The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been on a quest to find the perfect little amp for low volume playing at home in my livingroom.
I am looking for some suggestions. I don't really care if its solid state or tube.
The main thing is I need reverb and overdrive. I am picky about reverb and want a good Fender type reverb.
Also, please don't recommend and amp with pedals. I have an old champ and pedals.
My space is very limited and I don't even have room for an extra plug for an adaptor.
Ideally I would like a Fender champ with reverb and overdrive.
Here is what I have had so far:

Fender Vibro champ XD-------horrible little amp. All the overdrives sound like the same cheap pedal. Reverb was lame

Blackstar little tube amp, not bad, but weak reverb and overdrive a bit to metal sounding.

Small Orange amp. The best of the lot, good clean, decent reverb, overdrive a bit to heavy but I might get another if nothing else comes up

Roland cube 30. Pretty good amp, reverb a bit weak. The best overdrives of them all, but cleans kind of suck

I know...I'm picky and looking for something that might not exist.
There was a Swart AST for sale locally with the attenuator, probably exactly what I want....but just a bit out of my price range.
Open to suggestions, and if you have something for sale, PM me.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My first thought was the Super Champ X2. Don’t know the sound difference between the vibro. Was playing mine today and loving it. I like the dirty Princeton. I was listening to Chappers using the katana head with built it speaker. Sounded good but I didn’t hear the speaker as he was using it direct.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By heavy, I mean too much like metal, not a nice overdrive. With a combo with an 8 or 10" speaker, I am not worried about weight.
I have a bum ear and can't use headphones.
I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and its great, but its just too loud.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
By heavy, I mean too much like metal, not a nice overdrive. With a combo with an 8 or 10" speaker, I am not worried about weight.
I have a bum ear and can't use headphones.
I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and its great, but its just too loud.
How the Orange sound with less gain? Conversely, how does the express sound turned down? That would be my first suggestion.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
12" speakers are just too loud. They move too much air no matter the setting.
I won't try one of the new Fender champs again.
If I can talk over a 100W head pushing a 412, I'm not sure how a 112 combo would be too loud unless you made it too loud.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
If I can talk over a 100W head pushing a 412, I'm not sure how a 112 combo would be too loud unless you made it too loud.
I can't really see what the difference an 8, 10, or 12 inch speaker makes in a small amp playing at living room practice levels either. I use all 3 in my apartment.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the Orange it was just the character of the gain.
The Mesa sounds awesome. Even with the master volume, it doesn't do low volume.
But, I do realise the Orange was very good. especially seeing as the go for 150$ or so.

·
Premium Member
16,831 Posts
They do low volume because they have a master. As a former recto owner, who was in a room in a townhouse next to a baby, I can attest to this.

However if you are not interested in fiddling with the volume any more on the Express, I do wish you the best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about one of the Yamaha thr amps? They get pretty glowing reviews. And seem to meet your size requirements.
I will look into those. As for the Mesa, its not about fiddling with the volume, its just that it goes from zero to loud. I guess I should specify...I am talking really low volume. I usually play at night while watching TV when the kids are asleep.
BTW..how is the reverb on the Yamaha's?

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
I will look into those. As for the Mesa, its not about fiddling with the volume, its just that it goes from zero to loud. I guess I should specify...I am talking really low volume. I usually play at night while watching TV when the kids are asleep.
BTW..how is the reverb on the Yamaha's?
I'm basically recommending 2 of the amps I see recommended a lot, and that people seem to love. I've never played either. I've been pretty blown away by Katanas demos and I plan to get one though.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Marshall SL-5 can be played very quiet and sounds great. 5w and 1x mode. Reverb. Does have a 12” speaker but I use mine all the time with the family in bed.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts