The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I was trying out a ProCo RAT 2, and the guitar I played through it was a Jackson guitar with a Floyd Rose. At first, I was able to get it into perfect tune, so I did a divebomb. After the divebomb, the guitar went out of tune, which doesn't happen to me usually with a Floyd Rose. I tried tuning it, but the G string got to a point where it was still way to sharp and, and the fine tuner couldn't go lower in pitch anymore. What would be the best thing to do next time this happens, and is there any way to deal with it at a live show?

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I tend to yank up to stretch the strings unclamp and tune using tuning heads. The bridge tuners I try to keep in the centre and lock the nut doing two at a time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
When changing strings on a Floyd, unless I am doing other work, I do one string at a time. Each new string is tuned a bit sharp, the pulled up from the guitar up and down the neck and body, then retuned.

I also leave a bit of extra string around the tuners on the higher strings. They usually break near the bridge, so I can just roll out a length of string when I need it, and get back to my wild whammying.

·
Premium Member
17,236 Posts
a
The other day, I was trying out a ProCo RAT 2, and the guitar I played through it was a Jackson guitar with a Floyd Rose. At first, I was able to get it into perfect tune, so I did a divebomb. After the divebomb, the guitar went out of tune, which doesn't happen to me usually with a Floyd Rose. I tried tuning it, but the G string got to a point where it was still way to sharp and, and the fine tuner couldn't go lower in pitch anymore. What would be the best thing to do next time this happens, and is there any way to deal with it at a live show?
gtrguy correctly explained how to fix the problem. You’ve run out of travel on the fine tuner and need to center it.

The way to avoid that is to center all of your fine tuners when you replace the strings.

If you do that, the chances of running out of travel are pretty slim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts