The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I never adjust my tone pots and one day started wondering what difference it would make removing the tone pot out of the signal (ala some of Gibbons' guitars).

So one day I unsoldered the wire and discovered it made the sound of my bridge pickup a little more raunchy IMO. So now I've done that to a few of my guitars.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Check out our other videos for similar breakdowns.

I never adjust my tone pots and one day started wondering what difference it would make removing the tone pot out of the signal (ala some of Gibbons' guitars).

So one day I unsoldered the wire and discovered it made the sound of my bridge pickup a little more raunchy IMO. So now I've done that to a few of my guitars.
Same here. A no load tone pot actually does the same thing, but you retain the use of the tone knob should you ever decide to do that (or sell it to someone who uses their tone knob.)

·
Registered
463 Posts
I thought about trying a no-load pot but then figured if I never adjust the tone, what's the point of even using a no-load? Lol. A 1-second tap of a soldering iron puts things back to normal if ever needed.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
Thanks for that. Very well done. On a side note sorta, it's my opinion that anyone playing a guitar professionally (or not) should watch this. For me, just understanding how the end result (sound of the guitar) gets to where it's at is as important as the music itself. Gives you one more advantage when constructing your sound.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
@jbealsmusic I'd like to say that your attention to hand and nail care prior to making your videos does not go unappreciated. There's nothing more off-putting than watching a close-up video of hands with loads of grime hanging out under long fingernails or hands with cuts and sores all over. If I'm watching the video full-screen, things can get up to 10x the size of real life, and that's stuff I just don't want to see larger than life! So thanks!

If I can make another suggestion for your Inside Out series, pickup selector switches (blade and/or toggle) could be a good topic. I would be nice to be able to point someone to videos with a clear explanation of how they work (and perhaps how the import blades in particular vary from the ones you carry).

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
@jbealsmusic I'd like to say that your attention to hand and nail care prior to making your videos does not go unappreciated. There's nothing more off-putting than watching a close-up video of hands with loads of grime hanging out under long fingernails or hands with cuts and sores all over. If I'm watching the video full-screen, things can get up to 10x the size of real life, and that's stuff I just don't want to see larger than life! So thanks!
Hahhaa. I can't take all the credit. For these videos, I mostly just do the camera work, final script editing, voice over, and music. Those are the hands of Kamil, our resident shredder. In his words, "Clean hands mean clean shredding."

If I can make another suggestion for your Inside Out series, pickup selector switches (blade and/or toggle) could be a good topic. I would be nice to be able to point someone to videos with a clear explanation of how they work (and perhaps how the import blades in particular vary from the ones you carry).
That's a great idea. But don't even get me started on the nonsensical import blade switches. lol If it were up to me, every switch would be a 2 or 4 pole Oak/Grigsby. It doesn't get any easier than that as far as understanding signal flow.

But, I don't write the initial scripts or edit the videos, so it won't be my problem trying to figure out how to explain it all. Hooray for having staff!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts