The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a donor Tele I'd like to mod with a wide range humbucker in the neck; Lollar, Novak, Tolerator, etc. It will be something along those lines. What would be a good match for it in terms of a traditional Tele bridge?

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I have a donor Tele I'd like to mod with a wide range humbucker in the neck; Lollar, Novak, Tolerator, etc. It will be something along those lines. What would be a good match for it in terms of a traditional Tele bridge?
I'd go fender broadcaster or nocaster bridge pickup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
An old Fender lapsteel pickup can be nice.

I wonder what Lollar's advice would be on the subject.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
An old Fender lapsteel pickup can be nice.

I wonder what Lollar's advice would be on the subject.
The posting on his site recommendeds the '52 T Series bridge. I emailed him yesterday asking a few questions including what to pair together. I'll post when I hear back.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm currently pairing a Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue in the bridge with my original WRHB. Its a pretty good match-up!

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got this back from Lollar today....

If you choose the Standard Wind Regal you’ll want at least the Vintage T to match the output because the Regal is one of our hottest pickups. Next would be our Special T pickup which is the most popular pairing with the Regal. The Special would be more towards a rock Tele sound like Keith Richards or Billy Gibbons, and our Vintage T will be closer to a great traditional vintage Telecaster pickup.

The 52 and Alnico 3 will be better paired with the Low Wind Regal in the neck position.

·
Premium Member
25,352 Posts
Jason's a sweet guy, isn't he? I've always found him to be both helpful and generous on the pickup-makers forum.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What kind of sound are you looking for with this Tele? (not that I have a clue how you'd achieve said sound but I just want to be part of the convo) :)

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What kind of sound are you looking for with this Tele? (not that I have a clue how you'd achieve said sound but I just want to be part of the convo) :)
I'm looking for a fatter Tele sound, something that can do more than single coils but still have some hints of single coil chime and twang. I'm slowly moving back to making humbuckers work for me in my setup, the wide range seem to be fitting the bill. In my limited bucker experience I have often preferred the low wind output.

·
Premium Member
25,352 Posts
One wonders if the solution to your desired bridge sound is to be found not in the pickup itself (or rather, not exclusively in the pickup) but in the composition, and maybe even thickness, of the bottom plate under the bridge pickup. Part of what provides the distinctive sound of a Tele bridge PU is the manner in which the overall bridge plate and the plate under the pickup function. I've held to the bias that one of the things that make gold-foils sound as sweet as they do is the soft iron used for the conductive plate under the coil. Loading down a coil with more iron purportedly increases its inductance, without requiring more turns on the coil to do so. Conceivably a different sort of bottom plate on a Tele bridge might do the same thing. It'd be a bloody nuisance to test out, but it wouldn't cost much.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I'll stick to just simple pickup swapping and new configurations. The rest is overthinking it and I'm no tone scientist,,. I just want an excuse to own more guitars.

·
Registered
12,429 Posts
maybe you need one of those zakk wylde pick ups and 3 boss metal zones. there would be an un-traditional tele sound

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you need one of those zakk wylde pick ups and 3 boss metal zones. there would be an un-traditional tele sound
That does sound pretty awesome,,.. yea,.... maybe a bit far though?

I wonder if adding a fourth metal zone into the signal chain would tame it a little bit?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just have to post my appreciation for good pickups.

Last week a Lollar Regal wide range humbucker showed up on Kijiji, just the neck. I picked it up and installed it in my 72 Thinline last night. It sounds so much better than stock and when compared with the bridge, which is still original, it makes it sound like it has a thin lo-fi sound to it. I don't mind the insignia as much as I thought I would and realized I could swap the original Fender covers with the Lollars if I wanted to. Now to track down a matching Lollar bridge....

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
The RI WRHBs are nothing like the originals, glad the Lollar is working out for you (he's closer to the vintage spec vs. Fender).

FWIW I once had (and stupidly traded) a very sweet CS Esquire that I dropped a converted early 50s lap steel pickup into. It was only 6k but sounded like Roy Buchanan. The stock pickup was a Duncan BG-1400, but the lap steel pup at <1/2 the output sounded bigger, don't let the numbers fool ya.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The RI WRHBs are nothing like the originals, glad the Lollar is working out for you (he's closer to the vintage spec vs. Fender).

FWIW I once had (and stupidly traded) a very sweet CS Esquire that I dropped a converted early 50s lap steel pickup into. It was only 6k but sounded like Roy Buchanan. The stock pickup was a Duncan BG-1400, but the lap steel pup at <1/2 the output sounded bigger, don't let the numbers fool ya.
I knew the RI wide range were just messy humbuckers, something about being wrapped in packing and wax, so I was looking for aftermarket replacements and couldn't decide on which. The price and availability of this Lollar made it an easy decision in the end. I have a reclaimed LTD Redwood Tele that has a new WR based pickup in the neck that I need to compare with this one.

Funny thing, I have a 1400 in another Tele that I've paired with a Firebird neck pickup and it sounds awesome. Been a keeper so far, good pickup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts