The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

What Tuning Do You Use Most?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally jump from standard to down 1/2 step to drop D depending on what Song(s) I want to play.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Why not just use whole step down all of the time, and a capo to catch the other two? You'd be able to set up the guitar definitively with the ideal gauge for whole step down tuning, and have the intonation as good as possible. To my ears, with a given gauge of strings, the intonation will not be ideal across multiple tunings.

When capo'd on the 2nd fret, you'd enjoy the advantages of a short scale instrument.
I've got a capo but I just prefer grabbin' another guitar. The way I see it there's no point having more then 1 if I'm not going to use them you know? I'm not into just leavin' them sit there and get dusty... put 'em all to work.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have 2 guitars, one is tuned 1/2 a step down and the other is drop B (C# standard).

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I've got a capo but I just prefer grabbin' another guitar. The way I see it there's no point having more then 1 if I'm not going to use them you know? I'm not into just leavin' them sit there and get dusty... put 'em all to work.
+1 Me too. I keep one 1/2 step and one standard and my 3rd I'll use for open tunings (when I'm not feeling lazy) if I feel like playing a little Zep.... :smile:

·
Premium Member
11,426 Posts
Before I started teaching guitar there would be only one tuned to standard, one tuned to open G, and the others tuned a semi-tone down. My vocal range is low so I like to tune down. I might have been conditioned to a lower tuning anway because the family piano when I was growing up was tuned a semi-tone low. But, to my ears, many guitars sound better tuned lower.

These days most of my guitars are tuned to standard, except one or two in open G, DADGAD, or something related. The exception is the 27" scale baritone which is always at least two semi-tones lower (with medium strings) or three semi-tones lower (with heavy strings), and is often in some other strange tuning.

As for capos, I don't like spring types because they often clamp too tight. The adjustability of Shubb, Planet Waves NS, Victor, etc work better for me, though I have a couple of Kysers cut down for "virtual tunings". Planet Waves has a new spring/adjustable one ready for market (though I've had trouble getting one) which is supposed to let you set it then easily spring it on and off.

The trouble with tuning down is getting the rest of the world to do it, LOL! I always end up tuning up to it.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Premium Member
18,430 Posts
Probably 8 or 9 out of ten songs I play in standard tuning.

I use drop D for a few tunes and a couple of variations of open G for slide and instrumental tunes.

The band plays in standard A 440.

I suppose it depends on the repertoire but dropping the pitch of the whole band by a half or whole step does things to the sound of the guitars that I don't really care for.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
I use standard tuning the most. But as I play a lot of slide.....open G, open E, E6 (lap steel), open D, open C are all tunings that I may use on any given occasion, depending on the song. Then there is DADGAD which I use for one song in my band and two tunes in dropped D. Then there is a tuning that is a whole step down but "standard". So when I add up a set list, I play in standard tuning about 40% of the time. The rest of the time is distributed amongst the others.
At home, it's generally standard unless I'm specifically motivated to play in another.
Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
56 Posts
i use half down tuning live, cause it sounds better and easier to bend. I've been looking into Buzz Feiten Tuning System, which solves tuning and intonation problems.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I use standard mostly on main guitar,Eb on another and drop the D down when I want it, other guitars are in standard as well

·
Registered
324 Posts
My band tunes a 1/2 step down... but I usually leave one guitar/bass tuned to standard and one tuned a 1/2 step down then drop tune when i need to.

·
Premium Member
1,432 Posts
I picked standard because i mainly use that. But i've been doing some stoner metal type stuff (Kyuss, The Sword, etc...) in open-G into a Big Muff and it is unbelievable.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My Strat is a Eb and my Jaguar I use both Eb and E.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I mostly play in 1 step down tuning (D). Other tunings I play in are Drop-B, Drop-C, 1/2 step down, and of course standard. I have a guitar for each tuning hehehe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts