The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For awhile now we have been trying out vocalists , with no luck...They contact me, wanting our set list...they usually have a week or two , to prepare and we are easy...the first meeting we look for just a few songs that they can sing..
They come in not knowing anything, they don’t know when to come in and they sometimes don’t have the melody even right.. it ends up a big waste of time, and this goes on and on..

You get them coming in with nothing ....I thought a person that wanted to do there best would have there own special microphone.....they cannot even bring a bottle of water....what is wrong with these so call vocalist , all these singers are coming off kijij, so I am getting the feeling they are just left overs, nobody else wants them..

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think your right , need to start going to open jams , that way there are no surprises...I never thought there was so many people out there that think they can sing...and also think they got the melody right when there not even close...it’s amazing, I guess it may have to do with being tone deaf...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It's just people who don't take it remotely seriously.
Yep...through a couple bands, finding guys that wanted a chance, but then show up knowing nothing...
Always game to meet other musicians, but band night isnt a social outing

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
None of those sounded like a singer, or any singer that I'd want to deal with.

Ya, open mics, or even karaoke nights (if that's still a thing) may render a candidate.

·
Premium Member
10,948 Posts
I've had the pleasure of working with some pretty good singers over the years, and unless they're also an instrumentalist they're unlikely to own their own gear. I don't get it, but starting as an instrumentalist means I was used to buying all my own gear. I HATE sharing a microphone, perhaps it's a phobia about others' goobers all over my windscreens or maybe I'm just a prick.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
I've had the pleasure of working with some pretty good singers over the years, and unless they're also an instrumentalist they're unlikely to own their own gear. I don't get it, but starting as an instrumentalist means I was used to buying all my own gear. I HATE sharing a microphone, perhaps it's a phobia about others' goobers all over my windscreens or maybe I'm just a prick.
Vocalist screening interview question: "Do you own a microphone?"

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Amazing ! I though I had heard the best and the worse on reality show auditions like The voice an XFactor !
I am fortunately honest enough to myself : I do not sing !

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I have nothing to help you. But have been frustrated by singers who I know have performed, ask me to play a song with them, but don't know what key they do it in.

And then there's the sing-along party people: ask for a song, I say sure but you'll have to sing, they say sure..... and can't even get through the first verse. Just makes me laugh :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts