The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I will be in Calgary for a wedding the weekend of July 29th. It'll be our first visit to Calgary.

We'll be staying downtown at Hotel Arts. We plan to have free time on Saturday morning. Maybe only a few hours.

What should we do? what is a "can't miss"? (preferably within walking distance)

can you recommend a good breakfast place? as that will surely be our 1st stop.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
For starters, breakfast at the hotel restaurant is very good. Stayed there for my brother's wedding a few years ago and enjoyed the hotel very much.

I'm no help for other suggestions though.

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this local music based attraction during a visit to Calgary in late June of this year.

It certainly appears VERY impressive!

studiobell

I'm not sure how far it is from where you are staying or how much time it would take to "take it in" to any reasonable extent.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing this local music based attraction during a visit to Calgary in late June of this year.

It certainly appears VERY impressive!

studiobell

I'm not sure how far it is from where you are staying or how much time it would take to "take it in" to any reasonable extent.
It shouldn't be that far--especially if the weather is nice--but check the hours...

·
Premium Member
17,335 Posts
Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre
Amplifying the love, sharing, and understanding of music.

Studio Bell:
850 4 Street SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1R1

NMC Office:
300—851 4 Street SE
Calgary, AB T2G 1P2
More Information

Hours of Operation:
Wednesday to Sunday
10:00 am – 5:00 pm

T 403.543.5115
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
"The Beltliner" is a good breakfast place and only one block west of Hotel Arts. If you are okay to drive 5 min, OEB Breakfast on Edmonton Trail is my favourite, and you can use the NoWait app to get in line before you get there.

For a snack later, check out Jelly Modern Doughnuts. (Lemon Curd and Maple Bacon are so good!)

If you're looking/able to check out guitar stuff, Freteleven Pro Guitar shop is within walking distance and has some cool high-end stuff.

Other than that, I'd suggest skipping any other non-wedding plans for the weekend and heading to the mountains. :)

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
I like the mountains--but could be busy on Saturday if the weather's nice--maybe check out Highway 40--instead of out the TransCanada all the way (Since the 40 doesn't go all the way to Calgary--you'd need to get there..)
But you may not have enough time for that

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As a local, Im avoiding the local rockies like the plague this summer. With free entrance to the national parks, the lineups and traffic is absolutely insane. It really ruins it.

We went for a quick walk with the baby around Elbow Falls and Bragg Creek, and there were easily 300 people climbing and crawling all over the place, it was pathetic and sad to see. Not to mention armed with all the hiking clothes, packs and poles for a 3 km paved walk. Selfie city. Gotta get likes on facebook I guess.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
As a local, Im avoiding the local rockies like the plague this summer. With free entrance to the national parks, the lineups and traffic is absolutely insane. It really ruins it.

We went for a quick walk with the baby around Elbow Falls and Bragg Creek, and there were easily 300 people climbing and crawling all over the place, it was pathetic and sad to see. Not to mention armed with all the hiking clothes, packs and poles for a 3 km paved walk. Selfie city. Gotta get likes on facebook I guess.
That can be a problem--one of the reasons I suggested Highway 40--less traffic, fewer people--not part of a National Park, etc.
Although all mountain stuff could be worse this year.

·
Registered
546 Posts
From Hotel Arts, you can check out the Lougheed House, everyone I know that has been thought is was cool. I'd hit the Bell (or whatever) music museum...was an amazing place in its old locale...can hardly imagine how cool it is now. Deane House restaurant by Fort Calgary is supposed to be very good...pricey enough I haven't been, but sure smells damn good...

Reactions: scotth and zontar

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
Absolutely go to National Music Centre. Aside from being one of the most fantastic architectural masterpieces in modern times, it houses probably the most important collection of musical instruments in the world (only a small portion of their collection is on display). It's an easy walk from Hotel Arts. Tons of cool stuff to see, from Randy Bachman's 59 Les Paul to Corey Hart's sunglasses, the legendary "TONTO", the Rolling Stones mobile recording unit, Deadmaus' giant eared plastic head, Elton John's white piano that he composed most of his hits on, etc. Amazing vintage synthesizers and oddball stuff. Try to time your visit when the are doing a demo of the Kimball Theatre Organ. It will blow your mind.

Not sure about breakfast (Hotel Arts has a great chef so you may not have to go far). Try Naina's Kitchen for lunch if you like burgers, also in the neighbourhood.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Definitely check out NMC.

I was at Briggs for Mother's Day brunch and it was quite delicious. Reasonably priced as well.

That weekend is folk fest, so there might be some free entertainment outside the gates down in the Eau Claire area. Might be some stuff to check out in the East Village as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts