The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
My first pedal was a Ross Compressor... I play bass so this was the obvious pick ! Still have it, still use it , and will never let it go ! ;)

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
Crybaby bought at a store in Markham back in about 1973. Last seen in about 1998 when my mom was using it to hold the kitchen door open. Might still have it in a box somewhere; need to have a look some day.

·
Premium Member
4,186 Posts
Mine was a Denzo Distortion which was DS1 Clone, I got it in '89. It's the 2nd pedal from the right in the front row. This pedalboard was also the first one I had which I used in the 90s and early 2000's.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Mine was a Denzo Distortion which was DS1 Clone, I got it in '89. It's the 2nd pedal from the right in the front row. This pedalboard was also the first one I had which I used in the 90s and early 2000's.

Think I also had an OS-2, bought it at Kitt's Music in Ville St. Laurent (north end of Montreal) 20+ years ago. That was a cool little store, always enjoyed going in there.

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
My first pedal was a Roland fuzz wah. Hey, two pedals for the price of one, how can you go wrong. But it wasn't very good at either. Traded somewhere along the way.

View attachment 125089
The Double Beat is a terrific fuzz. I've built two clones of it. The stock has a 3-position switch that lets you filter the fuzz in three different ways (it does NOT produce the waveforms shown). I extended mine to include 3 additional distinct filters, since I had 3 positions left on the rotary switch.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
It was a crybaby i got for xmas in about '92 or '93

·
Registered
393 Posts
Mine was an Ibanez Mostortion. The main reason I bought it was because one of the guitar magazines had a "You Can Win Steve Vai's Rig" contest and that was the pedal they were including. I was a huge fan of his at the time and the pedal was the only thing I could afford in the rig, so I bought that. I don't think I ever saw him using one though (LOL).

I was a really good sounding pedal but I ended up selling it when I started my 'everything must be true bypass' phase. In hindsight I should have just had it rehoused and had the switch changed out (I've seen a few that have had that mod, so it is possible). They're a bit of a hidden gem, and a few Nashville guitarists use and speak highly of them. I sold mine a couple of years ago for $100, but they go for over $300 now. Ooops...

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
My first pedal was a Roland Bee Baa that I purchased in the summer of '76.

That was followed shortly thereafter by a phase shifter and a wah pedal. I don't recall the make of the phase shifter other than it was blue, the wah was likely a Dunlop. The phase shifter and wah were traded for something a year or so later.

The Bee Baa was not working and I had it in storage until a few years ago when it finally went to recycling ...:rolleyes:

(Not my picture)

Roland Bee Baa 2.png

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
Mine was an Ibanez Mostortion. The main reason I bought it was because one of the guitar magazines had a "You Can Win Steve Vai's Rig" contest and that was the pedal they were including. I was a huge fan of his at the time and the pedal was the only thing I could afford in the rig, so I bought that. I don't think I ever saw him using one though (LOL).

I was a really good sounding pedal but I ended up selling it when I started my 'everything must be true bypass' phase. In hindsight I should have just had it rehoused and had the switch changed out (I've seen a few that have had that mod, so it is possible). They're a bit of a hidden gem, and a few Nashville guitarists use and speak highly of them. I sold mine a couple of years ago for $100, but they go for over $300 now. Ooops...

I recall Lee Roy Parnell spoke quite highly of it. I purchased materials to make myself a clone, but it fell to the bottom of the stack. Maybe I should move it up the stack a bit. Its main distinctive characteristic is use of an op-amp chip that few, if any, other overdrives use, a CA3260 dual op-amp. I've seen the single op-amp version (CA3140) used in some things, but never the 3260.

·
Registered
24,363 Posts
My first pedal was a Roland Bee Baa that I purchased in the summer of '76.

That was followed shortly thereafter by a phase shifter and a wah pedal. I don't recall the make of the phase shifter other than it was blue, the wah was likely a Dunlop. The phase shifter and wah were traded for something a year or so later.

The Bee Baa was not working and I had it in storage until a few years ago when it finally went to recycling ...:rolleyes:

(Not my picture)

View attachment 125449
Interesting, isn't it, just how many Roland/Boss pedals during the early/mid 70's had multiple stompswitches to select different performance features, decades before m multiple stomps started coming back on all those boutique pedals. It's like we wandered in the desert for 30 years, labouring under a single stompswitch, before someone thought "Well, it doesn't HAVE to be one switch, does it?".

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Interesting, isn't it, just how many Roland/Boss pedals during the early/mid 70's had multiple stompswitches to select different performance features, decades before m multiple stomps started coming back on all those boutique pedals. It's like we wandered in the desert for 30 years, labouring under a single stompswitch, before someone thought "Well, it doesn't HAVE to be one switch, does it?".
And that flexibility of this pedal was why I bought it. Two cool fuzz tones and a treble booster in one box!
I used it for 10 years before I was motivated to buy another distortion pedal

·
Premium Member
10,935 Posts
We're talking about the dark ages of my life here so details will be sketchy at best.

My first pedal was a Bellone's passive volume, circa 1977. I played a lot of lap steel as well as regular electric guitar and the volume pedal was great for swells as well as a general kill when I switched to something else. John Bellone Music is a shop in London Ontario that marketed a few products under its own name. I still use a passive volume pedal, though it's an Ernie Ball nowadays. My first experience of volume pedals came with messing around with church organs.

After that I don't remember the sequence of purchases but early on I had an A/B box, phaser, and a malfunctioning distortion. EQ figured into my tone but I can't remember my first EQ pedal. My bandmates and jammates passed around pedals a lot when I was young, so I'm not entirely clear on what all I actually owned and what was borrowed,

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
The Double Beat is a terrific fuzz. I've built two clones of it. The stock has a 3-position switch that lets you filter the fuzz in three different ways (it does NOT produce the waveforms shown). I extended mine to include 3 additional distinct filters, since I had 3 positions left on the rotary switch.
Now you tell me! LOL

It was traded or lost so long ago, I can't recall. I didn't really use it as a fuzz, more as a distortion pedal, which it seemed to be OK at. But I've never seen any love for one, like I do for a few other famous fuzzes, so I just assumed it was a member of that big 'fx failed to reach iconic status' club. I recall the wah never did it for me, though. To this day, I'm still not much of a wah-guy. Perhaps if I started with a Vox ..............

81 - 96 of 96 Posts