The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm fairly new 2 guitar, i started in febuary and i LOVE it. I don't know anything about gear and all that. i just need to know what will help me preform/get better. i have a Hagstrom F-200 and a Roland Microcube. what gear should i ad to this?
:bow:
thanks guys,

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Time, patience, and practice.
More gear right now is the magic pill, a tuner maybe if you don't have one.
Yes, but toys certainly boost ones motivation (and a bit of dirt in your signal boosts your confidence because it is more forgiving).

Just don't waste too much money on gear for the moment. You'll end up with pedals that you never use and a big hole in your bank account.

The most practical thing for you to buy right now is one of the multi-effects pedals. You can get new ones for well under 100$ and used ones on eBay for even less.

If you've got a fast computer, you could also go with a USB di-box. I bought an Alden USB di-box because it came with software, but you can download some free and very good emulation software online. Do a search for 'vst plugins guitar' on Google and check here:

http://www.madtracker.org/plugins.php

I haven't tried this, but I read that with the right adapter jack, you hook up your guitar to your computer's mic socket and get the same results. (So, a 2$ adapter jack could work).

Oh, and you'll need to download ASIO4All, which will help you run it all on your onboard sound chip. I warn you, it can be difficult to set up. I was about to chuck my di-box in the trash when I accidentally figured out how to get the software to work properly (and I'm very computer savvy).

Either of those two, guitar to computer with VST amplifier and FX or an emulator pedal, should keep you going for the next year or two and won't break the bank. In my opinion, those are two the most sensible things to get for practicing on your own.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I need one of those! If I chain 3 or 4 together, will it help? :D

But seriously - practice, practice, practice! You don't need a whole lot of gear to get better - although I find that new gear always results in excess practice time for a short period of time. A tuner is always nice. A metronome really helps. Books if you learn better from books. Effects are fun to play around too... but make sure you focus on the playing!

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
lessons, unless you are already taking them

·
Registered
781 Posts
You're gear looks like a great rig to learn on. The microcube has a nice range of sounds and effects, I think you're set there. As others have said, practice and find a good guitar teacher, that's the most important. If you must spend money, get some CDs. Immerse yourself in every genre of music, and draw inspiration from it. Save buying effects until you've established your own style, and developed an ear for good tone. I bought some horrid effects when I was first starting out, and if I saved the money instead, I could probably buy some nice pedals now.

Just my 2¢

Andy

·
Registered
515 Posts
As others have said, practice. While its fun to use effects, sometimes you can become too dependant on them. I would also suggest that you do more theory, especially your scales. This will become invaluable down the road.

·
Registered
14,591 Posts
How much for the TB-4?
Nice satire by the way.

Let me add to those saying practice.
If you want to try different & new stuff--try different picks.
It might help keep the urge to spend on guiars down--and it should be fun as well.

Seek out opportunities to play with those better than you. Try to seek out those who are patient and open and interested in sharing to help.

Playing guitar with others who know more can be quite helpful--unless they're jerks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You know what really helped me. I've been playing for 20 plus years totally self taught, have been caught in multiple year ruts of playing the same garbage over and over again with a slightly different picking style a bend here a hammer on there.

The minute I started doing my own digital recording is when I noticed improvement by leaps and bounds in my playing.

Better timing, a platform to noodle over different experimental sounds I would normally not touch, more reward to correct bad playing, and a realization that I don't have to have fingers as fast as Zak Wilde to get good results. Great fun too by the way but if I knew that pedal GitaristZ posted I would have gone that way instead,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Definitely practice, I'll echo that. Lessons really help as well, at least they have helped me to progress. And I'm just taking some begineer group lessons once a week, but it forces me to pay attention to important things like keeping time, and it's great to have the opportunity to play with others. It also really helps with keeping my expectations realistic, as I can see how long it takes to improve, and that I am no different than any of the other guys in my class.

That pedal would be nice...wish I had one! I had bought a multi-effects pedal used, and it was quite useful in the beginning as I was able to practice through headphones and not worry about plugging in... I haven't used it much since starting the lessons though, as I've been using an acoustic for the lessons, and haven't really picked up the electric too much recently.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Oh, I think someone mentioned joining a group... I definitely agree with that. My bass playing has improved by leaps and bounds since I joined a band... it motivates me to practice because I don't want to be the one person who doesn't know the material when we get together :D Plus, I get pushed to learn songs in genres and by bands that I don't usually listen to, and that's a great thing b/c itgets me out of my little box.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Getting lessons and joining a band both helped me a lot . Maybe a bigger amp if you join a band , but liek the others said , don't waste moneyon gear until you know a bit more .

·
Registered
737 Posts
Oh, I think someone mentioned joining a group... I definitely agree with that. My bass playing has improved by leaps and bounds since I joined a band... it motivates me to practice because I don't want to be the one person who doesn't know the material when we get together :D Plus, I get pushed to learn songs in genres and by bands that I don't usually listen to, and that's a great thing b/c itgets me out of my little box.
+100 Jane! Exactly, that is where I progress on bass, playing in a band and I never would have bothered with stuff by CSN&Y, BG's, and a whole bunch of others if I was not playing in a band. For guitar, all I have to do to progress is cut my nails, (fret hand only and not the thumb), and practice.

I used to do recordings like Telenator suggested except I did it with two cassette recorders and a simple mixer, a lot of fun but takes a lot of time. Funny how you don't hear yourself play and when you hear the recording it's kinda surprising; "how did I do that?".
:wave:

·
Registered
324 Posts
+100 Jane! Exactly, that is where I progress on bass, playing in a band and I never would have bothered with stuff by CSN&Y, BG's, and a whole bunch of others if I was not playing in a band. For guitar, all I have to do to progress is cut my nails, (fret hand only and not the thumb), and practice.

I used to do recordings like Telenator suggested except I did it with two cassette recorders and a simple mixer, a lot of fun but takes a lot of time. Funny how you don't hear yourself play and when you hear the recording it's kinda surprising; "how did I do that?".
:wave:
LOL @ the nails... I keep all my nails short... I don't even try to grow them out, get manicures etc etc... it's hopeless! :D Guitar is more fun to play alone than bass... I love playing bass in a band though.

Or, alternatively, when I record, I go "damn, I didn't realize I was making so much noise!"

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If you can find it

A really good compilation book in the genre you like most. Like one of those "bible" books There's usually some easy, some more difficult and some hard.. It's helped me alot and as you go along you realise you're actually progressing as you get to the harder ones! Of course finding people to play with would be WAY more optimal, but if that's not an option....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey:

Be patient and practice a lot. Watching instructional DVD or live performance surely help a lot. It's important to see how other guitarist play!!!

Have fun!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts