The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lately I’ve been very content with my current collection of gear (which is still too big) and then all of a sudden I get it in my head I want a 54 Goldtop Les Paul (reissue for financial reasons).

No idea why as I don’t need another Les Paul or guitar with P90s as that’s more than covered in what I have.

I honestly thought there were only 2 more on my list (hollow body jazz style and I want to build a tele partscaster) and now there are 3......

So strange. Anyone else find GAS randomly bubble up for no real good reason?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Anyone else find GAS randomly bubble up for no real good reason?

Seriously?? Uhhhhh, ya!! All the time! I don't even think it can be called "random" anymore.

My first real electric was a (Harmony) Strat copy I got for Christmas when I was 14. I only had that one single guitar till the early 90's. I went halves with my parents for a Vantage electric/acoustic. Then I got a screaming deal on an Ibanez RG-500. Had those till I moved into my own place (95/96). Got a super cheap nylon string by Lyon. I had it about a year when my cat... (I have never owned another cat because of this) jumped onto the window ledge, knocked a wooden box off which landed on the side of the Lyon on the stand. Dented a good hole into it! FAAAACK!!! (I will now & forever hate all cats). Thankfully the recently purchased Simon & Patrick 12 was in the case. The Vantage's neck was too narrow for me so I traded it in for a Samick Greg Bennett Pro Series OM-7.
Keeping score, from 1987 till 2005 I owned a total of 5 guitars. 18 years= 5 guitars covering all sorts of sound pallets.

I am now (at last count) up to 26 guitars! 16yrs = 21 (more) guitars covering more sound pallets, with a fair amount of redundancy!

I have a hankering for 3 more, but the reality is I would then (actually) thin the heard to just the ones I want and sell/donate/permanently loan out the others to get under 20.

Unlike purses, these may actually have some (at least partial) return on investment.

·
Premium Member
3,431 Posts
We'll see... I just picked up the "last" of the guitars on my list (except for the custom built acoustic that is so far into the future that it is barely worth mentioning). I am, however, eyeing up a kit guitar - though I tell myself that that is more about broadening my technical horizons than owning another guitar. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I am on the acoustic side.
Years ago, it was iconic players preference, then comfort.
Now that I discovered the specs that work best fo me, it is sound.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I used to pretend it was to cover all possible styles, so I need all possible types of guitars. Now I use the excuse, ( and it is true) with a new guitar ill be inspired to play more. that lasts about 2 weeks per guitar before they go into rotation. But i guess it comes down to the fact that they are beautiful objects. Good ones are also functional and sound great, but I even buy the strange old 50-60's junk imports because they are like 1950 cars with such a cool look, who cares if a hockey stick has a straighter neck, this is art!

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
For me its pure lust and greed. I don't need another guitar. I'm trying to simplify my life now. Was almost going to get rid of all my electric gear (again) as I'll likely never gig again. I sold my custom shop 52 Tele this past weekend and decided to hang on to my less expensive but equally impressive Mexican made Brad Paisley road worn. That with my 67 pro reverb and a few pedals, I do enjoy firing up the amp at home every now and then. I'll likely get bouts of gas but I will stick to my plan. Once I downsize in house in a few years I don't even know if I'll have room for my current electric gear.
Just an F.Y.I for those selling, it seems guitars are going like hotcakes at least on Kijiji. I had my CS52 on here for a week or 2 with not a single bite. I put it over on Kijiji and had it sold in about a day. Luckily someone from my hometown, so it was a quick sale.
I also had my other Tele advertised and the very same day I sold my 52 a guy wanted to come over and purchase at my asking. But I changed my mind on that one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So lately I’ve been very content with my current collection of gear (which is still too big) and then all of a sudden I get it in my head I want a 54 Goldtop Les Paul (reissue for financial reasons).

No idea why as I don’t need another Les Paul or guitar with P90s as that’s more than covered in what I have.

I honestly thought there were only 2 more on my list (hollow body jazz style and I want to build a tele partscaster) and now there are 3......

So strange. Anyone else find GAS randomly bubble up for no real good reason?
Not so much that it “bubbles up” randomly- its there lurking constantly lol. Mine is with acoustics mostly, not always, but some are just too beautiful to not own. Over time it’s changed to the constant never ending search for that perfect combination - just the right neck feel, the ultimate tone, range, sustain, weight, looks - which of course being subjective changes over time and fuels the GAS even further.

·
Premium Member
18,096 Posts
I'm fortunate as I like light weight ( i.e., 6 lbs. or under) electric guitars and I don't often find them...I know, I know...how silly can you get.
I have three electric guitars at the moment and I'm not bored with them.

@Dan Caldwell This is an interesting idea for a thread. Should be fun.

·
Premium Member
17,548 Posts
It looks good, the brand has a good track record, and i dont have that one at the moment.

Current GAS is a Nash custom order JM63 with binding and blocks. Then dunable posts an R2 and a Yeti with those things for less than said Nash order.

Only, i dont have the money right now either way.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I’ve actually considered this a lot and have to be aware that a new guitar isn’t going to make me happy (for long). Odd enough I get the same boost when I sell a guitar (but that might be because I can then buy another)....
LOL.. I'm half joking, half serious. It doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes to realize most gear-heads have addictive personalities. (Realistically, you could say that about most talented musicians.)

Obviously we have both needs and desires, depending on what music means to us. Some of my purchases are very practical, and easily justified. Some are definitely just me convincing myself that the grass is greener on the other side. If you find yourself absolutely obsessing over a piece of gear, to the point of focusing more on it than you are actually playing.. It might be time to practice some mindfulness and ask yourself what you're trying to avoid addressing in your life.

I have definitely correlated a lack of fulfillment in my life with increased spending on gear. I tend to obsess way more over gear when I'm not actively gigging... Which is ironic, because it's incredibly difficult to make informed decisions on tone when you're not even using the gear in context.

I have said it before, and I will say it again: There is no vaccine for the disease that is GAS.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
For me I’ve always wanted guitars since I was a little kid watching my dad and older brother play (A gibson ES125). A few years later as a teen I dreamed of being an adult who could work and buy an Electric (or several) of my choice. Now in my mid fifties I’ve probably owned close to a hundred, but since the bug progressed, I bought, then sold or traded to get the “next” guitar. I currently own 3 electrics and 3 acoustics. How may guitars does one need......”just one more”!! Ultimately it’s the sound of what my hero’s played, and as I got more into it, I loved how guitars felt, looked, resonate, the whole deal!! Still do feel that way, I enjoy hearing/seeing/playing what my friends have, Youtube, whatever music I’m listening to effects what I want. For the most part I control myself, but every once in awhile I figure “what the heck“...

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I’ve actually considered this a lot and have to be aware that a new guitar isn’t going to make me happy (for long). Odd enough I get the same boost when I sell a guitar (but that might be because I can then buy another)....
Pretty much the only reason I’ve ever sold a guitar too!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
The last word on this I’ll say is while I still enjoy ”the pursuit or the chase, as some would say”, I get waaay more enjoyment on playing for people at a gig, and probably more-so in playing music and creating for myself.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts