The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
561 - 580 of 596 Posts

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #561 ·
Ok... so I black-dyed and clearcoated a couple of test, stamp practice pieces with a product called "super sheen" to seal the black down. Then I mixed up some black/silver sparkles at a ratio of about 3:1, added a bit of water and some clear acrylic sealer and water to keep it from drying out too quick. Took it to the test pieces with some good smearage

Wiped it off and let it dry.

As I hoped the sparkle medium stays in the nooks pretty nice. But man-oh-man working with sparkle is crazy! Just a little tiny bit and it's suddenly everywhere LOL - This is the showy tele we are strapping. I'm told it's not cream paisleys, more a pewter.

But perhaps the finish will "warm" over time, i suspect it will. Don't think I use cream thread, gray instead for the stitching, though creme would pop the fretboard. I think we need to keep the guitar the main event here.

Anyway, with the customers blessing I embarked upon sparkling the strap, just enough to take it from being plain ol' black, to what I would call "Showman's Black" if you get my drift. Silver to black glitter ratio about 10:1 I don't know what's right, or wrong. Never done this before. Hell I'm not sure if anyone has tried anything like this.

First I masked off the stitching channels because i didn't want to get a bunch of sparkle all stuck up in there.
Then, I went to town, smearing my ugly black magic concoction all over the dang thing

rubbed 'er in real good, then wiped it off and let it all dry out for a couple hours.

Got just enough glitz to it you can see it from about 15 feet away, a hint of glint to 'er. It's kind of exactly what
I was hoping for, not really super cray bling, just enough to catch the eye, the imagination... makes you want to look a bit closer.

Locked it all down with a couple coats of clear leather finish, laying it down a bit heavier in the crevasses.
Nobody wants to get stripper dust all over them, unless there's good reason behind it. Come to think of it, this strap
might be a real good alibi for the dude who ordered it. Hmmmmm

Don't really come through in still pics very good. Even the video don't show it so well, but better.

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #563 ·
For the Well-Hung Posse, all my stage swaggerin' CGF friends, LARPing or not.... Hope your photo made the cut if you sent one in.
Sorry couldn't use 'em all in, had to pick from the nicest ones, best resolutions etc.

StrapGAS enablement video o_O

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
Oh-oh! Painful reminder to slow down with the super sharp tools? Legal documentation of an unfortunate workplace accident?
Knarly cougar on the loose in the neighborhood? No, no and NO!

It's my second Regan strap this week, but this time I'd figure I'd put my macabre boyhood hobby/skills to work with some hollywood style special effects on the strap.
Just like what they done to poor Linda Blairs' face for the movie. I can't figure out how to make it puke green all over you... probably for the best anyway.
Anyone remember Fangoria Magazine? I was a fan. So here's a strap featuring some hateful hackin' 'n gashin' into the skin in nasty ways.

Also new off the bench and already in the store ... "Warhorse" just finished today, very cool.

This is the kind of Chad strap all your other straps will probably detest (Unless you are already a Well-Hung guitarist). When you are not looking, It's going to make fun of all of them, flexing, berating and belittling them just with it's very presence. It's what it was made to do. Be superior in every way.

Reactions: fonziedog

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 · (Edited)
"The Huntsman" guitar strap may remind you of the intoxicating aroma of spent gunpowder and outdoorsy success!
Two black buckles, fawn and mahogany leather, and all the padding you expect from a Well-Hung sling for your steady six-stringed rifle.

I kind of imagined this to be an elegant outdoorsman's sort of thing, in the Browning clothing line sort of aesthetic in time for the season.

Yesterday while driving my father in to Edmonton for an MRI checkup, we slowed down to watch a pair of whitetail bucks engaged in serious
"Come at me bro!" action just 75 yards off the highway. They were locked and bolting and twisting furiously.

Both were younger, but it seemed a spirited and fair fight, what little we say. Neither of us had ever spotted that before in the wild, i've wasted domesticated deer do it tho

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
This one fresh off the bench this morning is called "Opry" Features an embossed western full grain leather belt, with
horsie heads, Sheridan style "tooling" and showy lacing. I added to it with saddle coloured oil tan leather, contrasting stitching,
rolled edges, 3" wide padded, good nose and tail ends etc.

This belt is an example of "factory" tooling. That is, I did not do the tooling, it was probably pressed into the belt by a
roller sort of affair. Watch what you are getting if any manufacturer says "hand tooled." Very often it is an outright lie.

I have it on good authority this strap will give you a 37% postive boost in your nasal twang and yodellin' skillz

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
Things have been a bit slow in the StrapLab... I've been more concerned with the concept of "Not freezing my Effing Ass Off This Winter" over the past week.
As of about an hour ago, 3 cords split and stacked somewhat neatly in and around my woodshed!

About 1/3 aspen, 1/3 spruce, 1/3 tamarack. Been working pretty good, if I do say so myself. Any of you fellas actually weared right through a set of leather work gloves before, you know.
After the first day I felt like a 75 year old man. Today, I feel like I'm thirty! Yes!

Near my other shed, I spotted our birdbath all filled up with leaves. I had dropped this whitetail shed in there in the spring, and found the birds like to set on it in between dunks
Looked kinda cool and I had my phone with me so I snapped one.

This image speaks to me of fall in several different ways. It is my favorite season.
Oh, and while we are here, some work has gone on in the StrapLab. Restocked a couple of these...

We told that b!tch Carol Baskins we only harvest abundant synthetic Leopards for these Wild Thing straps, and she believed us!

Reactions: jdto

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
It's not too often I'll do a tooling job without having someone order something up, but last night this was in my head, and I couldn't get it out!
Only one thing to do in this case, work through it.

Was actually chatting with a TTR brother here, discussing strap ideas and I pitched him something with tooled chain links down the length of the strap.
I don't think he was super keen on the idea, but well, I figured it might be cool and fun to try... probably somebody will buy this anyway. |Above, carved into the leather,
below, mostly done beveling out the subject from the background to give it that 3D effect

Now various guitar players have tried using actual metal chain to suspend guitars, probably successfully but man, that can't be too comfortable, right?
So, I figured why not see if we get that aesthetic with big heavy leather, and massive 3" links? Actual chain this size would probably weigh 15 pounds by itself.

I figured I'd break it up a bit for interest, and tool in one chain link on the verge of failing, just because I felt it needed a little drama. Everyone digs a little drama.
Also, you can see here I used a backgrounder tool to distress up the background which makes the chain jump out a bit more even.

I got to thinking of something in I could carve into the tail strap for a little extra interest, while making all these links. Ended up inventing my own Viking proverb.
It's not a real Norse saying probably, but it's absolutely a universal truth. Maybe you folks up on your Runic alphabets, or code decipherin' can translate!
Man, I remember the hours I spent figuring out all the runic writing on the Diary of a Madman cover and sleeve when i was a teen, fun times.

To my main workbench for dye, coming along nicely!

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
How about some genuine Canadian Content? BOOM!

other than the new Limited Edition Red/Black flannel "Canucklehead" guitar straps, there are a dozen other hoser-ish items here.
You fellas should be able to pick 'em out easy.

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
Watch "Zeal For Teal," a new Star Power series strap, to hit the Well-Hung Strapateria on reverb in the next couple days... Monster!

So much flash and sparkle, they won't even notice all the clams you dropped - (maybe I should keep it!)

Also, "Too Heavy" is almost ready for sale... just putting a couple of final finish coats on it. highest quality vegtan at 2-3/4" wide, hand-tooled, lightly padded, with a made up Viking proverb in runic letters on the tail strap whih speaks of different types of axes and possible damage potential

And, I watched the recent ZZ Top rockumentary. Was entranced by some Texas/western flash matching straps Dusty and Billy were sporting during some "Live" bridge bits.
Tried my hand at making something similar, it's gonna be lit! Almost ready, and the Well-Hung version will be exponentially more comfortable, as you would expect.

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #572 ·
Fella wanted to incorporate black leather, a triangle motif (to match fretboard inlays), in a different theme to somehow accent his zebra pupped supershred strat
I suggested the salt 'n pepper grill for the black/creme scheme, and adding the leather on top added a super funky texture. I believe he's another one of them
Marshall disciples, so this should work well for him

"Down With It" is totally going to look real great with his ibby

Just a little reminder... if you are aching to be Well-Hung, perhaps pointing your dearest wife, (or mistresses/boy toy, no judging),
towards the reverb site for seasonal gift giving, might address at least a few of the world's solveable problems!

Also, custom leather work, tooling, initials, fancy straps etc... probably a good idea to start thinking, reaching out to me now for the real cool personalized stuff.
I'm not anticipating any big seasonal rush... but I also don't want to leave anyone shamefully drunk and in tears under the tree this year like I was
last year. 🥴

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
Yo ho ho and a bottle 'o rum!
Booty-chasing bad boy pirate types will want to keep a spyglass on "Blackbeard." Coming to the Well-Hung shop soon, (once my road trip to visit the in-laws is complete).

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
Had some black grey and white hot rod flame fabric kicking 'round the shop... Cool fabric, but a little bit of air-brushing with some red/ yellow dye juiced it up kinda nice. Made this thing pretty darn lit! Gonna call it "licks"

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
Brad, have you ever considered doing a batch of gold-anodized Pro-Pins? I’d like to add a set to my LP Custom, but it’s better to look good than to feel good, you know? Not sure if the aluminum can hang with the sexy gold hardware ;)

Here’s my Well-Hung 1969 in action helping the 9.5 lb Custom feel comfy as anything.

Microphone Musical instrument Public address system Musician Musical instrument accessory

·
Mad Strappier
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
@jdto I'd do it, but I only get maybe 250 pairs made every couple of years due to the current demand, and it would probably take me 10 years to sell that many in gold.
Maybe someday when these things get some traction and I know I can sell maybe 250 pairs in a year.... It'd probably be not that expensive to get a set anodized locally.

Who here is yet-to-be convinced, but ready to graduate from painful starter pack straps to one worthy of a serious rig?
Watch out for a "Flak" attack coming later today to the Reverb Strapateria, soon to join over a hundred other ultra-comfortable, beautiful and original hand-made Well-Hung guitar strap creations

"Flak" is a No Prisoners Series one-only unique strap featuring thick gray cowhide, and a securely sewn woven feature belt in metallic gunmetal and black, with a few nickel rivets thrown on for good measure. Rolled edges for neck comfort, thick but compressy padding, and goes real nice and long from 47" to about 62" if you need that much! Most store-boughts are only good for about ten inches less, leaving many disappointed or angry.

While at the shop (link in my sig), why not peruse some of the feedbacks, readin' just like these or even better...

"Another magnificent work of wearable art. This "genocide" strap is awesome. The blood splatter just takes it over the top. It is very well made, nicely padded, and the bottom lining is just sticky enough. this is my third Well-Hung strap, and they are worth every penny. Keep up the great work!" Frank in North Carolina

"Now this is a strap! Super comfortable and very well made. I put it on my Fender Jazz Texas tea with a maple neck and it looks spectacular. Also, thanks for all the extras! I’ll be wearing my toque proudly this winter. You Rock" Robert in Massachusetts

"The most comfortable and beautiful strap possible!!! Best seller on Reverb! Many thanks for the hat, rag, picks and Cheezies!! The Cheezies were awesome too!" Adrian in North Carolina

"Gorgeous, over-the-top cool guitar strap. Very happy with it, it’s awesome!" Tom in California

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
@jdto I'd do it, but I only get maybe 250 pairs made every couple of years due to the current demand, and it would probably take me 10 years to sell that many in gold.
Maybe someday when these things get some traction and I know I can sell maybe 250 pairs in a year.... It'd probably be not that expensive to get a set anodized locally.
I hear you, man. I'll have to look into getting that done. I've seen some videos about home anodizing, so I'll also look into how complicated that is.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
My latest Well-Hung acquisition has found its place on my Monty Bluesmaster and I’d say it’s a pretty darn nice pairing!
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument accessory Wood

If you don’t have a Well-Hung strap, you’re missing out. My 9 lb 6 oz Custom rides comfortably for hours with the paisley 69 beauty.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument accessory Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory

I now officially have all of my electrics Well-Hung. The Wall of Well-Hung looks pretty good and it’s missing the TV Yellow Monty.

Musical instrument String instrument Guitar String instrument Light

Guitar Musical instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory Guitar accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

561 - 580 of 596 Posts