The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

241 - 256 of 256 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
New off the Straplab bench today very similar to one I made before and showed earlier in this thread and firmly in my 1969 series. Keeping with the convention of naming each strap after one of my fave songs released in that year... I think I could love her: Crystal Blue Persuasion

And at the same time, not really in the 1969 family, not really a No Prisoners type... Just a simple strap anomaly calling it Dark Argyle

Both nicely padded, on beautifully comfortable 3" wide black leather base.
Fantastic pair of guitar straps... see them soon in the Reverb boutique

over the weekend I finished a far-out trippy one called "Orange Sunshine" - heavy maroon leather, vintage paisley print fabric.
Drop that on your Cherry Sunburst and blow some minds.

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #242 (Edited)
PHOTO above...

As of this week, the Well-Hung Shock & Awe milspec guitar strap series is into the mid-sixties now, stretching towards the 70's.

Not sure about CGFers but a number of MLPers, AGF'rs and TGPers are members of the militia, each one is individually patched, numbered, and these are soon about to be battle-distressed by yours truly. If one of these matches your birth year and you are considering picking one up, I do suggest putting my Reverb store on watch, or if you happen to be a strategic sort, just message me here to head off the listing. Personally, I'm a kid from '66 and to me having that one would be cool - but I already claimed my own early on, I kept #09 back for myself. There are even be a bunch out there predating my numbering system, but I can't remember how many of those I made, three or four maybe?

Life hacks from the master:

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #244 (Edited)
Idea came to me in a dream the other night... after almost ten years at this, yesterday I realized I'd never attempted the ever-popular lighting bolt motif strap before. Well-Hung members know I don't care much to do what's been done before, unless I can switch it up a little bit, make it my own in some special way.

So today, you get to witness the unveiling of the dangerously-electrifrying Well-Hung ZAP! in cool Fender grill becoming bornded - She's kinda tricky sewing around all those sharp corners of the electrical bolt, but we got 'er OK. 3" wide, padded, will be beautifully comfy.

Almost as shocking as them fun old two pronger plugs at that rainy outdoor gig. Or perhaps you forget to dump those caps before digging deep under the hood of your old Bassman head? The Well-Hung ZAP! is a fun one, black leather, silvery, glittery grill cloth, I think someone'll want this when she's done.

#1 complete!

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
This morning I was cleaning up the bench a bit and saw a pair of black leather lighting bolt cutouts kind of floating around in the tools and junk, wondering mightily just where those may had come from. "Hmmmmm..." sez that little crazy guy that lives in my brain, "I wonder?"

Hauled out my tickle trunk of saved fabric (I'm a bit of a pack rat). After digging around a bit, came up with some glittery gold stuff. That'll do. Today we're making a couple of straps in my long-running "Star Power" series, which I have let lapse without replenishment for too darn long. Well-Hung Star Powers are glittery, showy straps crafted to explode with pure awesomeness under hot stage lighting for positively pimpin' presence purposes.

While I was working on them, I came up with an appropriate name for them... meet "None More Glam"

A few hours later, modeled by a Hamer DC in Golden Wolf finish

Definitely very sparkly.

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Today we have a short detour for excellent TVvoodoo Family news. My son Alex who is graduating high school this year (yeah, what a rip job they got), was named Valedictorian, which he was gunning hard for. He is just finishing up calc and chem via correspondence when most of his classmates just took the marks that were offered when school closed in late March due to the Wuhan Flu. We all agreed it was best he make sure to get his full courses done because he was offered an academic scholarship by the Engineering program at the University of Alberta next fall, and he will probably need that stuff under his belt. For kids going to college there are a lot of question marks floatin' around right now, but we shall see what comes of it.

So, very proud father of a super smart young man. Thank god the kid only got my good looks, not my brains. I was looking at his calculus work the other day. That shadizzle is way beyond me, but I was never a real mathy guy. Anyway, just busting my buttons over here.

This morning I completed another in the Well-Hung Star Power theme, when I was going through fabrics yesterday I found this sparkly copper stuff I had saved from way back, and figured I should do something with it... "Copper Top" was the result. Another showy strap with some bling, built with beefy strong black leather front & back, and luxuriously padded for ultimate comfort.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not sure if you showed the Basket Case on this well-hung thread, but that is an awesome strap, which I plan on including in an upcoming video... Cool Guitar Gear 2020 - Quarantine Edition. It's also the official strap on my Music Man Majesty... I'll be showing off the strap in that demo as well.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Today we have a short detour for excellent TVvoodoo Family news. My son Alex who is graduating high school this year (yeah, what a rip job they got), was named Valedictorian, which he was gunning hard for. He is just finishing up calc and chem via correspondence when most of his classmates just took the marks that were offered when school closed in late March due to the Wuhan Flu. We all agreed it was best he make sure to get his full courses done because he was offered an academic scholarship by the Engineering program at the University of Alberta next fall, and he will probably need that stuff under his belt. For kids going to college there are a lot of question marks floatin' around right now, but we shall see what comes of it.

So, very proud father of a super smart young man. Thank god the kid only got my good looks, not my brains. I was looking at his calculus work the other day. That shadizzle is way beyond me, but I was never a real mathy guy. Anyway, just busting my buttons over here.

This morning I completed another in the Well-Hung Star Power theme, when I was going through fabrics yesterday I found this sparkly copper stuff I had saved from way back, and figured I should do something with it... "Copper Top" was the result. Another showy strap with some bling, built with beefy strong black leather front & back, and luxuriously padded for ultimate comfort.

He'll be thankful for the extra time he put into calculus, going into an Eng program. Engineering degrees are just 50 shades of calculus, over a variety of applications.

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #250 (Edited)
Not sure if you showed the Basket Case on this well-hung thread, but that is an awesome strap, which I plan on including in an upcoming video... Cool Guitar Gear 2020 - Quarantine Edition. It's also the official strap on my Music Man Majesty... I'll be showing off the strap in that demo as well.
Bri thank you - keep me posted - Basket Case is one of my favourite new offerings...

Your basic black leather strap, but quite a bit different than anything out there, vintagy/cool with Well-Hung comfort. Great woven texture on top just like the leather steering wheel cover on your sporty little red convertible LOL! You diggin' it makes me happy as I'm pretty sure you see a lot of real nice gear going through doing what you do. I expect Gator/Levy's will be offering very similar in a few months without the Well-Hung padding and high quality leather on the ends. Bugs me, but I'm getting used to it. Do it over and over - they'll pinch every penny they can in the making of, too.

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
I just received XONOTH in the mail, I love it. Photos to follow. How did you get the Imgur post to show up BTW?
I don't use that host but if you grab a link from IMGUR and click the little picture box on top of the posting window and paste the link in the box that comes up???

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
BTW the strap buttons are just amazing. You should patent and sell the design to PRS to replace their design-it does everything that the giant PRS button does but without the need to unscrew the buttons or cut your strap to install it. A lot of the designs make the front edge of the button too thick so it won't slide through the strap holes.

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #254
^ Thanks Z-Dog! I don't know much about patenting, and really there's not a whole lot of money to be made in the strap button game, contrary to what I was thinking a few years ago.

Today I am working on finishing up a couple of graphite pythons which sold out a month ago, figured why not attempt a really dark "ZAP!" with some leftover scary distressed nickel genocide stuff. All those should be ready to go outward this afternoon.

Also pleased to report we have a new Shock & Awe Recruit from Great Britain! Yesterday I just sent a half-dozen Well-Hung Pro-Pins, (oversize strap buttons) all the way to Germany! Worldwide baby!

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #255 (Edited)
TGIF my guitar-addicted compadres! Yesterday was Thursday, tomorrow will be Saturday. Ah... the sheer genius of it.

This morning I am packing a few things but before I sent these away, I wanted to lay in a quick photo.

Guy ordered a couple pairs for himself, asked me if I could try to match his straps. Then, he added a plain black set for a gift to his guitar instructor. Thoughtful! Probably the only guys who remember these have some grey hair happening, like me. Secure convenient time-tested alternative to clunky plastic or metal gadgetry. Don't think anybody else is doing these. Well-Hung Old School strap locks, baby!

Also, yesterday started a replenishment of a popular one, hoping to complete a few this weekend. The Well-Hung "Tweedly Wheedly" is a highly evolved heavy genuine tweed fabric strap, (not plasticky junk), with high quality ends, 3" wide, padded generously. I took one to a Stang Guitars in Edmonton once, laid it down beside a big name factory off-the-rack version. It was pure comedy. Though to be fair, mine are NOT $22 LOL!

Gonna finish packing boxes, hit the post office then my son and I are gonna to see if we can go hit some balls into the slough.

Happy Friday!

·
Mad Strappier
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Up with the chickens this morning, had to box up a Devil's Leash, send to BC. Also wanted to finish the two day carving/tooling event on this one... another replica Allman Mountain strap custom order.... Need it to sit for a day...heading to the lake later for a little family picnic thing.

In all its stoner psychedelic fantasy glory... serious project!

At this point I'm are calling the carving and tooling 90% done. Now have to bring the moisture content way DOWN on these pieces prior to dying the leather, so it soaks in real good. It's outside blowing in the morning sun and gentle breeze as I write this. We are going to try for a modified colour version from the original, a cherry sunburst sort of effect.

241 - 256 of 256 Posts