The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
1) Live closer together.
2) Use public transit.
3) Be more accepting of small nuclear stations.
4) Drive less.
6) Don't all use available power at once.

We behave as if having 4 cars in the driveway of a 5-bedroom home miles away from anything is how it has always been. It hasn't. Changes to society and technology have nudged us to live in different ways which are not entirely sustainable, and certainly not without penalty. Time to change again.

As wonderful as hydro-electric power, wind and solar are, there is always the challenge of delivering the power they can provide, and the huge and costly infrastructure required to get that power from where it is generated to where it is used. That was a problem even without the advent of electric vehicles. That's why I say #3 above.

Not that any single one is great cause for concern or blame, but the number of "power vampires" (things that sit consuming power, 24/7, even if at a low rate) just keep mushrooming. How many things do you own/use that spend long periods consuming power, even though not in use? When you go out of town, what happens to your microwave, PVR, TV, desktop computer, or anything else that can be powered on with a remote? Do you unplug them, or just leave them? Do yo consider a dark screen as not using power? Again, none of that would be enough to power a car, but across the population they add up. We hear whining about the inconvenience of daylight savings time, but what would be the impact on the grid of eliminating it?
All good suggestions, all it requires is changing the way society operates. Minimum wage workers in big cities have to commute because the prices are too high near work. Living closer together is good in urban areas, if they make the building codes to ensure that, and end the ever expanding suburbs. There will still be those who travel 2 hours to go go work regardless, and there are still rural and remote communities to contend with. People still need the raw resources that come from smaller towns.

Nuclear is contentious, but probably still our best bet. Particularly the small modular reactors that are being designed these days. Very interesting safely solutions so that the natural state of the reactor is shut down, so that any injury to the plant prevents meltdown. We still have to figure out the waste problem with it. To me it just makes sense to put it back where it came from. Deep underground in safe storage in stable rock. Perhaps someday they will figure out a use for it. Nuclear fusion is an interesting concept too, I don't know if it will ever get to the point of being commercially viable, but they're working on it. Some interesting developments in tokamak design have gotten them closer.

To spread the load over different times of the day would require restructuring the schedules of a lot of people, doable but like I said, we need to change the way society operates. The last couple of years have proven the many jobs can be done right from home with no need of transportation at all, and a lot of the time, more efficiently.

There is never one solution, it will be a series of small incremental steps, as there always is. You are quite correct when you said "time to change again". We have been a pretty resiliant species so far, but by nature, reactive, not proactive. BTW, I have my TV and associated "power vampires" on a power bar. The whole shebang gets shut right off when I am not using it....I think I watched something on TV in January, but not sure now...lol.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Also in a lot of small towns or older cities like mine (Hamilton) only have 60 to 100 amp service. (I've turned down buying a few nice homes that only had 60 amps!) I'm not sure how many amps are required for charging, 110vs 220 but almost everone in Hamilton would have to upgrade their fuse boxes to at least 200 amps. Or install a sub box for that 30-50 amps required to charge. That adds what?- another 4k at today's rates to the price of the car. ? Keep in mind if you call a contractor and ask to have your box upgraded they have to make sure it fits NEW code, so GFI's everywhere. I may even be under estimating that cost.
60 amp services are few and far between these days as most insurance companies require a 100 amp service minimum for new clients. And quite honestly if you're still running 60 amp it's a good idea to upgrade anyway.
As for a "sub box", not required for a Level 2 charger, just need two side by side slots in your existing panel. Also don't need a 200 amp service unless your 100 amp panel is pushed to the limit already and in most houses it's not.
Also, if a contractor pulls a permit to install a new panel he's only required to make sure that installation is up to code not the whole house. Unless there's something glaringly unsafe outside of the panel install it won't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
That authoritarian coercion may just come from mother nature herself...aka, adapt or die.
As it was in the past. Ice ages, droughts, volcanic/earthquake wipe outs etc.
Humanity adapted.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts