The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
11,330 Posts
When my kids were teenagers we had 4 cars parked in the driveway. Are today's young families expected to have 4 separate chargers? How long can the cable be? Is it universal to fit various brands?

Best as I can figure, until we can charge a vehicle from the road surface (like a big slot car) or from a sufficiently- capable solar panel built into a vehicle's body panels the world can't go with more than about 10% EVs.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
you can't add pony panels to 60 or 100 amp boxes ... you have to upgrade the lines to the house and the main box to 200A...

nah, they'll just steal the extension cords :D
kids can sell the copper to pay for the upgrade to 200!

Reactions: Wardo

·
Premium Member
28,369 Posts
1) Live closer together.
2) Use public transit.
3) Be more accepting of small nuclear stations.
4) Drive less.
6) Don't all use available power at once.

We behave as if having 4 cars in the driveway of a 5-bedroom home miles away from anything is how it has always been. It hasn't. Changes to society and technology have nudged us to live in different ways which are not entirely sustainable, and certainly not without penalty. Time to change again.

As wonderful as hydro-electric power, wind and solar are, there is always the challenge of delivering the power they can provide, and the huge and costly infrastructure required to get that power from where it is generated to where it is used. That was a problem even without the advent of electric vehicles. That's why I say #3 above.

Not that any single one is great cause for concern or blame, but the number of "power vampires" (things that sit consuming power, 24/7, even if at a low rate) just keep mushrooming. How many things do you own/use that spend long periods consuming power, even though not in use? When you go out of town, what happens to your microwave, PVR, TV, desktop computer, or anything else that can be powered on with a remote? Do you unplug them, or just leave them? Do yo consider a dark screen as not using power? Again, none of that would be enough to power a car, but across the population they add up. We hear whining about the inconvenience of daylight savings time, but what would be the impact on the grid of eliminating it?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Didn't read the whole thread, but I'm pretty sure it turns out the same as any that involve naysayers about EVs.

Is this is really much better ?

Building Vehicle Urban design Neighbourhood Residential area

Bedrock Wood Road surface Grey Tints and shades

When Henry came out with its Model T, if internet forum had existed, we would have found threads exactly like this one. Of course if tomorrow every car magically turned into an EV the grid would melt. Food industry would also collapse if everybody had their own producing garden and greenhouse ... tomorrow. Those major societal changes take time and energy (pun intended), time being the key word here.

Maybe in not such along time your property will produce enough clean energy to fill ALL of your needs. If you think that is a unicorn, then your head stayed in the past millennia

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I can't find a single legit study made on the long term effects of oil vs electric (in the same report) - they're both bad. I don't think electric is the solution until there's more confirmation that we can move to it without breaking the bank or making things worse.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What would happen if we just drove less? A lot less. If we consumed less of everything. Stayed put more. If there was social/government support for job trading allowing workers to work closer to home…

If we as a society actively supported simplicity over short-term money-making?
I had a great sigh of relief as I read your post . Someone else shares my exact thoughts!

Unfortunately, there are many problems about doing this, which would fill a thread completely, discussing/arguing about it.

But in a general sense yes, you are right. Greed drives the World, no matter how you look at it. Except for primitive nations, they're pretty much living how they want, but suffering the consequences on their health, just like us.

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
I wonder if the technology of the Wardenclyffe (Tesla) Tower is truly gone,
or buried because it was free energy?
Sky Cloud Building Photograph Tower

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,376 Posts
Lots of good comments as to why the electric car dogma is a crock so I won’t add anything more except to say that the cost for a crappy little electric car is idiotic. Also, Ford‘s electric F150 XLT base model is 80k US so that’s well over 100k up here plus tax.

I think the target is that you will own nothing you will go nowhere and you will be happy - but more likely you’ll just be miserable.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
8,376 Posts
How can that be?! We're in the age of 'Sunny Ways', my friend.
And you'd best be or I'll report you. View attachment 417505
Gonna end up like some Soviet era workers paradise with all the neighbours reporting each other because they don’t look happy and which is an insult to the dear leader who works so hard and only wants what is best for his subjects.. lol

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
we're treading dangerously here folks ....:rolleyes:
as much as I'd like to add fuel to the fire .... ummmmm, nah, skip it.

the powers that be state we can travel coast to coast in an EV ...
they fail to add ... "if the charging stations are operational and you time it right "
many in the TO have tried to get to cottage country , only to find the anticipated charges are off line/ broken / out of service.
cross canada in ICE is about 5-7 days .... the approximate time in an EV is closer to 20 days or more.

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
The company I work for has purchased 18 electric vehicles since October. I wasn't sure about the whole electric thing, but I've enjoyed working on them, and I've developed a whole new skill set.

One thing we learned pretty quick was that lithium batteries stop functioning at temperatures under 10C. The vehicles have a battery warmer to keep the batteries above that temperature......as long as they are plugged in. If you forget to plug in during the winter, the battery powers the battery heater. You can imagine how long that lasts. And once they are dead, the batteries have to be brought up to temperature before them can be recharged. Takes about 24 hours. They push really easily though :)

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
They push really easily though :)
I don't thinnk that works for a Tesla though. Just before the battery dies you get a warning then eventually speed drops and then when the battery dies it goes into park. I don't think you can put it in neutral with a dead battery. Maybe a safety feature so it doesn't roll down a hill with a dead battery?

·
Premium Member
16,221 Posts
  • Love
Reactions: oldjoat

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I don't thinnk that works for a Tesla though. Just before the battery dies you get a warning then eventually speed drops and then when the battery dies it goes into park. I don't think you can put it in neutral with a dead battery. Maybe a safety feature so it doesn't roll down a hill with a dead battery?
you mean like a loaded train goes into neutral and rolls downhill, wiping a town off the map, after the engine dies and the air brakes bleed down???

21 - 40 of 51 Posts