The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that speakers size/types have a huge impact on sound, but what makes the early Marshall 4x12 so good? Ok, I’m using sims, so who knows just how accurate it really is, but I tend to prefer it over all other cabs and with any amp.

My two favourite combinations right now are “59 Marshall” amp with its matching 4x12 and “Fender Vibro” through the same Marshall cab. Most other amp sims through this cab are decent to great, even if their preset matching cabs makes them sound horrible.

Again, I’m not sure if my simulator is even remotely accurate (Zoom G3), or if the early Marshall cabs really are that set apart from the rest. The sound is huge and articulate regardless of gain or effect.

For you real time users of these beasts, how do they stack up for you? Pun intended.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
Werent the first ones loaded with greenbacks? That's only 100W power handling, and i dont know what the average amp wattage was. But that means speaker breakup if you're cranking up a 100w plexi or equivalent.

Im sure some part of any allure is nostalgia as well.

I suspect any zoom pedal isnt going to be as accurate with their modeling as say a first edition axe fx or line 6 pod (both of which have been greatly improved upon). It may just be the cab sim that sounds the best in that particular pedal.

If you want to test more in depth, download reaper, a demo version of amplitube or something and see how the cabs stack up.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ve tried a whole bunch of simulators. Everything is been a flop except for the G3. I don’t think my 1st Gen iPad mini is up to the task. They all sound the same and they all sound terrible. Like gain through a snare drum. You might remember my thread about getting set up with sims

Back then I quit trying when I discovered the G3 through headphones. It’s sims are terrible through a tube amp (obviously) but not bad through my old Yorkville SS. Through the headphones, it’s glorious.

And yes, you could be quite right that it’s not all that accurate and just great sounding to my ears.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts