The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #541 ·
Kooky tale on how by pure chance I managed to acquire more of this dark and scary skull-embossed vegtan leather... but the important thing is... I did!

As ironical as it sounds... the Well-Hung Genocide series can now be resurrected! :-O Choose your own colour scheme, I'll make you a custom version which'll probably creep both you and your bandmates out! This one, dyed black then rubbed lightly with silver paste wax, then clearcoated. Mounted to a 3" wide padded black leather base, goes nice and lonnnnnnnnnnnng for face meltin' comfort

Also... Starry Night 2.0 is well along the way...

Happy hump day!

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 ·
Daily dose of StrapLab goodness... wholesome, hearty and vitamin packed!
Starry night 2.0 is done...

|Day before yesterday started a custom job for Zack, requested by wife of Zack

Also started a custom ACE of Spades strap this morning which includes a monogram inset on the back...
I'm trying to match this strap to this rather boring and lackluster paul...

I keed, I keed! I love the plaintops so much! This pic was sent to me by wifey... Another loving spouse order....
is this an iced tea? Or dirty Lemon? I'm not really to up on my burstology studies

Also the rose and cross is coming along rather ok... no major pitfalls.. She kind of wanted it in all brown tones but I couldn't help but just add a titch of green to the leaves

Actually this strap wouldn't look half bad on that burst!

Ok, well that's it for today. Dog sitting for a friend, time for walkies. We are having a wonderful fall up here, shame to spend all these last beautiful days down in the shop. As you all well know, winter comes real fast here in Canuckia - leaves are already falling up here in northern saskabush. Happy Hump Day CGF bros

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #543 ·
You're probably getting tired of looking at the same old work here for the past few days. Me too!
Time to send them on to the next chapter of their Well-Hung journeys

This one going actually almost local, to Fort McMurray, AB

Ok and that lackluster Les Paul plaintop from yesterday? 'member that one?
This strap soon on the way to the British Isles.

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #544 ·
Yesterday i passed SIX HUNDRED Five Star customer feedbacks on Reverb. So, a little spring in my step today.
Got another customer photo back... a few actually... "The Fornicator" from my No Prisoners series has finally found a suitable... uh... partner?

John out on Spud Island, Eastern Canuckia says: "Easily the most comfortable and well made guitar strap I’ve ever purchased! And it’s a beautiful to boot! In addition to making a wonderful product, he runs an excellent store with outstanding (and hilarious) communication. He has made this buyer into a future returning customer." Johnny H

While I'm in horn blowin' mode, how 'bout a few more recent feedbacks?

Eric purchased a "Blind to the Tyranny" strap "Proper lengths, unique materials, and outstanding craftsmanship make these the best straps available. As a bonus they are tough enough to survive outdoor gigs in the 100f 90% humidity Alabama summer without being ruined. 13/10 will buy again. " Eric in Alabama

On one of Brad's Paisleys: "Bruh, if you’re not Well-Hung yet, you're missing out. Not only is this strap well built, STUNNING (it’s purple paisley and I may be tacky but I don’t judge those who prefer… I dunno, snakeskin or whatever lol) and comfortable at the same time, the swag is awesome too! I get the best customer service, the nicest guitar strap ever, AND Canadian Cheesies?! That’s a hell of a deal I intend to capitalize on again very soon. Thank you! 10/10 will be buying from Well-Hung again." Paul in Oregon

Davey grabbed up a "Smoke Viper" "Kicking myself for not finding Well-Hung earlier. Wondering what unique pieces I have missed out on. Great transaction; First of many." Dave in Ontario

Landen in Oregon grabbed up "Buccaneer Crazy: "Could not be more stoked about this strap! It's extremely high quality, and even better than I expected. I absolutely love it. Thank you so much!"

Today in the shop I failed to complete anything! But I wasn't slackin'. I did mail two out, started three others that are going to be pretty cool. The Well-Hung custom queue is shorter now, if anyone is wanting jump in, or talk straps for something (or someone) special.

Have a great weekend you buncha hosers

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #545 ·
A little bit Steve Irwin, a little bit J. Peterman. "While on safari in ancient Siam, I chanced upon this aged oxblood leather, strong enough break a crocodiles' tooth, but as beautiful to the eye as a freshly tapped India Pale Ale on a hot summer's day"

"I married this oxblood leather to a buttery tan, flirting with olive-coloured garment leather and added a webbed belt with many decorative grommets. It all climaxed in a manly guitar strap practically oozing testostersone, sporting for musical mischief."

Meet "The Rogue" 3" wide, ultra padded, up to about 60" long in the Well-Hung way

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #546 ·
Super-knarly 💀 Well-Hung Genocide "Midas" version ultra-custom leather guitar strap. Soon headed to Florida for an arranged marriage with a vintage black and gold Gretsch

Probably look quite fearsome on your typical black beauty type gibby custom as well. 3" wide, garment leather with rolled edges and heavy padded for comfort. 52"-62" for wrist killin' low slingin' torture - but you gotta suffer to look cool, right? LOL!

This customer asked for cable management on the backside (a 1.5" strip of heavy elastic on the outside of the tail strap), and a couple of pick docks up near the front end.
Has a nice rich glow under the lights

Fashion Textile Sleeve Coat Collar

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #547 ·
Had to take some time for a family thing but I'm back in the shop and rarin' to go. This weekend Wife Calina gifted Zack a custom guitar strap we designed together.

And, I'm told he was quite emotional about the whole deal... "A Guitar strap for life!" he exclaimed. I agree, a fine strap SHOULD be for life!
What a beautiful gift from a loving wife.

Watch tomorrow for something called "Elephunk" and another called "Saddle Sore"

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #548 · (Edited)
few things already in or coming soon to the reverb store... the Church of the Cult of Well-Hung, always much better descriptions, more pics there

"Elephunk"

A back-end detail pic of "Saddle Sore" which is a back buckler in buttery Antique Saddle cowhide - wonderful luxe strap, classy

The Scoundrel, similar to The Rogue, but different. Maybe even slightly more of a dick if you get my drift. Count the grommets, LOL

And a couple still on the bench heading to the store in the next day or two. Rare for me... I don't often make all-black straps because they kind of bore me... but.... when I find a cool new material I'm game for a short run. Plus, black always seems to be popular, and a fella's gotta eat y'know

It's a very cool look under lights

What else can a good Canuckian Prairie fellow call this one but "Hammered"? LOL

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #549 · (Edited)
"Sinistra" from my No Prisoners series. Feast your eyes on the VERY FIRST EVER Well-Hung left-handed guitar strap! And, since you're used to it, it's suitably more costly than the exact same right-handed version would be!
I know, right? We do this because it's tradition and it's the right thing to do!

Get it?

At least one person already described the occasion as epic, historic, and amaze-balls too!

Are you suitably hyped yet?

It's made from a big ol' ladies belt with a floral emboss all on it, maybe belonged to your mama! Gots a vintagey hootenanny ribbon sewed all to it, and real good cowhide LEATHER Ends.

The only reason it's a Lefty-southpaw strap is because the base belt had a very slight curve built in to it. This strap works perfectly fine as a right hander, but I figured the very slight curve on it could possibly be a selling point! :p

also, it's a back-buckler in the Well-Hung style with the proprietary "strap chute" installed, and a quality buckle with a decent tooth. Note the leather is not an exact match, to the base vinyl but pretty close. Hardly notice it in person.

And check out this crazy Charlie Brown lining on the inside covering up the 1" thick foam padding. Good Grief!

This one is coming later tonight to Reverb, probably, unless I get distracted.
If you are a worldy person, or perhaps one of them paisley freaks.... watch out for tomorrow!o_O

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #550 ·
Get your elite strap snobbery on with Baron von Farout of Trippyton, or his rather close relative Lord Paisley of Grooveshire

It's the same fabric, just flipped over, to make two different kind of straps. sort of a semi-metallic finish on this really nice heavy upholstery fabric. The gold is so close to old greening goldtop gold it's crazy.

Sent out a couple of pairs of Well-hung old school leather straplocks this morning, all the way down to Cali

Also, coming soon... "Imperialist Scum" - a strap that has beaded flags of nine different nations that probably you already conquered on it or something. I note the maple leaf is not on this.
I can recognize about half of them. Maybe you higher functioning brain fellas can chime in and name 'em all. My mother in law sent me this belt she found in a thrift shop!

Extra points if you can name the l last one I cut off, on the far left below, but you can see it on reverb LOL!

Happy Friday my brothers, play some guitar!

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #551 · (Edited)
Try not to work too hard over the weekends here, on straps anyway... unless I have custom jobs waiting.
But, I like to always have something on the go, so I can sneak down and pick away at, in-between the honey-do list.

"Bone Hunter" one is on the bench, should be done over the next couple days... just needs holes punched,
photos taken etc...

Don't often make light-coloured straps, but I figured I'd try one for a change. Lotta studs and grommets in antique brass here.

Also, Ace of Spades #5 has landed in the UK and found it's betrothed, Andy's pride and joy. A custom order by his wife Di for a birthday gift... and she supplied a guitar photo for me to match. Her sneaky plan worked out rather well, and he sent me a photo and a few kind words of appreciation

Says Andy (to be read an outrageously British accent): "Not only does this strap look Ace, it is incredibly comfortable! Les Pauls are heavy, my beautiful R8 being no exception and this strap absorbs the weight effortlessly with its perfect width and padding. Also, it gives out just the right amount of grip controlling the guitar moving about brilliantly. Thanks again Brad, look out for more reviews after it’s first outing tonight"

All fine and good, but a problem I see here is Andy's apparent infestation of the dreaded Wall-Burrowing Guitar Leads. That, or he's discovered dude in the apartment next door owns a Dumble.

Reactions: jdto

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #553 ·
The "Elephunk" strap looks a little creepy to me.😄
I try to make all kind of flavours for all kind of guitarists! :ROFLMAO: One fellas creepy is another fellas OMGINEEDTHIS!

Speaking of which, later after suppertime I will be putting this one up on reverb. I expect to be boxing "Bravado" tomorrow morning.
3" wide, padded antique saddle leather with rolled-over edges, black riveted link belt all up it. A hot one.

Pro tip: because so much of my work is one-off or short run, not a bad idea to visit the Well-Hung store (link below), and hit the follow button
to get notification when list new stuff. That boosts your chances greatly at getting something you really want

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 ·
Finished a few this morning, a couple of new suede cowhide Excess of X's (hendrix/gilmour) with a ladder back adjustment rather than the traditional snaps like the original. Lotta makers make their own versions of this one, but none are padded like mine.

Started "Bone Hunter over the weekend, a rare light-coloured strap from my studio... in the No Prisoners series with a bunch of antique brass grommets and studs in a webbed belt, on a light cream coloured base, this one and Excess going up on reverb soon

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #555 ·
Long day today, mailed out a Matrika to Arizona, and picked up a package in the mail chock full of new silky dragon fabric, so watch for more of those coming down the pipe soon... plus one new colour!

Also completed a piece I've been meaning to finish for maybe ten days or so, just kept putting it aside. This one is called "Djentleman's Choice," accordingly it goes up to about 65" long. That's about 15" longer than most store-bought factory ladder back straps. Little bit dark, little bit scary. Whole lot of face meltin' comfort.

Also a total vintage throwback... I call this one "Two by Four" featuring gorgeous braided leather, 3" wide and looks like it just came out of a time machine back from 1973. Goes nice and long too. Not sure the measure, def. not quite 60" but I'll have all the deets up when it hits reverb probably tomorrow. Kind of want to keep this one. But man, as you may imagine, I have way too many straps already!

Tomorrow I'll also have a pic of some new swag that might make some brains boil!

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #556 ·

Faithful Well-Hung Tribemember Rich in the UK loves his Sum Yung Long Hung Guy Dragon embroidered strap so much, he made this hilarious recruitment/trailer!

Even name alone makes some people uncomfortable, can you imagine what kind of major patootie it actually kicks while on your shoulder?

I recently restocked more silky fabric and have restocked my Reverb store with more of the traditional red/black/gold scheme. I'll also be making more colours over the next few weeks. Contacted Bruce Lee, Hugh Hefner, and Burt Reynolds to endorse this fab guitar strap, still waiting for them to get back to me.

It's a customer favourite, so I gotta give the tribe what they want!

Speaking of which, some new swag I know the CGF crowd will appreciate.

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #557 ·
If they could, Hugh Hefner, Chuck Norris and Burt Reynolds would likely endorse these.
Even without their support, the sexy new Black/Gold Asian Dragon silk guitar straps will soon be coming in hot to the Reverb store.

I'll leave you to imagine what guitars one of these will compliment best, I have a few ideas of my own.
Heavy leather ends, ultra-padded and a roaring 3" wide to help the weight... just dissipate.

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #558 ·
New in the store today a couple of "Golden boys" - a strap I came up with to fill a particular Handsome/Elegant niche in the Reverb Store. I honestly can't think of a guitar (or guitar player) this strap wouldn't compliment rather nicely.

3" wide, convenient back buckler, goes about 45 to nearing 60 inches. which is pretty darn long! The way I build it you are going to have to try pretty damn hard and be rather clever to find a way to get the buckle to contact your guitar. VERY SAFE. Also, memory foam padding to tame any heavy beast that's pounding away at you.
Light camel coloured and thick microsuede lining, heavy dark brown oil-tanned leather ends.

I made one of these in early August, showed it off on a thread sort of similar to this one on another community... a bro grabbed it up lickety-split-quick. Me myself and I liked this one so much, crafted another one a week after that. An old guitar-pickin boss of mine challenged me to impress him with my leatherwork. Figured "Golden Boy" was the way to do it. As I hoped, he frickin' VED It!!!!!!!

Anyway, I finally got around to making a couple more of these yesterday and today. They take a bit more work but are worth it... now in the store. I would consider this one of my elite/luxe offerings, but still reasonably priced for the work and materials involved. Reasonably priced is subjective though, if you're used to spending $12 on starter pack guitar straps this might cut into your plonk budget.

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #559 ·
Who's ready to get their groovy on? Had an order for a custom over the weekend, got cracking on it early this morning after
measuring it out, choosing some appropriate hardware, casing the leather overnight (moisturizing), and pressing in stitch channels.

I made a total hand-carved paisley once before, it was more an experiment to see if I could actually do it, and it was a bit sloppy in
places... basically a test find good shapes, techniques and such. Still ended up to be a pretty nice strap, a bit short side though.
Luckily... I saved the paisley templates so I was able to use them again - Here i am marking the basic paisley botehs into the leather

Then I get the swivel knife going and carve out the shapes, and then the bevel tool to make them sort of 3D to jump out a bit.
This was a couple hours later... a bit rough... but coming along nice! I think for next time the tails won't be so twisty on the big
ones... really quite difficult to get in there with the bevel tool... gotta remember to modify that.

Then we put on some Bocephus, and just go to town with the tooling, a country boy can survive.

Just kind of going for it, a little planning involved.. but I like every paisley to be a little different from the others, so it don't end up looking like one of
them repetitive factory type straps. This is the fun part! Just be creative, try stuff... sometimes the results can really surprise a fella,
found some cool new ideas I can use even for the next go round. But this one already looking much cleaner than the first try I made a couple years ago.

Here's where I figured it was basically tooled, before putting some "action" decorative cuts into the leather to make it look like it's totally
looking into like @JRtele 's tummy with a microscope shortly after he gulps down his probiotics.

We leave you with a customer stable shot of some pretty ladies all in a row. Looks like another paisley freak guy.

More tomorrow, dye and stuff

Reactions: JRtele

·
Mad Strappier
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #560 ·
The paisley carve job continued today... later in the day yesterday, after adding some "decorative slashes" to give some action
to the designs. Then, dye stages...

The tele this is going on is a fenderish paisley in creme paisleys with silver background and a black metallic burst around it. The fella
just said he wanted a black paisley strap, but also gave me creative control on this, so I figured I'd try something before just laying on the black
over everything. Dyed it light, light yellow first, let that dry out for an hour or so. then lightly applied black so see what might happen.

This actually makes the paisley textures stand out real real nice. Looked super cool in places, but a little "splotchy."
Though I think this could work if a fella was more careful with the black. maybe use a different sort of applicator than sheepswool.
Something flat with out a lot of woolies. After the clear coat, it would just meld everything together in a real nice way.

But... to my eyes this kind of sucked and was beyond repair, so... onward with moar black!

Got it into all the cracks and crannies. Let that set in overnight, and this morning a couple rounds of remoisturizing with
neatsfoot oil.

Let it soak in, apply twice more. Rubbing it in real good, and buffing lightly between applications.

Affixing the hardwares, tail strap adjustment will go from about 47 -57". Sanding and burnishing the edges.

give it a real nice buff and shine. Tomorrow I am going to see if we can't jazz it up a bit, with the fella's permission, of course!
But, it's one of those risk/reward sort of scenarios. We shall see!

541 - 560 of 570 Posts