The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in NYC for a few nights. Any recommendations of what to do? Any must see music shops, venues, places to eat/drink etc?

TG

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
If I was going to NYC and I could schedule it, I would attend a taping of SNL. Just to hear what Jared Scharff is playing in those commercial breaks. Great tone and chops. And (just about) a different guitar every week.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
If I was going to NYC and I could schedule it, I would attend a taping of SNL. Just to hear what Jared Scharff is playing in those commercial breaks. Great tone and chops. And (just about) a different guitar every week.
It's real hard to get tix to tv show tapings...often has to be done months in advance.
I tried this years ago when I went to NYC.
And a lot of shows you'd think were in NY, actually aren't....king of Queens for example, is what I wanted tix for but turns out it was shot in LA. Ended up getting tix for a short lived daytime talk show hosted by John Walsh, in the vein of Jerry Springer. It ended up being a waste of vacation time because 1 hr of tv time is more like 4 hrs of studio time.

Op, do the usual stuff...battery park, wall st, Times Square, Central Park, there's a few john Lennon sites in NYC like the Dakota, little Italy, the towers memorial, ferry around Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, and check yelp for some restaurant recommends. Maybe a Rangers game at MSG. NYC is way better in the summer, tbh.

Reactions: leftysg

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
It's real hard to get tix to tv show tapings...often has to be done months in advance.
I tried this years ago when I went to NYC.
I didn't realize that. I guess it's not a last minute thing. LOL Good to know in case I ever do make the trek.

And a lot of shows you'd think were in NY, actually aren't....king of Queens for example, is what I wanted tix for but turns out it was shot in LA. Ended up getting tix for a short lived daytime talk show hosted by John Walsh, in the vein of Jerry Springer. It ended up being a waste of vacation time because 1 hr of tv time is more like 4 hrs of studio time.
That wouldn't be the case for SNL though. It is broadcast live at 11:30 EST. They will occasionally punch in a few things for the west coast rebroadcast (removing a few F-bombs, etc) but the original show is done in 90 minutes, warts and all. I like that aspect of it.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
I didn't realize that. I guess it's not a last minute thing. LOL Good to know in case I ever do make the trek.

That wouldn't be the case for SNL though. It is broadcast live at 11:30 EST. They will occasionally punch in a few things for the west coast rebroadcast (removing a few F-bombs, etc) but the original show is done in 90 minutes, warts and all. I like that aspect of it.
Oh for sure.... but SNL is the crown jewel of tv audience opportunities in NYC, or even all of America. Tix won't be easy, so I would get that out of your head. ;)
I Queued For 13 Hours To Get Tickets To "Saturday Night Live" And This Is What Happened

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Artichoke Basille’s Pizza; 328 E. 14th St. and locations throughout Manhattan; 212-228-2004

Supposedly the best slice in NYC according to the New York Post and Norman Reedus.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You could do standby but it sounds nasty.

The Saturday Night Live ticket lottery for the 2017-2018 season runs from August 1st to August 31st. Do you consider yourself one of our biggest fans?! To enter the lottery send an email to [email protected]. Please tell us why YOU would like to be a part of our studio audience. If you are selected you will receive two tickets to a random show date and time. You may only send one email per household and all audience members must be at least 16 years of age. Please note that entering the lottery does not guarantee tickets and you will only be notified in the event that you are chosen.

Stand-by tickets are distributed at 7am on the 48th street side of 30 Rockefeller Plaza on the mornings of a show. You may choose a stand-by ticket for either the 8pm dress rehearsal or the 11:30pm live broadcast. Aside from minimal, necessary breaks, all stand-by line members must remain in line at all times. Stand-by tickets are limited to one per person and are issued on a first-come, first-served basis. Every member of the line is required to present a valid photo ID when the ticket is issued, as well as at the return time. Please note that all tickets are non-transferrable and non-exchangeable. NBC staff reserves the right to revoke or not issue any ticket to anyone in line if proper procedures are not followed. Please arrive no later than 7:15pm for the dress rehearsal or 10:45pm for the live show. A stand-by ticket does not guarantee admission and no one under the age of 16 will be admitted.

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
NYC? It's a shitty little town with a coupla bars, a coupla boring eateries, a coupla local bands, and they roll up the sidewalks around 8PM. Not really much action of any type. Avoid it if you can. :D:rolleyes:

IF you should be near 30 Rock, the Lego Store across the rink from it is pretty impressive.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
We spent a week in Aug. If you’re into art and culture, The Met. We spent best part of a day there and saw about half.

Walked through Central Park to get there. Though we didn’t see any one thing that blew our minds in the park, it was still worth the 45-60 minutes.

We did the Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center, includes a small tour). if you want to see the city and skyline from about 80 floors up, there are good views in all directions.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips guys. We are not there on a Saturday so SNL isn't possible even though it's basically impossible anyway!

So far we are going to hit the MOMA, hit a play (not my idea!), and are debating between going to the symphony or a jazz club. I much prefer jazz, but I would really like to hear a full orchestra in a proper hall and this is a great opportunity. The sheer power of that sound is something I have always wanted to experience in person.

Pizza is a must! We will definitely check into the recommendation above. I will check out the 55 bar and see if it is close by. I've looked into the iconic jazz clubs but we either cannot get in or you really need to commit to a full evening (or else crap seat); my wife isn't a huge jazz person but she'll go for the experience, but losing a full evening/night is asking too much.

We are staying in the heart of midtown so there is tons of stuff around.

TG

·
Premium Member
25,139 Posts
The Museum of Natural History is pretty dang impressive. Just down the street is the Dakota, where Lennon lived and was killed. Across the street from there is Strawberry Fields, in Central Park.

I made a point of taking the subway to Coney Island, although in the midst of this cold snap I can't imagine that a stroll along the ocean front would be enjoyable.

Our nephew works for RBC in Manhattan, and lives in the west Village. He was telling us the other day that "big names" often show up unannounced to try out new material in the comedy clubs near him. He was recounting an unexpected appearance by Dave Chapelle that went for well over an hour, and others by Chris Rock, and similar.

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
We did the MOMA as well as The Met. The MOMA was certainly interesting (well, a lot of it was a little obscure for my taste), but the Met is 1000 time more and better.

We went to School of Rock on Broadway, can recommend.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The Evolution Store, 687 Broadway - very interesting, like a museum, where everything is for sale, even human skeletons (permit required to buy one of those). Fossils, meteorites, stuffed wildlife, rocks, insects, everything old, exotic, and/or rare. It’s a short walk to/from Rudy’s Guitars. Also, Ground Zero is a well done BIG self-guided indoor tour/museum of the remains of the towers. A lot of information available to read, see - pics and remains. I spent seven hours there because I read Everything, but one could get through it in a couple of hours if only scanning the pictures and essentials. Also, the monument that was made of the footprint of the towers is impressive in daylight and dark. HTH

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I would make a trip to Rudy's and order a black cow

Rudy's:

627 9th Ave, New York, NY 10036, USA

Reactions: mario

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
100% grab a travel book (like frommer's or something) that lists everythign to do there and pick while you're on the plane. It helps you know where the cool stuff is...

The "Best Bagel in NYC" was $0.99 when we went. You won't believe how good it is.

We went to some really old bar by the "five Points" that The Strokes hang out at when they're in town,

Mezzaluna for Lunch. It's across from one of the museums.

In case anyone wants to go to SNL in the future: My sister just got back before x-mas some time and got in to SNL. You can hire hobos to wait in line for you. The band was U2 and Alec Baldwin was there. She said it was pretty good. It's not really my thing.

So, to sum up, buy the book.

Oh, and those hot dogs that Kramer would buy from the Papaya Hut are absolute shit.

·
Premium Member
10,446 Posts
Oh, and those hot dogs that Kramer would buy from the Papaya Hut are absolute shit.
I liked em.... but regional faves like that never live up to the hype... beignets in NOLA, Chicago deep dish pizza, philly cheese steaks with cheese wiz on them in Philly, crepes in Paris, etc all fun to try once, but can't say I'd care to have them again. it's the context that makes them great, not the food.
Edit: I may have went to a different t place than you, I went to Grays Papaya.
It reminded me of this little snack bar that was in the basement of the old Simpsons in downtown Toronto when I was a wee lad, that sold hot dogs (they called them "red hots" with this orange drink that was like a cross between an orange Julius and Tang. They didn't sell anything else.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts