The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. So my Father-in-law is one of those "auction hunter" types. Finds things at yard sales, estate sales, auctions, antique shops and even Value Village, buys them and flips them at auction. He usually does pretty well for himself too. Lately he's been on a guitar buying spree! He's brought home 70's Ovation, a lot of Yamaha acoustics and even an Ibanez 7 string! He usually brings them to me and asks me to go over them, clean them and give them a basic set up (I'm self taught and this is a great way for me to expand my skills) and then he sells them. It's kind of fun. I get my hands on something new and get to noodle around on it for a few days and then get to hone my set up skills. He always pays me back for any strings etc the guitars need.

I usually do a bit of research and help him with the prices but this time I'm a little stumped with what to tell him so I figured I'd ask here. Last week he dropped off a 2008 Squier Strat. It is Indonesian according to the serial number. It is in great condition (aside from previous owner etching their initials into the pick guard). It is black on black on black with a rosewood-esque finger board and a 70's style headstock. So right away I know that people ask a wide range of prices for these, anywhere from $100-$250 depending on how married they are to getting all of their money out of them. But then I notice it has "Duncan Designed" pickups that look like they are tiny humbuckers. I've never seen humbuckers the size of single coils before.

Does this effect the value at all? I'm guessing not much, but I try to give my FIL as close estimate on the price as I can.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would think that having 'Duncan designed' pickups would indicate a slighter better model if they are original to the guitar but whether that relates to it being worth more is anyone's guess. If you could post some photos it would help and maybe other forum members more familiar with the Squier line will be able to narrow it down for you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At first I was thinking 70's modified Strat, but pics and video show the VM to have a black/white/black pick guard, traditional single coil pups and a maple gloss neck. This one has a plain black pick guard, single coil sized humbuckers and a matte neck with rosewood-esque finger board. Pics below.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Is the Squier script on the headstock gold or black? The vintage modified series have gold script iirc.

·
Premium Member
4,989 Posts
A great way to learn a lot about repairs and set-up. Good for you and your father in law. Its more about spending time together and thats worth more than the price of the guitar.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks. I'll agree that it's a great way to learn about set-ups and repair, but my Father-in-law and I don't spend much time together. He calls me up and tells me he has a guitar and asks if I'd be willing to take a look at it. I go over and pick it up. I monkey with it until it's as good as I can make it without spending much money, maybe $10-$15 max and then hand it back to him. I like my FiL and he likes me, but we aren't buddies. Just some mutual respect.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
CV 50's version is maple, CV 60's version is rosewood, VM 70's can be Maple or Rosewood

Reactions: cboutilier
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.