The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Depending on how you define boutique, either a Tonebone Hot British (which I sold) or a Diamond Compressor (which I still have).

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
...someone designs their products and it's built off shore in a factory. The difference is: you can name the person who designed your RT overdrive whereas most can't name the people who designed the TS-9 or the CS-9. But I'll bet someone like Mark Hammer knows so that makes naming the person who designed the pedal a tough measure of "boutique"...
I know the TS was designed by Mr. S. Tamura (never been able to find out what his given name is though...). Still wouldn't call it boutique though. (Or the DC2, regardless of how much I love that pedal...although mine's just been replaced by a boutique clone :)

Good points all though. That's what I love/hate about subjective terms like this anyway. It's all fuzzy logic. My wife is an artist, so I have a predilection for things that are handmade by real people with a passion for what they're making...that's the mojo for me I guess.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You want boutique? How about a hand built distortion pedal, by a senior high school student with some scrounged and some store bought parts including the electrical junction box for a case. He may have etched the circuit board too, I forget. Sounds very, very good.

I love it when students and former students of mine do cool things like this. No credit to me, all I do are the guitar lessons, they get involved with the side projects on their own. Another former student is a fulltime builder of acoustic guitars, and several have given me their recordings. All I do is encourage.

My other pedals? Factory stuff from Marshall, Boss, MXR, Seymour Duncan, Planet Waves, BBE, DOD, Radial, Dunlop. Nothing unusual.

Peace, Mooh.
That guy sounds familiar. He did etch the circuit board, but as he looks back he realizes how far he has come with regards to his etching abilities.

Without somebody to inspire and give tips towards it, it probably would have turned out completely hackneyed. Now that I've done one, I can't stop. ><

·
Registered
14,585 Posts
The only pedals I have that could be considered boutique are two I won on this forum.
the first one was a Strymon Brigadier Delay

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
A Timmy and a VFE Enterprise phaser

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
I’m not sure I’ve ever owned a pedal people consider “boutique”.

I’ve always managed to get the tones I wanted with whatever gear I had (or bought what I felt I needed at least).

But, if any of that was so “boutique” why don’t I still own it?

·
Registered
24,379 Posts
As some here have pointed out, what can start as a small one or two-person "company", and qualifies as boutique for that reason alone, can easily turn into a larger company, with a dozen or more employees, and substantial sales numbers. Once upon a time, ZVex, Fulltone, Earthquaker Devices, Catalinbread, Empress, and Diamond were small operations and qualified as boutique. Not so anymore. They're obviously not the size of Yamaha, Electro-Harmonix, Boss/Roland, or a wholly-owned subsidiary of Harmon Industries, but neither are they cottage industries.

To some extent, the emergence of services that will do PCB layout/production for you, wave soldering of SMD components, and powder-coating/silkscreening of enclosures, has made it possible for even fairly small producers to turn out professional-grade products, blurring the difference between boutique and "commercial" manufacturers. Once upon a time, Zachary Vex produced Super Hard-On and Fuzz Factory circuits on veroboard, and each pedal was hand-painted by Jason Myrold. That sort of approach epitomizes a traditional notion of "boutique", equivalent to a hand-knitted toque or scarf, or hand-made guitar with special inlay. But these days, even a guy operating out of his dorm room, can send boards off to be professionally etched, drilled, legended, and wave-soldred in Southeast Asia, for peanuts.

Of course, none of that means that there aren't new small manufacturers producing innovative and distinctive products. You just can't easily tell them apart from the big companies any more on the basis of looks or build quality, or whether they have Youtube product demos posted.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Wampler Pantheon. Its a lot of fun but I have got that out of my system. Best suitable for a one channel amp . Two channel amp I could dial in suitable gain with the OD channel.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
First was a lovepedal eternity burst handwired but Shawn himself that was many moons ago when there was fulltone, Keeley, analogman,mostly

21 - 40 of 43 Posts