The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Younger, I was always broke and lusted on lots of thing...

Second in line after women...;) was this bass ...:rolleyes:

Ibanez Musicien 924 Bass

Got her later on when I could afford her!:cool:

What was your dream bass ?

·
Registered
345 Posts
"Gene, Gene......Ooohhh...." (Name that tune challenge) ;)

Always wanted a Rickenbacker since way back (Geddy Lee, Chris Squire and Paul McCartney). Didn't get one until RIC released the 4003S two years ago (wasn't delivered until 15 months after the deposit).

The growl and all that of the 4003S is nice, but I like my J and P-bass, too. Perhaps I should have just stuck to playing my Strat......

·
Registered
345 Posts
If I am allowed to, I would like to mention a couple of basses that really impressed me, and I would love to own:

Yamaha BB-2000/3000
Aria (forgot which model, SB-something), but it had a nice thru-neck and the pickups were great. Not much of a Duran Duran fan myself, but John Taylor played that same Aria bass at one point. The one I played back then was a blue one.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I am allowed to, I would like to mention a couple of basses that really impressed me, and I would love to own:

Yamaha BB-2000/3000
Aria (forgot which model, SB-something), but it had a nice thru-neck and the pickups were great. Not much of a Duran Duran fan myself, but John Taylor played that same Aria bass at one point. The one I played back then was a blue one.
SB-1000

·
Registered
662 Posts
Pretty much every bass that John Entwistle ever owned in his career.

Some of my more memorable favourites from his collection were: '66 slab body precision, his "fenderbirds", all of his alembics, and the buzzard bass. He had a really amazing collection.

But one I'd really love to own is a Gibson RD artist bass.

·
Premium Member
11,077 Posts
As a teenager in the '70s, I admired the typical classic rock bass players, but what I wanted was my own thing, the sound in my head. Warm thump but with pitch and tone clarity without losing treble, kind of upright bass tone but with electric sustain and playability. A P- bass would have been fine, though I dreamt also of a fretless, but what really grabbed me was a Telecaster Bass, the one with the single wide range pickup at the neck. Though I also had a nice Mustang Bass that got relegated to back-up, the Tele bass was what got me through the first few hundred gigs. It had exactly the tone I heard in my head, though it required flatwound strings to get there. Wish I still had it today.

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
I've always liked the RDs too, probably a Ric and a Jazz because of Geddy.

The Pbass always seems to be a staple in many bands, so that was a desire too.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
As a few have mentioned, one of these

upload_2017-7-11_9-51-47.jpeg

As a fan of Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, I always found them intriguing. Then I played a few and found them really hard to get a great tone from, compared to a workhorse P or Jazz. So even more props to guys like Geddy and Chris, who rock the shite out of one.

I always discovered the perennial 4001 has flatwound strings. If you want the same thing with roundwounds, you had to order a 4003.

Reactions: bolero
L

·
0 Posts
I always discovered the perennial 4001 has flatwound strings. If you want the same thing with roundwounds, you had to order a 4003.
Wouldn't a change of strings take care of that instead of buying a different bass?

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Wouldn't a change of strings take care of that instead of buying a different bass?
Yes, but if you order one from the factory, you may as well start off on the right foot.

I don't know why Rick offered the two model numbers for a such a basic and subtle change. Setup for one type of string, I suppose.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I always wanted a natural finish Quilt Spector NS2 back in the 80's-

Ended up with a Teal Korean made NS2A in the 90's, great feeling instruments. The compact, curved body fits so well (and leaves room for my gut!).

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't know why Rick offered the two model numbers for a such a basic and subtle change. Setup for one type of string, I suppose.
I'm not a Ric expert by any means, but I believe there were a few different changes between the 4001 and 4003; I think the neck profiles were different and there was something about the truss rods if I'm not mistaken. Again, I'm not an expert, but I thought I read elsewhere that there were differences in the neck construction.

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Probably. I just remember going on about 4001's and the manager at the store I worked at told me if anything, we would be stocking 4003's because that's what people really wanted.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The truss rod design on the 4003 is different from the 4001, allegedly to suit the higher tension of roundwound strings. Also, the pickups on the 4003 are the High Gain models, as opposed to the Toaster neck and Horseshoe bridge pickups on the 4001. The 4003 bridge pickup pot is a push-pull type, which allows the player to choose between a tone similar to the old Horseshoe pickup or a deeper modern tone.

Compared to a 4001, the position of the 4003 neck pickup is slightly further away from the fingerboard. I think I had read from somewhere that it was done for structural reasons.

There are also some cosmetic changes such as the headstock size, etc.

At the time of the introduction of the 4003, RIC still had a substantial back order of the 4001 waiting to be fulfilled. Perhaps they assigned a new model number for inventory or accounting purposes. And it probably would not be a bad idea to market the new truss rod design by saying stuff like, "4001 is for flats, while the 4003 is good for either because it has a reinforced truss rod system".

·
Registered
11,957 Posts
Ended up with a Teal Korean made NS2A in the 90's, great feeling instruments. The compact, curved body fits so well (and leaves room for my gut!).
I may have a similar bass, mine is from the '80s though and I think that it's Czech made.
I'll get some pics of it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I may have a similar bass, mine is from the '80s though and I think that it's Czech made.
I'll get some pics of it.
The Czech stuff is post Kramer era- so early 90's more than likely. The Czech built Spectors are generally a step up quality wise from the Korean made although the Kramer era Korean is better than the post Kramer Korean stuff (different factories). The one I had was a Kramer era and played really nice. Eventually the guy I bought it from tracked me down and asked if he could buy it back- at that point I wasn't using it much and he really wanted it back so I sold it back for what I paid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts