lavigne, "Hotel california" and so on LOL. that will make me thinking of a Good AMP also.

My apologizes, I know that I disturbed you but here is my guitar list so far :

Godin LG
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgemgp.html
or
http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlghmbp.htm

Yamaha

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricguitars/RGX-A2/keyfeatures.jsp Drool

http://www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/electricguitars/PAC812V/keyfeatures.jsp
>>>>>>...
... under construction !!

Note : I have not seen the prices yet ! so dont laught at me !!!! lol :D

The day after tommorow I'll go search in ottawa and try some guitars......

Probably I'll visit Lauzon Music Centre but I've checked thier website and it seems they dont have Godin brand. I must go their and check.

Thanks
SOL

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Keeping it short and sweet:

Godins are tremendous value for your buck. Extremely versatile, terribly underrated, and a made in Canada solution. Very good tradition re build quality. You can't go wrong, IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Louzons doesnt carry Godin. They only carry Gibson, Epiphone, Peavey, PRS, Taylor, and G&L, as far as I recall...............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Louzons doesnt carry Godin. They only carry Gibson, Epiphone, Peavey, PRS, Taylor, and G&L, as far as I recall...............
Ok ! I am new in ottawa, is there any other place where I can find some good collection of guitars??????

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
Steves on Rideau is the biggest. Long & McQuade on Alta Vista is also large. International Musicland and St. John also have lots of the low end stuff. Stay away from Intercontinental........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Godins are tremendous value for your buck. Extremely versatile, terribly underrated, and a made in Canada solution. Very good tradition re build quality. You can't go wrong, IMO.

yeah I like Godins (the look) ,but never touched one, anyway i have touched only tow electric guitars in my life. LOL.:rockon2:

I'll try them once i find a near store!

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steves on Rideau is the biggest. Long & McQuade on Alta Vista is also large. International Musicland and St. John also have lots of the low end stuff. Stay away from Intercontinental........

I am going straight to them Drool

thanks man :wave:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts

I second that. I own Godins and you can't beat them. Maxer covered it all.

I

·
0 Posts
SLong & McQuade on Alta Vista is also large.
I popped in there today to pick up a case for the Tele (got a trade happening) and...uh...well...look, it's a cute store I'll give you that. But lets not go calling a pony a horse, alright? :smile: I drove by it. Twice. I was looking for something bigger. I think the Scarborough location is bigger than Ottawa. Brampton sure is. And well, Ossington & Bloor is like 1/2 a block plus of store.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
You have to remember that Ottawa is a small city. Look on the bright side, you can visit an Ottawa store without having to worry about being shot...........

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The greater Ottawa area is well over a million people strong, isn't it? I wouldn't necessarily call that a small city by Canadian standards. It's probably only a matter of time before one of the chains open up a really large store for Ottawa.

I

·
0 Posts
The greater Ottawa area is well over a million people strong, isn't it? I wouldn't necessarily call that a small city by Canadian standards. It's probably only a matter of time before one of the chains open up a really large store for Ottawa.
Yea, that's what I was thinking: this isn't really a small town. The size of the L&M here just doesn't fit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for your advise and help, now I have some clear view.

Now its the time to go in person and to check each guitar of my wish list.

But I'll delay the purchase for about 40 days since after this time I would probably rise my budget a bit so I can get the desired guitar and a good amp. . :rockon2:

GuitaristZ
Accept2
Maxer
Ripper
iaresee
Thank you guys for all the advise.

If you have anything to add it'll be appreciated..:wave:

SOL.

I

·
0 Posts
Hey! Anytime you want to hear me harp on the size of L&M in Ottawa you drop me a PM. :smile: I didn't really add much to the guitar side of the conversation so here's my $0.02. Take it or leave it. Personally I'm not a fan of Godin electrics. Their necks are just not right. The finish on the lower end models always feels tacky in my hands and the tone is far too dark for my tastes. There are a lot of guitars in the price range of that Yamaha you pointed out. I'd say play anything and everything that's within your budget. I think the PRS SE line is top quality. I've played some decent Epiphone Les Pauls that with a little extra money in parts would be solid guitars. You can't miss with a RG from Ibanez. Wave your cash under the nose of the sales person to get their attention and make them play fetch until you've hit everything in your price range that's hanging on their wall. Twice. :wink:

I

·
0 Posts
And don't forget the used market (like Songbird in Ottawa) -- you can make your hard earned cash go a little further if you're willing to accept a previously loved instrument into your home.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
Another place is Retrotown Music on Richmond Road. They have used guitars there too. I also would suggest the PRS SE line. I just picked up a PRS SE Custom and the quality of the guitar is excellent.

You could also check out the websites www.ottawamusician.com and www.usedottawa.com in the Hobbies, Musical Instrument section.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If you do your homework, a gently used guitar is a great way to go... they cost less than brand new gear and, if you're careful, they can be a really solid investment. Also, researching all of the gear available through online links like the two Chito posted as well as Craigslist and who knows how many others, you can develop a pretty good feel for all of the critical points of buying a guitar. It's also a helluvalot of fun.

That said, I've mostly had good dealings with L & M here in Toronto. I've bought a fair chunk of gear off of them over the years and I've had several guitars setup there... always top-notch work, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
PRS SE guitars and Godins are indeed good. But if you love Yamahas, have you considered Pacifica 112?

They are approximately $200-250 new, although I'm sure there are some good gently used ones around if you look -- they are probably the most popular beginner budget guitar, and are higher quality than the Squires & Epiphones in the same price range IMO.

They are a well-constructed, inexpensive guitar. They have a humbucker on the bridge and two single coils, so your sound will be very versatile -- humbucker for distortion, and neck & middle pickups for cleans.

The electronics on them are cheap, but enough to get you started on a budget. Since the wood and construction quality is high for the price, these are an excellent platform for upgrades.

What sort of amplifier are you considering? If you are looking at a small practice amp on a small budget, you could consider the Vox DA5 -- I think this is the best practice amp/modeller around. The Valvetronix series is also good if you wish to spend a little more, but aren't ready for an expensive tube amp yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts