The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what one of the early Fender Japan Squier Strats with the SQ serial number and some modest play wear would be worth these days. I know they aren't as valuable as the JV models, but certainly must be fairly desirable. Discuss!

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
I will see you your grasshopper and raise you a rabbit.

+

Reactions: SaucyJack

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... crickets. :|

Well, someone once told me that they are the best 70's style Strats out there, because the American ones of that time were typically not that great but the Japanese quality in 1983/84 was quite a bit superior. Any merit to that? Anyone ever owned one?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Hmm... crickets. :|

Well, someone once told me that they are the best 70's style Strats out there, because the American ones of that time were typically not that great but the Japanese quality in 1983/84 was quite a bit superior. Any merit to that? Anyone ever owned one?
Troy, it's late at night and we're just having you on a bit. We have had a number of posts saying these are good gits. Personally, though, I have no idea what they are worth.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
I was just messin' - and bumpin'....

Anyway, I owned this american strat from 75 and I didn't like it at all, but I haven't played a japanese one from that era. I imagine it couldn't be much worse.

Japanese fenders from 83-85 have a history of selling between $600 to $1000 CAD

strat front 1975.jpg

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
1983/84 SQ Squire Strat=400.00 maybe 500.00 Canadian

1983/84 Fender reissue Strat=4000.00 maybe 5000.00 Canadian depending on color and electronics....

·
Premium Member
11,605 Posts
4 - 5 K for an 83/84 Strat? Where?

I own a '73 with a maple board and a mid/late '80s Japanese E-series with a rw board. The '73 is a better guitar, IMO. Pickups, hardware, vibrato, even the wood is all superior. The '73 is the first year of the microtilt and I've had mine secured with some sandpaper - other than that, no mods. It just sounds like a strat. The E-series required some mods (primarily pickups, those ceramics are kinda high OP) and the vibrato is still light-duty and should be changed. I just haven't go around to it yet, after having all that pickguard fun with it.

As to the OP's question, I would guess $600 - $800 maybe. I paid just under $500 for that E-series, I think (no case or bag, though).

Reactions: troyhead

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
I've owned them before and, with the exception of the electronics, they're excellent guitars. I've seen a few of these in recent years and they seem to actually sell for around $500. A JV Squier just sold on the forum for around $700, and those are vastly superior instruments IMO...so I wouldn't expect much beyond $500.

Reactions: troyhead

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, all! I've been intrigued by an SQ Strat and was wondering if it would be worth it to give it a try, or if I'd get hosed on resale if I decided I didn't like it. In the end it seems like it's a reasonable deal, so I decided to pick it up. If the guitar and I don't get along, maybe it will make it to the "For Sale" section. We'll see. I'm more of a Tele guy, but wanted to give this a go.

For the record, it seems that there may be some variety in specs in these, as the general rule with Fender is that there are no rules. :) From what I've been able to learn, there were differences between some models, but not a whole lot different in terms of overall quality between the SQ and later JV models. The JV's were made from 82-84 and based on vintage models from the 50's and 60's, while the SQ's were made in 83-84 based on 70's stylings and made for export from Japan. Early JV's had all American electronics, but later JV's & SQ's had Japanese pickups, but still with proper Alnico pole magnets. The pups in this SQ measure 6.1/5.9/6.1 DC and the middle is not RWRP. This SQ does indeed have a big block trem as well. (Perhaps the later "E" series was when ceramic pickups and light-duty trem started?) The SQ was made from Sen Ash, which is local to Japan (not sure about the JV's)

Probably the biggest reason for the higher price of the JV's is their collectability because they were first, and the early ones were made in relatively low numbers. Early JV's also had the big "Fender" logo and little "Squier", while the latter had the big "Squier" logo. The earlier JV's also had the American electronics. The vintage styles were also desirable because Fender hadn't made them in quite a long time by 1982.

Anyway, thanks again to all for your insight!

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of grasshoppers the last few years compared to when we were kids and you couldn't get away from the things?
I did spend more time in the bush as a child, so I'm not sure if that's why I haven't seen much. I have noticed that those big grey ones that you'd find at the sides of roads are scarce.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
Thanks, all! I've been intrigued by an SQ Strat and was wondering if it would be worth it to give it a try, or if I'd get hosed on resale if I decided I didn't like it. In the end it seems like it's a reasonable deal, so I decided to pick it up. If the guitar and I don't get along, maybe it will make it to the "For Sale" section. We'll see. I'm more of a Tele guy, but wanted to give this a go.

For the record, it seems that there may be some variety in specs in these, as the general rule with Fender is that there are no rules. :) From what I've been able to learn, there were differences between some models, but not a whole lot different in terms of overall quality between the SQ and later JV models. The JV's were made from 82-84 and based on vintage models from the 50's and 60's, while the SQ's were made in 83-84 based on 70's stylings and made for export from Japan. Early JV's had all American electronics, but later JV's & SQ's had Japanese pickups, but still with proper Alnico pole magnets. The pups in this SQ measure 6.1/5.9/6.1 DC and the middle is not RWRP. This SQ does indeed have a big block trem as well. (Perhaps the later "E" series was when ceramic pickups and light-duty trem started?) The SQ was made from Sen Ash, which is local to Japan (not sure about the JV's)

Probably the biggest reason for the higher price of the JV's is their collectability because they were first, and the early ones were made in relatively low numbers. Early JV's also had the big "Fender" logo and little "Squier", while the latter had the big "Squier" logo. The earlier JV's also had the American electronics. The vintage styles were also desirable because Fender hadn't made them in quite a long time by 1982.

Anyway, thanks again to all for your insight!
Post a pic when you get a chance.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts