The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Based on the info in the thread, what's easier to sell?

• Strat

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • SG

Votes: 4 30.8%
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a potential trade looming. My SG for a Black american strat with upgraded pups.

Objective is to get one sold, since I'm not interested in keeping either. I'm hoping to do a last sale before Elmira Thread and include one of these guitars or take it to the show.

Thoughts? Experiences?

BTW, my SG is a 2004, cherry, in played condition.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
While the strat is more popular, there are thousands for sale and unless it is something special it will just be lumped in with all the other strats for sale, at least in people's minds. The SG is not as popular so it may sell faster. Put them both up for sale and if one sells before Elmira, take the remaining one with you.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
8,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys.

I currently own the SG and would be trading for the strat @Steadfastly. I definitely won't be buying the strat. It comes with the original loaded pickguard, which means I can remove and sell the one currently with the fat 50s installed.

I'm just looking at it from a monetary perspective.

·
Premium Member
9,770 Posts
Guessing the SG as an outright sale, just because of how many Strats are available on any given day - I'd bet on 10:1 easily and it might be 20:1. Unless there's something really unique about the Strat that makes it unresistably attractive to the marketplace (hey! it's a '63 and I only want $800!), the SG well priced will move as quickly or sooner.

BTW, if it's a '63 and $800, you know my number.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I'm a kijiji whore and have been to the Elmira Show 4 times (twice as a vendor).
I'll have a table there again this year.
Look me up at the show! I have my table booked.

My first thought is Strat but I've always had a hard time moving black guitars - one exception was a Tyler that had a gorgeous piano black finish.
I've had more requests to build black guitars than than any other single colour.

To the OP, my vote is that the Strat will be easier to move.

The most requested guitar shape I get though is the Tele.

·
Premium Member
12,979 Posts
I think the answer is the one you can give the best deal on compared to the competition.

Strat - more customers but more competition.
SG - just the opposite.

Reactions: Adcandour

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Look me up at the show! I have my table booked.

I've had more requests to build black guitars than than any other single colour.

To the OP, my vote is that the Strat will be easier to move.

The most requested guitar shape I get though is the Tele.
And to think Leo almost scrapped his masterpiece after its handicapable brother was born.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
BTW, my SG is a 2004, cherry, in played condition.
Your SG is a 2004, cherry...what? Classic? Special? Standard? Custom?

To answer your question, they are both very easy to sell if you price them realistically. If you're a daydreamer and price them like most do on kijiji, you will be hanging onto them for a long while.

Used black American Strats are in the $700 range. Can't say what the SG is worth since you did not mention what model. A Classic is about $700, Special about $450, Standard, about $800, and I know it's not a Custom. I was just being cheeky. :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts