The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember well - a friend had brought the Electro-Harmonix flyer to school that he'd ordered from the back of a magazine in '77. After considering all the options carefully, I opted for the Big Muff Pi, $39.99 + postage. Only took about 2 wks to receive it, including postage there/back (Cda Post was more efficient in those days!).

I was dazzled by that shiny thing, but it seemed to steer the material I was learning/playing a bit as I wanted to incorporate it somehow into every song, probably why my bandmates at the time didn't dig it as much as I did (chuckle).

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I think it was a big muff because I loved jack white fuzz tones.

or maybe an OCD? I don't recall.

·
Premium Member
8,573 Posts
I have no idea - I know it was some sort of fuzz/distortion pedal, and I know it sounded good, but it was almost 35 years ago and I stopped playing for 12-14 years shortly afterwards :(

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
My parents bought me an ibanez pt-5 to take my mind off the fact I had fried my mind.

It was super nice of them. I loved it at the time (even though I couldn't really use it), but it was pretty poor quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought a Korg A5 multi fx that I still regret selling (unbelievable plate reverb sounds) and an Ibanez OT-10 octave box. Just traded the octave recently. Only stomped on it a couple times a year so I couldn't justify keeping it but man it was cool!

·
Registered
11,187 Posts
Ibanez AD-80 and a Boss SD-1, didn't even own an electric so I put a spring loaded pickup in my acoustic. The SD didn't last but I held on to the AD until a couple of years ago, sold it and bought it back in a short span basically. Pretty much why I'm all about delay in everything I play.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
pedal was a Boss distortion thingy that when you held the footswitch down, would sustain the note indefinitely. Wasn't what I expected, I just wanted more sustain across the board, not an artificial sounding single tone.
EDIT: The guys below had the same one- Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion DF-2.
Didn't really work for me, but could have been my crappy Traynor SS amp or just my bad ears at the time ;)

Then I saved up what seemed like a ton of money in the late 80's (about $1200) and got a Roland GP-8 rack mount multi-fx with footswitch. Still have them, but never use them.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it was my Boss DS-1 distortion pedal that I probably bought around 1980. I bought it at Cosmo Music when it was on Yonge Street. Still have and use it.
It just occurred to me that you can buy a DS-1 for less money now than it cost in 1980. I think they run about $60 now and I'm pretty sure I paid about $100!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Unbranded Ibanez Fuzz Machine. Bought for $79.00 in 1975, sold to Southside Music in Brooklyn on ebay for $475.00 c/w original box. It was the worst fuzz I have ever heard.

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
The first pedal I ever owned was a Boss Super Feedbacker and Distortion DF-2. It sounded horrible. HAHA
Maybe to you. LOL But I liked the distortion on that pedal more than the DS-1. I quickly ditched my DS-1 when I got one of those and I actually still have my DF-2. I use to run it through a Fender The Twin. Then in 2006 I got into the boutique thing and replaced it with a Radial Tonebone Classic. Never used the feedbacker function though.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts