The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Fender Heavy (slips a lot but best sound IMO).
Dunlop Tortex 1.14 (Doesnt slip, good sound)
Pickboy .70 (has a grip)
Pickboy 1.0 (Best overall sound, but slips).

Cant seem to find pickboy anywhere in Canada...

I have oily hands.

· Registered
1 Posts
Bread Clips, I find the Oroweat works the best. Nice and thick, still supple and keeps it snap longer than the Wonderbread clips. :rockon2:

Actually,
Dunlop Tortex Red (0.5), Orange (0.6) and Yellow (0.7)
Depends if playing acoustic or electric, rythm or lead, strumming or picking, heavy or soft, quiet or loud.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Milkman said:
I use these. I believe they're celluloid. Not nylon for sure.

They're 0.88 thick.

I buy them by the gross.

the picks are use are beautiful. not gross.

· Registered
31 Posts
The only pics I use now are Dunlop nylon .73mm or .88mm, grey.

I normally buy the MatchPik packs. Easier to just leave in my guitar case than a bunch of loose picks.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Milkman said:
What's gross is what I do with them I suppose.

Still fooling quite a few people though.
i play guitar with my picks. What do you use them for eh?:eek:
:rockon:

· Premium Member
23,016 Posts
David St Hubbins said:
This story needs and ending Milkman... lets hear it.

Sorry no story.

I've been playing for more than thirty years and playing gigs since '77 and so far very few people have figured out what a hack I am.

I suppose it's because of my movie star good looks,:eek:

· Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,411 Posts
WOW there are a lot of cool picks being used by the members of this forum. The handmade picks especially got my attention.

I discovered Brain picks about 7 years ago and I have been a user ever since... my main Brain is the 1mm grey Brain... I also like the 1.30 blue Brain. I find once I get up around 2mm it's getting a little to thick for my liking.
I also use other picks for variations in tone and attack but all are thicker rigid makes... I despise thin picks.
I have currently around 350 different picks that I have been collecting for over 20 years... I've tried just about every concievable material, guage, shape there is and I find the Brain 1mm to be spot on for me.

Craig

· Registered
1,411 Posts
About 7 years ago I recieved for Christmas a Trick Pick... it has one micro L.E.D. and a very thin button battery... yeah ofcoarse it lights up! It's a cool novalty but as a practical device it sucks. It cost around $8... $60 is waaay too much to pay for a novalty pick.

Craig

· Registered
297 Posts
Metal

You guys that use metal picks must be rich because when I was using an Aluminum pick I was going through a set of strings ever couple days........ The tone was also a bit brash sort of like using Stainless Steel fretwire.......it messes with the sound too much........ Just Dunlop Jazz pics for me

Ray

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Have you ever tried the copper picks... hotlicks... I believe they are called. They come in thinner guages than the aluminum tek pick and are a little smoother sounding. I tried them on a set of flat wound strings and the tone is good.. not to harsh. I did find that just about all metal pick sound harsh and mettalic which I do not like but the copper ones are not to bad. Still though it's not something I would use all the time. Try ceramic picks if you like the "idea" of metal picks. Better tone IMHO and they have the feel of metal picks.

KHINGPYNN

· Registered
300 Posts
Cat Tongue

The thought never really occurred to me to try any type of metal pick. Are you guys using these to play acoustic? I had been using a Dunlop .73 for the last couple of years but just switched to a .88 recently. I think my tone is better. The guitar shop was out of Dunlop in this gauge so I picked up some "cat tongues".

I have to admit I like the grip, and it tends to stay put in my fingers better. The Dunlop wheeled around in my fingers if I wasn't playing a lot and I had fallen out of practice.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.