The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
581 - 595 of 595 Posts

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
:cool: If this ain't worth a couple endorserment ballots I dunno what is! OMG!! Thank you JD for this amazing showcase of beauties I am so proud to be able help you enjoy to the very fullest.

Having a mediocre month and wife has put the screws to me... so go see the Reverb store over the next couple of weeks.... I put a whole bunch of stock at reduced prices Mention you're Guitars Canada brethren for a bonus Well-Hung toque!

Reactions: jdto

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
OMG, I normally don't sideline projects for so long, my apologies to any subscribers left waiting.

I have been messing around in the background, trying to find a way to do what I want to do. My experimentations weren't working so good, so after a bunch of fails, this project became uninspiring and just sat on the shelf taunting me, while I worked other things.

However, a month ago, I hitched up my britches and started again, with some new ideas, and deep resolve to move the ball forward. I have paper cutouts here, to plan my fresh take on a sort of pink paisley telecaster

[IMG]

Call me crazy, my goal here is a paramecium / amoeba top laid out totally in small glittery glass rhinestones. What could be more gaudy / showy, and over-the-top sparkly than a Paisley Royale? I dunno. This is 100% why I am doing it.

In anticipation, I had already purchased approx 15,000 synthetic gems in various colours, pinks, greens etc. Come in bags of like 1400 or so, normally used in the ladies nail decoration business. Super sparkly/glittery for the size. But, finding a way to make them stick to the silver metallic paint to my satisfaction was a major hurdle. Just not enough tooth, after various types of glue tried. Another major hurdle which soon arose early during the process, was the simple handling and placing of the gems. They are super teeny, and my eyes ain't as good as I though no more, my fingers all-too fumbly. Pick one up, then go to set it home, and you find it disappears into nowhere. How do they do this?

I mean, look at these little buggers! A dozen of them fit in a 1" line, so just slightly larger than 1/16th inch ea.

[IMG]

Finally, for them to stick, I figured I'd just lightly brush the receiving surface with a wire brush, and give it a light coat of glitter glue. This seemed to give the surface enough "tooth" for decent glue-grab. Then, the search was on to find an adhesive that would allow me a enough working time, before I would find myself throwing my hands up in frustration as they would stick practically everywhere I didn't want them too... That took some figuring, even though the answer was practically right in front of me.

[IMG]

Now years ago I did a guitar once in much larger dollar store sticky plastic rhinestones which came in convenient strips, so a bit of the learning curve was solved for me on this, the basic "how to". As I found, the first job is to get all the basic outlines of the body set, work your way all around the hardware (trying to avoid anything sticking to it). Once that is done, then you can fill in towards the middle.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Tedious work. I would be embarrassed to reveal how many hours went into this. But, patience is a virtue and I've been picking away at it an hour or two here, and hour there.... By my estimation, this double row around the outside
in light pink took somewhere around 900 stones, each one individually placed. But, once you get all the outlines safely done, then it starts to get more fun.

Now the pattern of the paisley will the biggest challenge.

[IMG]

• Wow

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
Man, you must have some kind of patience! That's gonna be a sight to behold when it's done.
I sure wish still photos adequately conveyed the glitter... even the small amount done is already striking

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
Worked this morning on it for a bit. I am finding that it takes me about an hour per paisley "buta" as they are called.

Couple of things slowing me down are getting the needed gems right side up so I can grab them, then actually easily picking them up. A helpful dude on another forum let me know there's an actual tool for grabbing these things up, a pen type thing with sort of a sticky (maybe staticky?) end. I experimented a bit and found a shaved down popsicle stick, with just a dab of moisture on the end, grabs these up pretty nice, and is super helpful in facilitating accurate placement

Haven't found a way to get them all right side up yet. There are special trays for rhinestones with pointed backs but these jewels have flat backs. I'm using a product used in craft/jewellery making even dentistry for adhesive... called UV activated resin/glue. Dries pretty hard and clear under UV light, otherwise stays wet. This gives a fella decent working and jewel placing window. I'm working on about one square inch at a time for the most part.

I have this small UV led pen tool... for pressing them down individually

and this larger 6 LED light for a larger sections and a longer cure time

Got the lower bout done last night and am now working on bits around the control plate area.

I can see I'm going to run out of white stones... seriously underestimated how many I'm going to need... have already ordered more. I had 3,000 of them. I ordered another 3,000. No big, they cost about $2.50 for a package of 1,440.

Sure wish the glitter translated via photos. I'll have to do a vid sometime and post it.

They seem pretty secure. The edges are going to need extra resin attention to smooth them off. I'm thinking once I have all the designs in place, I will just paint the whole thing with a final layer of the resin, and cure that, to help lock everything down and smooth it all off a bit more. It's not uncomfortably rough, because these are really tiny stones, and I'm not looking for a glassy finished top. Just want to protect them from damage and accidentally peeling off.

In hindsight, I think if a fellow did a shallow router carve into the top of a guitar, even a dremel in, particularly around the edge, may have been a better way to go. In fact, if a fella did the whole thing, route the whole top down about 3/16ths of an inch, except around the control plate, bridge, pick guard parts, you could just pour resin over everything to lock it down. This way you could get pretty close to a glass smooth top.

Lots of guitar refinishers are working with the chemical mix epoxies or this UV resin for fabric tops etc.

Knew a fellow who was finishing tops with this method, probably routing down 1/4" or so, filling the space with beer bottle caps, then pouring acrylic clear resin to cover and level off the top.

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #587 ·
First off, happy Thanksgiving to my American Brothers and sisters who might be wandering around GC... I know there are a few

Also want to give a quick shout-out to my brother Rob over at Vintage Music in Lloydminster, Alberta. I took some Well-Hung straps over to him last week, and he was interested!
Actually, the last set he picked up from me, well, he tells me he done pretty good on them, so was real eager to look at more. One of the fellows that works there talks up the one he bought
pretty good too, he tells me. His store is only one of three stores that have featured my straps in person, along with Stang Guitars in Edmonton, and 5 Star music in Cold Lake, Alberta

Anyway, Ol Robbie had a time picking out three he really liked and left four off to the side. Said business was a little slow for him to pick up any more. That was when I spied a something real attractive hanging on the wall way in the back of the store. He noticed the hypnotic GAS affect it had on me, and well, let's just say I left the store with no straps, a Korean Hamer DC sunburst, and a some decent walking around money on the side. He's got some cool local handmade strap stock for Xmas, everybody happy! If you are ever in the area, go check out his store... he's got fantastic gear taste.

You know, makes sense to me to give a nice deal to these Mom + Pop fellas, they need some meat on the bone to make a profit. In return, I get some exposure to shopping musicians.
I have a lot of stock right now too... another reason why I decided to put a good number of my wares up ON SALE on Reverb right now it you go check, and a bunch for Black Friday too.

The Paisley Royal project continues, as I get time for it, here's a little video sneek peek

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #592 ·
Last night I completed all the base paisley shapes with at least one row of gems. Decided to reconfigure my design a bit for maximum "paisley dance" on the upper back bridge plate requiring me to remove some of the white double border crystals. I now can say with confidence these stones are attached to this surface REAL DAMN GOOD! And, when they are all one solid mass, even quite a bit stronger yet, I figure.

Now my approach will be to fill each of the shapes in the same sort of scheme I've established. Going to lay off filling outside with the white stones 'til the others ordered come in so I can mix them all together in one batch just in case the new ones end up a bit different in colour or size.

Going to make a few more of the little floral elements between the paisleys, probably come up with one more sort of fill element for a more interest adding on to the larger butas. Need to resist the strong temptation to add a bunch more colours such as purple / yellow / blues. I think it's best to stick with a theme. It's nutty enough already... no need to make it even more so.

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
Got a couple hours on it today. General progress shots.

So far I have not yet suffered the involuntary giggling like a 13 year-old girl, but a slight giddiness has been detected more than once.

Another key concern is probably soon the Tone Police are gonna get wind of this operation.

Probably can expect some guitar forum do-gooder will be squeal on me.... "How can that tonewood even breathe under all those rocks and goop?" He'll exclaim on the National Tone Abuse Hotline

"It's a dang guitar TRAVESTY! He's slowly smothering that poor thing to DEATH! This here is a telecaster outrage and this man MUST BE STOPPED!"

Soon, the battering ram at the door, search and seizure warrant
Cease / desist order, maybe even the dreaded cuffs and leg-irons.

Frankly right now, I see this as a race against time, but I might just be a little paranoid.

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
I fully know you folks are here for straps, not telecaster project mucking about all the time! I have been a bit busy ferrying my parents back and forth to medical appointments and fulfilling some strap orders, so I unfortunately haven't been building much last few days. But, some photos are coming back from happy dudes!

How about this one in Mississauga? Black and Blue 1969 series strap on a Tuxedo strat. Classy!

Then we have this other poor sumgun, somehow managing to endure the shame of owning these sorry entry level gats, such as a white Custom.
If that ain't bad enough, he also has to bear the ownership burden of this lowly R8 bourbon burst beater.

Some fellas just can't seem to catch a break. At least they now have decent Well-Hung "Snakes in my Brain" straps, makes 'em both a little bit worth owning. LOL!

Quick tele project shot, for those interested...

Where it sits today. Probably finish the last two paisleys tonight, then shelf this for a bit 'til the rest of the white gems I ordered come in.
Decided, just for my own interest, and knowledgemental benefits or detriments, to do an estimated visual tally of the number of gems in one set (pair) of paisley butae.

Give or take around twenty-ish or so, I estimate about 850 individual crystals make up each paisley pairing. So, figuring just for amoebas alone, approx 8,000 stones. Then, via a visual calculation of the total top surface area, I deduce with some confidence the paisleys eat up a tad more than 1/3 total space. Finally, my rusty mental abacus tells me when this is done, I'll have set somewhere between 23,000 -25,000 individual gems in all.

The beautiful thing here is, you can't spell "stones" without "tone." Therefore, it's a natural given when you got a lotta stones, it seems inescapable you'll also have a lotta tone.

Just sayin'

·
Mad Strappier
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #595 ·
Rough sanded and painted the headstock on this spare stratty neck I had kicking around. Just did a quick paint coat with a small brush.
Too damn cold to spray up here now. Good enough. Neck has a real vintage-aged orange poly on it and great big railroad tie frets.
Going to be kind of cool.

Then, sort of designed a logo for it, and was playing around with the waterslide paper. Back when I was real serious about refinishing guitars, and making logos for other folks on the forums
I bought like fifty sheets of this waterslide paper. Anyway, over the past few years I forgot the proper print settings so I been having a bit of trouble getting a ink drop on the paper.
Plus could be my printer is getting pretty long in the tooth. But at one time I had it all down. Maybe I took notes somewhere.

Obvs, these look like poo, but certainly good enough for size/placement purposes. I'll get it figured out soon enough. Still got a lot of gems to place here anyways.

The fun part is going to be getting a level surface where I want to drop waterslides. That might take some doing, but it's gotta be done I think.
Doing the gems around the post washers is a super PITA. Don't get me started.

581 - 595 of 595 Posts