The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,673 Posts
The inability to play the 12 I already have. Maybe the next one will be incredible action and feel... and then I can play like a pro.
exactly. "gamblers fallacy".

Plus, Im a 2nd generation hoarder.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
LOL.. I'm half joking, half serious. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to realize most gear-heads have addictive personalities. (Realistically, you could say that about most talented musicians.)

Obviously we have both needs and desires, depending on what music means to us. Some of my purchases are very practical, and easily justified. Some are definitely just me convincing myself that the grass is greener on the other side. If you find yourself absolutely obsessing over a piece of gear, to the point of focusing more on it than you are actually playing.. It might be time to practice some mindfulness and ask yourself what you're trying to avoid addressing in your life.

I have definitely correlated a lack of fulfillment in my life with increased spending on gear. I tend to obsess way more over gear when I'm not actively gigging... Which is ironic, because it's incredibly difficult to make informed decisions on tone when you're not even using the gear in context.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: There is no vaccine for the disease that is GAS.
I obsess over gear way more when I have the time to sit around and do that. When I have the time to sit around and do that, it's usually because nothing else is going on or work is slow. Being that I'm self employed, work being slow is a more depressing experience than it may be for those with normal jobs, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is some sort of lack of fulfillment thing.

The inability to play the 12 I already have. Maybe the next one will be incredible action and feel... and then I can play like a pro.
There's definitely an element of this, which is hilarious because I can't play ANY guitar as well as an SG and I know this. I've confirmed this 50+ times. Yet...

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Is it just me or are we all guilty about thinking that $2400 isnt a lot of money for a 2004 Les Paul Classic?? 🤭.
Thats what i want next.
2004 LP Classic in Antique or Vintage burst. The green inlays i thought were hideous in 05, but i want one now. With documents.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Is it just me or are we all guilty about thinking that $2400 isnt a lot of money for a 2004 Les Paul Classic?? .
Thats what i want next.
2004 LP Classic in Antique or Vintage burst. The green inlays i thought were hideous in 05, but i want one now. With documents.
You mean like this one?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can identify with most of the reasons already mentioned. But I can also think of several reasons why I don't want another guitar.
  • Don't want to, or can't, spend the money.
  • Don't want to haggle.
  • Don't want buyer's remorse.
  • Don't want to go through the whole process of finding things wrong with it and either modding or selling it.
  • Don't want to have to adapt to a new guitar.
  • Don't want to have to set it up.
  • Too lazy to go on a guitar safari.
  • Don't have any more space.
I'm sort of at equilibrium with guitars. If I get another, that means selling a guitar I actually like, so that's a disincentive for me.

Long story long: too broke and too lazy to be bothered with more guitars in actuality. But I don't mind the idea of a new one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a list based on a book my Dad had buried away in the book case. He got an acoustic and that book and tried to learn how to play. It mostly sat in the corner for years, until I changed the strings and learned how to tune it and I was off! It was The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. I've still got the book. It's pretty battered. It's an old 80's copy with a cool walnut EB bass on the cover amongst other cool guitars. On the inside cover there is a picture of a 335 and boogie combo... I've got the boogie combo, I'm working on the 335! I've read it cover to cover hundreds of times and I still pull things from the chord book at the back.

Most of my collection is based of the guitars and players profiled in this book. There is enough in there to keep me busy for the rest of my life. I'm looking to get all the guitars on that list to pass on to my kids... I don't look at it as a collection. It's my legacy to them! My kids are super young, 2.5 and 1 so they got a long way to go. They both show an active interest in music (and METAL!) I play drums with the little guy all the time. So now that I'm in this phase of life, it's more about acquiring to share them with those kids.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I don’t GAS.
I’m not gonna be the guy who leaves behind a garage full of junk for people to sort through in 50 years.

I’ll be the guy who leaves my favourite grandchild a ‘59 VOS ES 330 with decades of ware and character.

Pussy and pain are the only two pieces of gear anyone needs to make music.

·
Registered
15,322 Posts
One one hand I am happy with what I have--if I never buy another guitar I'm okay (Well unless I lose some along the way-I may want to replace them)
I'm not actively considering another guitar purchase (Although I have in the past)

On the other had there are guitars I'd like to have if the right one came along & I could afford it at the time.
I can still see myself buying another one at some point.

But if not--I'm okay with it.

But I understand the attraction to having more guitars than I currently have.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
I have 3 strats, 2 teles, and 1 les paul. If I add another guitar type, I'll need one more of each to keep the guitar pyramid in balance!

I have a list based on a book my Dad had buried away in the book case. He got an acoustic and that book and tried to learn how to play. It mostly sat in the corner for years, until I changed the strings and learned how to tune it and I was off! It was The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer. I've still got the book. It's pretty battered. It's an old 80's copy with a cool walnut EB bass on the cover amongst other cool guitars. On the inside cover there is a picture of a 335 and boogie combo... I've got the boogie combo, I'm working on the 335! I've read it cover to cover hundreds of times and I still pull things from the chord book at the back.....
That's a favorite book of mine. I got a used copy a few years ago, and it's my go to book for chords and general music theory. I learn something everytime I pick it up.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Pussy and pain are the only two pieces of gear anyone needs to make music.
Edgy! Very impressive! Which of the two do you use for preproduction in the studio? And are we talking about self inflicted pain? What about outdoor festival gigs? Does your rig change depending on the venue, or is it more focused on sounding super badass?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Edgy! Very impressive! Which of the two do you use for preproduction in the studio? And are we talking about self inflicted pain? What about outdoor festival gigs? Does your rig change depending on the venue, or is it more focused on sounding super badass?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Pussy is a euphemism for cunt and a dysphemism for love when used in a phrase about “pain and pussy” in a 2005 drama entitled “hustle and flow”. It is touching in the essence of what music is about.

Which is where the reference was derived from.

As for me, I like to interact with the female vagina and contend with the pain of heartbreak. And then I like to listen to music that talks about both of these things.

Would you like me to share some links about how to operate a human vagina?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
There was a time when I bought new guitars (and amps and pedals) because they were different from what I already had and I figured I needed at least one of every kind so I could "cover all my bases". Years later I have come to know what I like and what I don't like; what works for me and what doesn't and my need for versatility is greatly diminished. I have found myself. I have found my sound and my style. Something I should have done long before but I'm glad I finally arrived. Nowadays, the only time GAS has any affect on me is when I see something that might help me sharpen the focus of my sound and my style. Put a finer point on it. My wallet is very grateful to me for having become this man.

·
Registered
36 Posts
During COVID, I've been buying gear largely out of boredom. I find that half the fun is researching the gear and finding out what's out there. Unfortunately, this practice has resulted in me buying gear only to sell it a few weeks/months later at a loss. Last year, I bought a Les Paul studio (sold a few months later); a Fender Tele Pro (sold a few weeks later); and a Carr Raleigh amp (sold a week later). I also picked up a Les Paul Standard, which I'm keeping for now. :)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
There was a time when I bought new guitars (and amps and pedals) because they were different from what I already had and I figured I needed at least one of every kind so I could "cover all my bases". Years later I have come to know what I like and what I don't like; what works for me and what doesn't and my need for versatility is greatly diminished. I have found myself. I have found my sound and my style. Something I should have done long before but I'm glad I finally arrived. Nowadays, the only time GAS has any affect on me is when I see something that might help me sharpen the focus of my sound and my style. Put a finer point on it. My wallet is very grateful to me for having become this man.
Agreed. It took me a long time to figure out that just because I like a guitar doesn't mean I have to own it. I also stopped trying to emulate my hero's long ago and learned that it's okay to play Led Zeppelin tunes on a Strat.
For all the guys who love buying and selling, all the power to ya. There's a lot of joy to be had in that too, I've just hit a point in life where I'm content to focus on what I have and focus any new gear acquisitions on enhancing what I've already got.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts