The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
More and more I'm movin to heavy gauge for my electrics... that's 11s. But with my acoustics, it's whatever they're max spec'ed to - for example, my '92 Washburn Festival Series gets lights as it's a slimline cutaway acoustic and it just doesn't have the structural strength to take heavier stuff.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Are you asking me, David? In the case of the Washburn, I honestly don't know what the actual string guages are, as I got it back from a setup at the 12th Fret last month and I didn't pay attention to that detail.

I guess in the case of my electrics, I guess 11 for the high E constitutes a medium-heavy guage.

·
Registered
485 Posts
For acoustics, mediums usually mean 13's and 12's are referred to as lights.

I've typically used mediums because they have the 'oomph factor', but they sure wreak havoc on the neck! The last couple sets I've used have been lights. I'm getting used to them.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Just trying out some DR "Rare" acoustic strings 11-50. Impressed with their tone, considering their thinness... The guitar in question is in open-E.

I'll be getting the 12-54 set if see them.

Totally diggin' the DR's though. Only have an hour or two of serious playing on them, so we'll see how they hold up - but very nice so far. I've used their electric strings off and on for a few years now, but this is my first venture into their acoustics.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I play 12-54s

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just trying out some DR "Rare" acoustic strings 11-50. Impressed with their tone, considering their thinness... The guitar in question is in open-E.

I'll be getting the 12-54 set if see them.

Totally diggin' the DR's though. Only have an hour or two of serious playing on them, so we'll see how they hold up - but very nice so far. I've used their electric strings off and on for a few years now, but this is my first venture into their acoustics.
..steve's music carries them. as far as i know, steve's music is the only store that carries acoustic strings that have a coating on all six strings (DR).

those are the ones i use: 12-54.

i have to say that there is an incredible degree of misinformation and ignorance regarded coated strings.

i have not yet met even one salesperson at any music store in the gta that has even a vague notion of which brands are fully coated and which brands are partially coated. not one.

-dh

·
Registered
161 Posts
I was using lights on Ruby for all tunings and mediums on Fast Eddie tuned C - C or lower

Only the Phosphor Bronze for me. I'd rather change strings every other week then deal with dead sounding, coated strings. I realize many people love 'em and get good results but there not for me. I had a very bad experience with Elixirs and their non existent customer service.

Best line I every heard was from an area rep to the owner of a local music store. "Coated strings? They just sound dead longer."

The last set of Newtone Master Class 12th Fret Special lights, (where they exchange the 6th string for a 56) were garbage, right out of the package. DEAD, dead, dead!!! My wife said I'd have got more tone if I was playing a cereal box. With in four days I had to yank them off. I was some disappointed.

So I went out and put together a set of PB D'Addario's. 13, 16, 26, 32, 42, 56 for Ruby's DADGCD tuning.

I'm going to need to find a sponsor real soon as it's getting danged expensive keeping strings on these three.

String gauge FYI:

Nylon Strings are usually in the following gauge: (readings are in inches)

.028 .032 .040 .030 .035 .043
E B G D A E
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th

Silk & Steel Strings are usually in the following gauge: (same order)

.011 .014 .023 .028 .038 .047

Steel Strings are usually in the following gauges (same order)

Extra Light .010 .014 .023 .030 .039 .047
Light .012 .016 .025 .032 .042 .054
Medium .013 .017 .026 .035 .045 .056
Heavy .014 .018 .027 .038 .048 .059

Light Gauge Steel Strings for a 12 String Guitar: (usually can't find any other gauge for 12 strings)

.010 .010 .014 .014 .023 .009 .030 .012 .039 .018 .047 .027
1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
since I'm always in lower non-standard tunings, I like to use mediums (13-56). The brand depends on the guitar, but I've really been enjoying the Elixir Phosphor Bronze nanowebs on my new Kronbauer. Once they've been on for a few days, they sound awesome IMO.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Best line I every heard was from an area rep to the owner of a local music store. "Coated strings? They just sound dead longer."

...while there is a degree of truth here, it completely ignores a few realities.

it also reminds me of those who dismiss noiseless pickups outright.

if i played my acoustic guitars every day and, especially, in demanding situations like live performances and recording sessions, it would make perfect sense for me to invest both the money and the time on frequent string changes using uncoated strings.

as it is, however, i am an electric player who only picks up an acoustic occasionally. what would be the point of putting uncoated strings on my acoustics if the next time i took the guitar out of its case the strings were all dead?

the coated strings on my acoustics, provided all six strings are coated, last me up to a year, or longer.

as well, i use only coated strings on my electrics, and for similar reasons: i have several electrics, and tend to rotate them or use them sporadically. a set of coated strings (again, provided all six strings are coated) will last at least six months.

-dh

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use medium gauge. Anything lighter doesn't drive the top of my guitar enough (Yes, I play a dread). With mediums my guitar sounds deeper.

·
Registered
306 Posts
D'Addario Bluegrass

I'm playing D'Addario mediums (.013 - .056) on my D-40 and D'Addario bluegrass (.012 - .056) on my L09K. I just switched to the bluegrass strings for my L09K and I really like the tone I am getting. They provide a little more ooomph on the bottom while ringing nice and bright on the top.

The difference is that the E, B & G strings are .012 .016 &.025 vs 0.13 .017 & .026 for the mediums. Light on top...mediums on the bottom.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm playing D'Addario mediums (.013 - .056) on my D-40 and D'Addario bluegrass (.012 - .056) on my L09K. I just switched to the bluegrass strings for my L09K and I really like the tone I am getting. They provide a little more ooomph on the bottom while ringing nice and bright on the top.

The difference is that the E, B & G strings are .012 .016 &.025 vs 0.13 .017 & .026 for the mediums. Light on top...mediums on the bottom.
Ooooh, Lolli! I hadn't heard of those D'Addario blue grass strings? I'm going to give them a try. They sound like the perfect balance between mediums and lights. Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just got rid of the cheap alloy strings that I had on my SG for about 2 weeks (I wanted to see if they were any good) and replaced them with Curt Mangan pure nickel 10-46. Just the sound I was looking for. These are great strings. The cheap steel core ones worked fine for a while, but I had a hard time keeping the guitar in tune and couldn't adjust the intonation (the string would go in an out of tune on the 12th fret). Besides, they sounded way too bright for that guitar. The Curt Mangan strings are easy to tune and adjust to the correct intonation.

I also switched the 9-42 Galli strings on my Strat with 10-46 nickel wrap steel core GHS boomers. Also a noted improvement in the tone. The 9-42, althought good strings, were far too slinky for my own tastes. The GHS are a bit stiff, not as slinky as the Curt Mangan pure nickel, but they have the brightness I wanted for the Strat.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I use phosphor bronze D'addario slims. I'm pretty sure the ones i got on there now are .09's.

They're great for my little acoustic, shallow body cutaway ibanez.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Pure Nickel 11 Gauge

Pure Nickel 11 Gauge is definitely my favorite gauge including GHS Nickel Rockers although they seem to be getting tougher to get, Gibson Vintage Reissues although the high E string seems to break more easily of late and the D'Addario Pure Nickels are fast becoming my favorite now that I have tried them. Although previously I had not used D'Addario strings much, since I opened my music store they have become my favorite string supplier as they are so supportive and I'm so sold on their product I'm using it almost exclusively for all my guitars. There is something about using 11 gauge pure nickel strings on electrics especially with Alnico pickups which just provides an absolutely fabulous tone especially if you like the blues, southern or blues based Rock and Roll. The bigger the string notwithstanding your finger strength provides more sustain, resonance and depth of tonality, but comfort should always be a big consideration.

Scotty

No Fret Music
Ponoka, Alberta
sdsre

1 - 20 of 33 Posts